Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Can't find the Max Pac thread so this is why Max isn't captain material

Austin Mathews scored 4 goals last night yet after the game he too responsibility for the OT game winner

Just as impressive was Matthews taking responsibility for Senators forward Kyle Turris scoring the overtime winner.

"That last play was 100 per cent my fault," said Matthews. "We came here to win and we didn't get that done."

It would have been honourable if the Captain of the Habs ( max )  accepted the same responsibility last year , when  MT threw PK under the bus for the goal in Colorado .

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thoughts after Game 1:

- I liked the way the D played tonight. Markov showed good vision and skill, Emelin played effectively and made big hits, Pateryn was solid and led the D in Corsi, and Beaulieu was good at both ends of the ice. Weber was strong and showed a great shot. Sergachev was really the only sore spot, as he looked a little off the pace and made some bad decisions on the ice. He effectively looked like he was still playing junior and didn't know he was in the NHL. He's got skill, but he's not ready for the big time yet. My big concern with the D is how well they're going to hold up. We already know Markov and Emelin haven't been able to hold up over an entire season the way Therrien uses them. Sergachev is the youngest player in the league. And Pateryn hasn't yet played a full season as a regular. So there are still some question marks there for me.

- The 2nd line didn't get on the board tonight, but Lehkonen really impressed, leading the team in scoring chances. He will get goals if he continues to play that way.

- Montoya played a stellar game. Condon also did well in short stretches until he was asked to be the full-time #1 though, so still to be seen how this unfolds.

- Plekanec really disappointed me tonight. Almost invisible on many shifts. Desharnais was also disappointing and like Plekanec, was the least involved member of his line.

- Shaw was average, despite getting a goal. But his slewfoot major and game misconduct at the buzzer shows he's still an irresponsible and immature player. This is a true "lack of character" on display again. If you're going to throw Prust and Kassian and Subban and Semin off the team, this guy should be shown the door as well.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Thoughts after Game 1:

- I liked the way the D played tonight. Markov showed good vision and skill, Emelin played effectively and made big hits, Pateryn was solid and led the D in Corsi, and Beaulieu was good at both ends of the ice. Weber was strong and showed a great shot. Sergachev was really the only sore spot, as he looked a little off the pace and made some bad decisions on the ice. He effectively looked like he was still playing junior and didn't know he was in the NHL. He's got skill, but he's not ready for the big time yet. My big concern with the D is how well they're going to hold up. We already know Markov and Emelin haven't been able to hold up over an entire season the way Therrien uses them. Sergachev is the youngest player in the league. And Pateryn hasn't yet played a full season as a regular. So there are still some question marks there for me.

- The 2nd line didn't get on the board tonight, but Lehkonen really impressed, leading the team in scoring chances. He will get goals if he continues to play that way.

- Montoya played a stellar game. Condon also did well in short stretches until he was asked to be the full-time #1 though, so still to be seen how this unfolds.

- Plekanec really disappointed me tonight. Almost invisible on many shifts. Desharnais was also disappointing and like Plekanec, was the least involved member of his line.

- Shaw was average, despite getting a goal. But his slewfoot major and game misconduct at the buzzer shows he's still an irresponsible and immature player. This is a true "lack of character" on display again. If you're going to throw Prust and Kassian and Subban and Semin off the team, this guy should be shown the door as well.

 

 

Agreed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

- Shaw was average, despite getting a goal. But his slewfoot major and game misconduct at the buzzer shows he's still an irresponsible and immature player. This is a true "lack of character" on display again. If you're going to throw Prust and Kassian and Subban and Semin off the team, this guy should be shown the door as well.

Any post game comments from MT about taking stupid, selfish penalties . Probably not since they won .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Muller like Therrien appears to be okay with DD on the PP. The boys looked a little sluggish. I thought Markov had the fewest mistakes on the backend. Segachev may have been feling a little nervous tonight, but I liked the way Therrien started to shelter him a little until we restored our two goal lead. Glachenyuk was less effective than I expected, but Lehkonen could have had at least 2 goals if it wasn't for Lehner. it looked to me like Rad and plecky spent much of the night trying to set the kid up for his first goal. Shaw has looked quicker but like Byron he goes to the net and creates problems. Mitchell's injury looks like it will be a blessing for Andrighetto. Hopefully we can score a few more against the Sens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't see the Buffalo game but how accurate is this comment

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/about-last-night-379

Playing against a severely depleted Buffalo lineup – no Jack Eichel. no Kyle Okposo and, for half the game, no Evander Kane – your Montreal Canadiens were outshot, outhit and – for long stretches of the game – outhustled.

Good thing they got great goaltending …. from a guy not named Carey Price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I didn't see the Buffalo game but how accurate is this comment

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/about-last-night-379

Playing against a severely depleted Buffalo lineup – no Jack Eichel. no Kyle Okposo and, for half the game, no Evander Kane – your Montreal Canadiens were outshot, outhit and – for long stretches of the game – outhustled.

Good thing they got great goaltending …. from a guy not named Carey Price.

I give Buffalo the second as we got into penalty trouble. Despite looking a little flat we definitely out played them for most of the first and third period and hit them hard all night with Emelin leading the way in that department.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

I give Buffalo the second as we got into penalty trouble. Despite looking a little flat we definitely out played them for most of the first and third period and hit them hard all night with Emelin leading the way in that department.

We also had a two goal lead for most of the game, including for almost all of the second.  I know it's not ideal, but pretty much every team starts to sit back a bit when they've opened up a lead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked the start the team had. The team did seem to be adjusting still which when you consider the number that played at the world cup the pairings and line combo's will take time to gell. Montoya looked good , I thought Weber was solid nope not flashy but that's not his game. Does have a hard shot even with wrist or partial wind ups. I liked Shaws energy but the slew foot  he's got to stop. Just play hard determined hockey no bull and he'll be fine. Loved seeing Gallager start strong!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I didn't see the Buffalo game but how accurate is this comment

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/about-last-night-379

Playing against a severely depleted Buffalo lineup – no Jack Eichel. no Kyle Okposo and, for half the game, no Evander Kane – your Montreal Canadiens were outshot, outhit and – for long stretches of the game – outhustled.

Good thing they got great goaltending …. from a guy not named Carey Price.

You can't tell me we were outhit with all the grit and character we have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the season we had last year i think the boys sat back expecting the goaltending to fail us without Price in goal. Credit Monty for closing the door. You could tell they got more confident as the game progressed. Having that lead likely contributed to us playing back on our heals and the Sabres we're playing desperate catchup hockey. Also factor in it was their home opener.

It's really early to come to any solid conclusions as to how we'll do long term. A 10 game stretch should give us a better sense of direction.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

ghetto on waivers, the latest brilliant move by team foxhole

Doesn't make any sense. I don't know that Ghetto really has a role on this team as it is, since Lehkonen and Carr have passed him on the depth chart (and probably McCarron too if it wasn't for Mac's two-way contract). HOWEVER, Ghetto is a superior player to Flynn and he's probably just as good if not better than Danault, albeit one can argue we're comparing different skillsets here. The team might have needed to clear a roster spot to allow Petry to return, but why not waive Flynn, who is a lot easier to replace? Why not send Sergachev down, since it doesn't look like he's ready? We're ok for now, but let's say we lose a top 6-9 winger to injury. Are we moving up Byron or Danault or calling up McCarron and DLR and Friberg? If we lose a 4th line player, Ghetto could have moved into that role, but if we lose a top 6-9 guy, Flynn isn't suited to playing there. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

. Are we moving up Byron or Danault or calling up McCarron and DLR and Friberg? If we lose a 4th line player, Ghetto could have moved into that role, but if we lose a top 6-9 guy, Flynn isn't suited to playing there. 

The DD factor - he can play anywhere

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

- Shaw was average, despite getting a goal. But his slewfoot major and game misconduct at the buzzer shows he's still an irresponsible and immature player. This is a true lack of character" on display again. If you're going to throw Prust and Kassian and Subban and Semin off the team, this guy should be shown the door as well.

 

The difference between playing as an individual ( PK ) and character

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/shaw-hoping-to-do-better-job-of-playing-safer~972700

Shaw hoping to do better job of playing safer

Andrew Shaw talks about his aggressive play as of late and how he will have a meeting with senior VP of player safety for the NHL, Stephane Quintal about how he can do better to play within the rules of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surprised to see Ghetto on waivers? My boss has Hawks season tickets , so I've seen Shaw play a bit before. I don't know if he's trying to establish himself or what. He generally when playing for the Hawks was another Gallager played hard and didn't do a lot of this stuff. I know my brother lives outside Chicago and they were upset to see him go. I hope he gets his ....together because he can be a very useful player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Surprised to see Ghetto on waivers? My boss has Hawks season tickets , so I've seen Shaw play a bit before. I don't know if he's trying to establish himself or what. He generally when playing for the Hawks was another Gallager played hard and didn't do a lot of this stuff. I know my brother lives outside Chicago and they were upset to see him go. I hope he gets his ....together because he can be a very useful player.

Shaw has been suspended a couple of times in the minors before. He was suspended in the pre-season here and got one game previously for his homophobic slur, a game in which he also instigated a fight at the buzzer (also a suspendable offence). I've watched some Hawks games in the past where he's hit the goalie or smoked players from behind and just not been suspended for those actions. Shaw has also stated that he tries to play the game similarly to Brad Marchand and that his goal is to be an agitator. So... based on what I've seen here so far, I don't think he's the cleanest player. You try to impress your new team by doing what he did on his goal last night, going to the net, and so on. You don't hit guys from behind, invite cheering during a fight, or slewfoot a guy from behind. Those things don't make anyone think you're more useful as a player. He's had some moments here where he's showed he can be an asset, but he's made several boneheaded decisions already in a very limited amount of time. For my money, I'll take Eller's two-way game over Shaw's buffoonery any day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree I did like Eller and slew foot from anyone isn't good (Subban used the slew foot when he first came up , I remember Grapes pointing it out )or the other stuff. I would rather have Eller yes , I'm just saying as Marchand  (who I hate) he can play an effective game when he isn't doing stupid things. Which he didn't do a lot of with the Hawks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Eller was traded to make room for Danault . Specifically remember MB saying something to that effect

Shaw / Eller - no correlation between why they were traded ; one is a C and one is a Winger

Actually if you really want to debate you could say Eller was traded because they had to make room for DD :7072:

AG and  TP are the top 2 C's

Then you had Eller, DD, TM, PD - so someone had to go , and looks like Eller was the odd man out , 'cause the other 3 are all Francophones and Eller was a friend of the guy in Nashville :4224:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's only two game and as CP like to say chill out

After the 1 st game

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/about-last-night-379

Playing against a severely depleted Buffalo lineup – no Jack Eichel. no Kyle Okposo and, for half the game, no Evander Kane – your Montreal Canadiens were outshot, outhit and – for long stretches of the game – outhustled.

after 2 periods against Ottawa

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone/liveblog/liveblog-canadiens-at-ottawa-2

The Canadiens had been horrible, and Michel Therrien shook up his forward lines, moving Alexander Radulov up with Alex Galchenyuk and Max Pacioretty.

The first period was UGLY for the CH.

 

NOTE TO MB : still time to turn this around and get a new coach and staff .:5210:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a very, very real possibility that we're just not very good and we're going to keep getting outshot and outchanced all year. I actually like the forward group more than I have in a long time but the lack of transition from the D and the system we play is pretty painful. It obviously could all come together but just from what I've seen in terms of HOW we play, yeesh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...