The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Selling at the Trade Deadline

BigTed3

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you try to trade at the deadline?

With the trade deadline approaching and with the Habs looking like they're going to be sellers, some tough decisions await Marc Bergevin. It's probably a given that he'll be open to dealing veterans like Tomas Fleischmann and Tom Gilbert who are heading towards UFA status. There's also a fairly widespread sentiment that Alexei Emelin should be made available if he permitted the waiving of his NTC, so we won't discuss that here.

There are, however, several players whose trading might be more debatable. Veterans Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Markov are signed past this year and have no-trade clauses, but could be valuable to a team down the stretch if they accept paying them past this year. Are they still valuable to the Habs or should MB try to move them? If so, is the trade deadline the right time to do so or do you wait for the summer?

The team may also want to look at creating space at center for Galchenyuk or McCarron or Scherbak/Hudon to move there next year. Does that mean Lars Eller or David Desharnais needs to go too? Will DD have any value trying to come back from injury? Does Eller provide more value if he stays or if he is trade bait?

And are impending UFA's Weise and Byron players the Habs should try to re-sign or are they trade chips that could help us acquire other assets?

You are free to make as many or as few choices as you like, but tell us which of these players you would be actively looking to trade AT THE DEADLINE if you were Marc Bergevin.

weise flashy and gilbert are all as good as gone imo

emelin very well might be as well

eller 100% cannot be traded. he is a posession monster, underrated (mainly because) underutilized offensive ability, and a great 2 way forward. recent quote from a western scout....elite 3rd line center on any team. this is a huge puzzle piece, if we trade him we have to fill it again

DD should be a priority move. i would do it at the deadline for a bag of pucks, but if we want to wait until summer, whatever, but he 100% should be gone

I selected Plekanec, Desharnais & Markov. Personally I feel these are the dead weights of the choices in this particular bunch, and who offer very little for our team.

plek and markov i would trade in the offseason for a good return, if there is one to be had. if someone wants to give us something nice then ok, but i think we would get lowballed at the deadline

i put captain patch in that mix as well, as i have stated a bunch of times

a normal coach with common sense would use marky as a 3rd pairing guy at this point and i think he has value there, same thing as plek. id play eller at 2c next year and plek at 3, and just ride out that contract. neither of those guys is a must move

weise flashy and gilbert are all as good as gone imo

emelin very well might be as well

eller 100% cannot be traded. he is a posession monster, underrated (mainly because) underutilized offensive ability, and a great 2 way forward. recent quote from a western scout....elite 3rd line center on any team. this is a huge puzzle piece, if we trade him we have to fill it again

DD should be a priority move. i would do it at the deadline for a bag of pucks, but if we want to wait until summer, whatever, but he 100% should be gone

plek and markov i would trade in the offseason for a good return, if there is one to be had. if someone wants to give us something nice then ok, but i think we would get lowballed at the deadline

i put captain patch in that mix as well, as i have stated a bunch of times

a normal coach with common sense would use marky as a 3rd pairing guy at this point and i think he has value there, same thing as plek. id play eller at 2c next year and plek at 3, and just ride out that contract. neither of those guys is a must move

Of course it would become a moot point, and I would have to take it all back, and would have to reconsider if a 'normal coach with common sense' were to arrive in the big picture, as this would potentially change the dynamics of the way players are utilized and how some may become less of a detriment to the team as a result of poor coaching techniques. Therein lies the root of our problems in my opinion. -_-

I selected Plekanec, Desharnais & Markov. Personally I feel these are the dead weights of the choices in this particular bunch, and who offer very little for our team.

Pleks is a dead weight and offers very little? He's on pace for 60 points.

I selected Weise and Desharnais. I think Weise will be traded for certain. Desharnais, IMO, will be difficult to move.

I am fine to part with Byron, as well... but I also think his value in the bottom six for next season could be greater than the return we would get for him at the trade deadline now. He's proven to be a dangerous penalty-killer and has a lot of speed.

Also, why no Gilbert on this list?

I'd be open to moving anyone with an expiring contract. On the list above, the only ones I wouldn't be actively shopping are Lars Eller and Paul Byron. With that said, if teams came calling about either of them, I'd certainly listen. I just wouldnt trade them for the sake of trading them, there would have to be a good return.

- Gilbert isn't on the list because I think he and Fleischmann are obviously going to be guys MB is floating around. Does it mean they will be traded? No. Maybe no one wants them. But as I said in my first post, I don't think there's much need to debate that they should be offered up as veteran UFA guys.

- I chose to actively pursue trading DD, Markov, and Weise off that list of players. Again, not to say there is a market for the first two, but I don't see either guy being an important part of the team going forward and I think the cap space for each can better be spent elsewhere. I wouldn't give these guys away, and maybe the market would be better in the off-season, but I don't think you need a perfect trade either. I would be throwing their names out there to see what you can get and if there's a decent draft pick or prospect to be had, you take what you can.

- Weise on the other hand is a guy who could potentially still fit into our line-up for a few years as a 4th liner. The problem there is that he wants to be paid like a 2nd or 3rd liner after his one career year. Good for him, he'll get a payday somewhere, but in the cap era, a savvy GM won't overpay for a bottom-line player. I think if you're MB you've already explored what it would take to re-sign Weise. Maybe you offer him 2-3 years at 1.5M per season. I doubt that would get it done though and so barring a deal, you again take what you can get on the trade market.This year is shot, and Weise has value as a playoff player and impending UFA still in his prime.

- I wouldn't trade Eller because I see him as a valuable part of the team. I wouldn't actively look at trading Plekanec, although I would listen to offers if they were made to me. And Byron, as someone else said, probably has pretty little trade value compared to what he's giving us and might still fit in as a 4th liner here next year.

Everybody but Eller and Plekanec. I don't buy the "Plekanec can't get it done" conventional wisdom, I think he's a very valuable part of the team. Unless a contender wants to massively overpay, we do better keeping him IMO. I have to echo the comments on Desharnais; he's just not a fit, in any circumstances, and we have to give some thought to the terrifying possibility that Michel Therrien remains the coach of the Montreal Canadiens going into 2016-17. Should that be the case, I want Desharnais gone yesterday for anything—if only to make sure Therrien can't continue to misuse him to the team's detriment. That's the move that really needs to be made.

Guest habs1952

DD......Eller has much more value to the Habs staying here.

Byron.....I'd like to get bigger in the bottom six. I think we need a little sandpaper.(No, not a goon)

Markov....Pretty much past his expiration date. Dangle a carrot and see if he'd like a shot at a cup with a contender.

Would try actively to trade Byron, Weise, Markov, Desharnais, and perhaps Emelin. Byron is nice but there's a guy like him on waivers every year. Weise is also a totally fine 3rd liner but I think he'll cost too much as the legend of Dale Weise has got a bit out of hand. Markov is in steep decline and Beaulieu is in my opinion a better player now, it would be wise to sell high here while Markov is still a reasonable top 4 guy. Desharnais there likely isn't much of a market for but I think he has to go as Hudon, Eller, Plekanec, and Galchenyuk are all at least better centers with McCarron knocking on the door. I'd be more comfortable with keeping Desharnais around if I were confident we'd have a new coach, but I'm seriously doubting that. Emelin has been barely a #6 and being paid like a #4, I feel that his perceived vialue would be higher around the league due to his physicality so it'd be ideal to move the guy.

Didn't vote Plekanec but I wouldn't be totally against the idea of trading him if the right deal came up. I think he's still been good this year and has a lot left in the tank, but at 33 he's declining and I can see the logic in selling high. I don't "want" the Canadiens to trade him but I can understand the logic and I think there's a chance you'd get a good deal out of it. Then again, he's also the kind of guy you want on a contending team and this team flat out needs to be contending within the next 2 seasons with Price's deal coming up.

Only player on this list I really don't want to move is Eller. He's not a core player or untouchable, I just don't see him as the kind of player you'd get fair value for. He strikes me as the kind of player you swindle somebody out of, almost like a Mark Barberio of forwards. I just don't see how you come out ahead moving a 26 year old with size who's a fantastic defensive center and penalty killer with goal scoring ability on such a cheap deal.

I voted for Markov, he is now one of the most expensive liabilities in the league. It does not matter how many points he gets anymore as he is losing games for the team. He has done a lot for the organization during his career but unfortunately his physical abilities have deteriorated so much recently that he is no longer a NHL calibre top # 4 defenseman. Ultimately I do not blame him (as he still has high intelligence decision making to survive as much as he has already) but I do blame TH for playing him in situations where he can no longer keep up with NHL speedier levels...Maybe a desperate buyer would bite? I doubt it.

I didn't see a single name that could not be moved for the right return.

Fair enough, but could say that about any player. Who are you actively looking to trade, calling other GM's about, willing to part with for futures/draft picks/prospects? We're not talking hockey trades here, where we get an equal player or established player back. We're asking who you're making a deadline deal to part ways with.

Lars Eller's name is also on the trade block ;) . Who knows, maybe even Beaulieu could be traded? Momentum appears to be building towards a massive dismantling exercise, regardless of talent.

Watch this management blow up the roster, especially when they themselves anticipate to be given marching orders come the off-season.

Lars Eller's name is also on the trade block ;) . Who knows, maybe even Beaulieu could be traded? Momentum appears to be building towards a massive dismantling exercise, regardless of talent.

Watch this management blow up the roster, especially when they themselves anticipate to be given marching orders come the off-season.

Given that Marc Bergevin was the one who has instilled the "No Excuses" mantra, and yet, has made every excuse for MT, I don't see how his firing isn't one of them as well.

Pleks is a dead weight and offers very little? He's on pace for 60 points.

With all due respect to Plekanec, I believe that at this juncture, he is more of a liability than an asset to our team. Although I am willing to consider that this may be entirely due to our coaching issues with MT and his (MT's) inability to properly make usage of our assets, I think Plekanec has lacked inspiration and enthusiasm this year and perhaps this is a direct result of MT's grinders philosophy as opposed to letting skilled players perform.

I think Plekanec is still an asset. No doubt this season he has been less consistent than in other years, but much of that is a reflection of how poorly the entire team has looked for long stretches. The real question in my view is whether you hang on to him for his value in the the next 2-3 years or whether you trade him before he becomes a declining asset. Look at Markov and how much his game has fallen off. Look at Hamrlik and Kaberle and Briere and Kovalev and so on. All of these players were very good at one point and then hit a moment in their careers where they just couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. I wonder if that will happen to Plekanec in the near future. The Habs are really not far off from being Cup contenders with Carey, a new coach, a new system, and an extra 2-3 players. So if you think Plekanec can win you a Cup in the next 2-3 years, I think you keep him. If you don't think so, you move him now before he declines sharply. Either way though, I don't see the trade deadline as being the right time to get max value. I think you make a hockey trade in the summer to get a return of something that can help you right away, not picks/prospects, which don't help all that much when you have a core nucleus that can compete for a Cup right away.

I think Plekanec is still an asset. No doubt this season he has been less consistent than in other years, but much of that is a reflection of how poorly the entire team has looked for long stretches. The real question in my view is whether you hang on to him for his value in the the next 2-3 years or whether you trade him before he becomes a declining asset. Look at Markov and how much his game has fallen off. Look at Hamrlik and Kaberle and Briere and Kovalev and so on. All of these players were very good at one point and then hit a moment in their careers where they just couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. I wonder if that will happen to Plekanec in the near future. The Habs are really not far off from being Cup contenders with Carey, a new coach, a new system, and an extra 2-3 players. So if you think Plekanec can win you a Cup in the next 2-3 years, I think you keep him. If you don't think so, you move him now before he declines sharply. Either way though, I don't see the trade deadline as being the right time to get max value. I think you make a hockey trade in the summer to get a return of something that can help you right away, not picks/prospects, which don't help all that much when you have a core nucleus that can compete for a Cup right away.

A very balanced assessment of the Plekanec situation in my opinion. Emphasis in bold.

I wouldn't make any deals at this point either. Look to the summer and see what the team can get in free agency and the draft. They may get a pretty good player out of the draft this year. I do think they need a very competent backup goalie. I'm concerned this team needs someone other than Carey Price who can win them some games.

Archived