The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: What if there was an expansion draft?

BigTed3

There are rumors that the NHL might proceed with another round of expansion in the near future, despite the fact talent is already watered down and the league has far larger problems. Assuming there was an upcoming draft and the rules were the same as the last expansion, the Habs would be allowed to protect either

- 9 forwards, 5 D, and 1 goalie or

- 7 forwards, 3 D, and 2 goalies

Players on entry level deals do not need to be protected. Let's also assume the Habs re-sign impending free agents like Weise, Fleischmann, DSP, Gilbert, Barberio, and so on. So if these are the players who need to be protected, tell us which ones you are choosing to protect in the draft:

Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Weise, Fleischmann, DSP, Mitchell, Byron, Flynn, Andrighetto, Bournival, Dumont, Carr, Lessio, Friberg, Scott, Holloway

Subban, Markov, Petry, Beaulieu, Gilbert, Emelin, Barberio, Pateryn, Hanley, Bartley, Bennett, Dietz, Ellis

Price, Condon, Scrivens

So tell us which guys you'd protect and also which two players you think would be most likely to be claimed of the ones you don't protect.

Guest habs1952

- 9 forwards, 5 D, and 1 goalie or

Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Weise, Andrighetto, Dumont, Carr,

Subban, Petry, Beaulieu, Barberio, Pateryn,

Price,

AHL picks are a crapshoot for me since I don't know much, if anything, about them.

Personally I'd protect:

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Eller, Plekanec, Andrighetto, Carr, Weise, Desharnais

Subban, Petry, Beaulieu, Barberio, Ellis

Price

And my guess as to who gets claimed:

1. Emelin

2. DSP

But looking at the line-up, we actually don't have a ton to lose right now. We have a limited number of top-end guys and then a lot of grinders playing depth roles who are easily interchangeable and replaceable. Right now, we don't need to protect the McCarron's, Scherbak's, Fucale's, and Hudon's, which helps... interestingly, this might be one way to unload the Emelin contract given his NTC.

Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Weise, Fleischmann, DSP, Mitchell, Byron, Flynn, Andrighetto, Bournival, Dumont, Carr, Lessio, Friberg, Scott, Holloway

Subban, Markov, Petry, Beaulieu, Gilbert, Emelin, Barberio, Pateryn, Hanley, Bartley, Bennett, Dietz, Ellis

Price, Condon, Scrivens

Past rules have also allowed you to protect another player once you lost one, if i recall.

I assume we'd likely lose a veteran Dman like Marky or Emelin in which case i'd then protect more youth like Ellis.

If we lost a 2nd guy, then most likely it would be DD or the second of Marky / Emelin

Of course all this thinking goes out the door if an expansion team opts to go with youth alone, and not a mixture of veteran/youth as most would expect. They could always go with the best youth available from each team, and then go the UFA market to pick up some vets.

Guest habs1952

Price, Condon, Scrivens

Past rules have also allowed you to protect another player once you lost one, if i recall.

I assume we'd likely lose a veteran Dman like Marky or Emelin in which case i'd then protect more youth like Ellis.

If we lost a 2nd guy, then most likely it would be DD or the second of Marky / Emelin

Of course all this thinking goes out the door if an expansion team opts to go with youth alone, and not a mixture of veteran/youth as most would expect. They could always go with the best youth available from each team, and then go the UFA market to pick up some vets.

I thought you couldn't lose more than one player from one position (once you lose one D-man the rest are once again protected).

You really think someone would pick up Markov?

I thought you couldn't lose more than one player from one position (once you lose one D-man the rest are once again protected).

You really think someone would pick up Markov?

I think Marky is as likely a candidate as Emelin,,,,which is why i wouldn't protect either one. Not impossible that a new team seeking a good vet might just gamble on Marky. I doubt it, but never say never.

I think Marky is as likely a candidate as Emelin,,,,which is why i wouldn't protect either one. Not impossible that a new team seeking a good vet might just gamble on Marky. I doubt it, but never say never.

Right. Markov isn't an overly desirable acquisition right now. But for an expansion team with almost zero chance of being able to spend to the cap, why not try to fill your roster with a veteran who can play the PP? I think it's mainly about finding players who complement each other. Expansion teams may want to find 75% of their players among guys who are younger and have the potential to be better, but they also need a handful of veterans to lead the way.

I'm having a hard time coming up with enough names I actually want to protect at this point.

Which makes you speculate whether the Habs could use an expansion draft to their advantage to acquire other team's players... ahead of the draft, say a team like Chicago or LA or so on has 10-11 good forwards they want to protect but can't. You offer them a draft pick or prospect who is draft-protected and maybe you can acquire a guy who fits into our top 9.

Archived