The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#24 Phillip Danault

I thought he looked pretty good out there for his first game.

There's an interesting story developing that apparently Bergevin actually has tried to acquire Danault a few times. We know he was integral in drafting him but apparently MB has felt that Danault has a lot more potential than he's been allowed to develop in Chicago. The suggestion is that while he was a 4th line centre in Chicago, on a lot of teams he'd have the potential to move up to at least 3rd, possibly the 2nd line. Its a strategy thats' worked in the past: find a team that is very deep at a position & acquire their 3rd or 4th tier player at the position. On many teams he may actually be a lot higher up the depth charts, getting stifled in his current system.

Time will tell what kind of player he can develop into but I get the sense that we acquired him with the hopes he may end up being more than a bottom 6 player.

I thought he looked pretty good out there for his first game.

There's an interesting story developing that apparently Bergevin actually has tried to acquire Danault a few times. We know he was integral in drafting him but apparently MB has felt that Danault has a lot more potential than he's been allowed to develop in Chicago. The suggestion is that while he was a 4th line centre in Chicago, on a lot of teams he'd have the potential to move up to at least 3rd, possibly the 2nd line. Its a strategy thats' worked in the past: find a team that is very deep at a position & acquire their 3rd or 4th tier player at the position. On many teams he may actually be a lot higher up the depth charts, getting stifled in his current system.

Time will tell what kind of player he can develop into but I get the sense that we acquired him with the hopes he may end up being more than a bottom 6 player.

But, that's the thing, Jed,,, would he be able to develop his full potential here under MT?

• 3 months later...

Has yet to accept his qualifying offer.

Not the biggest problem. He has almost no leverage and he was very average after we acquired him last year. If he wants to sit out a bit, we won't have trouble finding someone else to patch a 3rd/4th line hole.

fixed it :P

The only leverage he has is that he's French-Canadian. The French media (and consequently Marc Bergevin) panicked big time when Desharnais got hurt last year and we played a game with no Francophones in the line-up. It was actually an ordeal, as stupid as that sounds. And as a result, MB went out and got Danault. So that's the leverage he has. If it wasn't for that, there's nothing that makes him stand out any more than Hudon, Andrighetto, Carr, DLR, etc.

Guest Regis2

The French media (and consequently Marc Bergevin) panicked big time when Desharnais got hurt last year and we played a game with no Francophones in the line-up.

Amd It was during that time that they found out that Gally could play center :o

The only leverage he has is that he's French-Canadian. The French media (and consequently Marc Bergevin) panicked big time when Desharnais got hurt last year and we played a game with no Francophones in the line-up. It was actually an ordeal, as stupid as that sounds. And as a result, MB went out and got Danault. So that's the leverage he has. If it wasn't for that, there's nothing that makes him stand out any more than Hudon, Andrighetto, Carr, DLR, etc.

This is where this team suffers the most; politics over skill.

30 games with the Hawks 5 pts

21 games with the Habs 5 pts

And he emerged as Eller's replacement

eller never "emerged" despite turning into a league wide consensus top level shutdown player, but this kid did by doing essentially nothing in 20 games

sounds great, im sure we will be right back to cup contendership

Guest Regis2

Its more of MB saying that PD has "emerged " as Ellers replacement

Not sure what PD has done to emerge as his replacement

We got kids in the minors get called up and sit on the bench or play 2 minutes and this guy appears to have been given a roster spot on the team.

Its his end of story

Dannault should be in a much better position having a training camp with the team and some exhibition games under his belt. While I liked Eller and he served a good role he seemed to have plateaued in Montreal over the last two seasons. Hopefully he can get it going in Washington. In the mean time I have been impressed by this youngsters play so far.

Wow tough crowd! kid has 53 games in the nhl and we just call him a bust? such a huge sample size.

Its more of MB saying that PD has "emerged " as Ellers replacement

Not sure what PD has done to emerge as his replacement

We got kids in the minors get called up and sit on the bench or play 2 minutes and this guy appears to have been given a roster spot on the team.

Its his end of story

Yeah I mean I don't think anyone can complain about Danault, we've just lost faith in the opinions of management

I think these last two comments are spot on in response to your statement, Ramcharger. I don't think we can say Danault is a bust, and in fact, he did some things very well after coming over here last year. Very smart player, sound positionally, nice speed... but the two issues pointed out here are

1. Danault was given much more of an opportunity than other prospects with the same or more experience than him. McCarron, Hudon, Scherbak, Thomas, Andrighetto, DLR, Bournival... all guys who have had to fight much harder to get what he was given. Danault showed up here, and despite the fact Therrien had been stating he couldn't find the ice time to play Galchenyuk and Eller at center, Danault is handed the 3C role in his first game. There was favoritism to him from the time he showed up, which irks us as fan to know players aren't being treated equally.

2. Bergevin's comment about Eller being expendable because Danault had shown he can take over that job was not based on any real evidence. Bergevin might think Danault can handle it, but he definitely hasn't shown that on the ice yet, contrary to what Bergevin implied. Eller took on tougher match-ups, Eller is much better at protecting the puck, he's got more experience as a face-off man, and he showed bursts of offensive flair that Danault didn't quite do at all last season. It's not to say Danault can't become as good as Eller, but I think Bergevin is hedging a bet that Danault can fill Eller's shoes and I have doubts that will happen right away anyways. So my big issue is not with Danault himself, but MB's comments about him.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest olddude

Danault appeared in 21 games with the Canadiens last season after coming over from Chicago in a trade. He scored three goals and added two assists for the Canadiens.

The Victoriaville, Que., native, has four goals and six assists over 53 career NHL games with Chicago and Montreal.

For some reason, that earned him a two year contract extension.

Danault appeared in 21 games with the Canadiens last season after coming over from Chicago in a trade. He scored three goals and added two assists for the Canadiens.

The Victoriaville, Que., native, has four goals and six assists over 53 career NHL games with Chicago and Montreal.

For some reason, that earned him a two year contract extension.

And made Eller expendable for 2 picks that probably wont play for us for at least 4+ years.

Archived