The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Stefan Matteau

A big body, 1st round draft choice with potential that shoots left. He will likely start out on the 4th line but I wouldn't be surprised to see him bumped up by Therrien to play with Danault on the 3rd line. I'm not against trying this. If so, DLR becomes the loser in this IMO but is still young and could slot in at center or left wing on the 4th line.

A big body, 1st round draft choice with potential that shoots left. He will likely start out on the 4th line but I wouldn't be surprised to see him bumped up by Therrien to play with Danault on the 3rd line. I'm not against trying this. If so, DLR becomes the loser in this IMO but is still young and could slot in at center or left wing on the 4th line.

The reality is its still possible that Marleau - or DSP - breaks out but you'd have to think that its unlikely for either. That said, he's only played 40+ games at the NHL leve- but - he never had a lot of offensive success in the AHL so you have to think he probably wont in the NHL, but you never know.

Like Danault, I think there's an outside chance he moves up a line (Danault could end up 2nd liner, Matteau could be 3rd) which is probably a lot more than you could say for DSP.

The reality is its still possible that Marleau - or DSP - breaks out but you'd have to think that its unlikely for either. That said, he's only played 40+ games at the NHL leve- but - he never had a lot of offensive success in the AHL so you have to think he probably wont in the NHL, but you never know.

Like Danault, I think there's an outside chance he moves up a line (Danault could end up 2nd liner, Matteau could be 3rd) which is probably a lot more than you could say for DSP.

Could he be compared to Dale Weise as a 3rd liner?

I think that often, with many young players trying to make it in the NHL, it depends on how much opportunity there is and how they are used when they do get the chance... I'd even say this is the case more often than not (unless they are indeed a top end player to begin with and a star ; like a Crosby, McDavid, Eichel etc.)

Hopefully a fresh start with a team that can use his size and potential correctly (Therrien?) will lead to growth. Isn't that what happened with Weise?

Could he be compared to Dale Weise as a 3rd liner?

I think that often, with many young players trying to make it in the NHL, it depends on how much opportunity there is and how they are used when they do get the chance... I'd even say this is the case more often than not (unless they are indeed a top end player to begin with and a star ; like a Crosby, McDavid, Eichel etc.)

Hopefully a fresh start with a team that can use his size and potential correctly (Therrien?) will lead to growth. Isn't that what happened with Weise?

I actually think he might have a little more upside than weise. I havent watched him a ton but i feel like his hockey sense might be better - although weise had some pretty soft hands for a grinder.

And i totally agree about usage & opportunity.

When DSP got here, many people thought he could be a top 6 forward, which I thought was fairly farfetched at the time and even more laughable now. I see Danault as a good 4th liner or passable 3rd liner and doubt he'll ever be anything more than that since he doesn't seem to have much of a nose for the net. Good skater, good instincts, but with no finish, you just can't play in the top 6. For Matteau, same kind of deal. Nice size, decent skill for a junior-level player, but at the NHL level, he hasn't really delivered on any offensive ability and he's apparently been fairly undisciplined as well. It was a good gamble to take a flier on him in exchange for a player we weren't going to use anyways, but I think the expectations need to be tempered. We'll be fortunate if Matteau becomes a Torrey Mitchell or Dale Weise type of player.

Guest habs1952

Are you kidding? He'll be centering the first line before the 1st period is over.

looked pretty good from what i saw last night. He's never going to be mistaken for a top 6 forward but I think his effectiveness in the bottom six should be greater than DSPs.

He's got some skill. He seemed pumped up last night and but his mind didn't appear to be keeping up with his body. He looks like he has some pretty good hands and he knows how to use his size. I wouldn't count him out yet; he might be able to crack the 2nd line in a few years. It all depends on how he develops but I think the potential is there. You can see why he was a first rounder, albeit, late. Regardless, he is an obvious upgrade on DSP.

Archived