The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

1 hour ago, kinot-1 said:

Anyway Regis,,,, you could look at it the same way as B-ball teams have Lebron James,,, or Shaq, or football teams have their star quarterback like Manning, or you could look at Tavares, or Kane, Cros. It seems that every (or most) teams have a star player on their team. In our case, we just happened to have our star player in the position of "the last line of defense". 

It's hard to compare to other sports, though, or even other positions.  If you put Tavares or Kane or Crosby on a terrible team you'd end up with... a terrible team that's slightly more exciting to watch :P.  Even if a coach is riding a star skater they're going to be playing less than half the game, and even at that they're only going to be as good as the players around them.  Unlike a star basketball player you're not going to see McDavid stickhandling through the rest of the team all the way to the net on a regular basis.  

You could maybe make comparisons between a goalie and an ace pitcher, but even that guy is only playing one of every four games (and probably not for the entire game at that).  The closest comparison might be to a quarterback, but he's also on only half the game and isn't going to get far without a good defense.  I think that's the difference between a goalie and almost any other star player in any sport - an offensive player can be perfect, but still lose if the other team scores more.  If a goalie is perfect then the team will never lose.  It's what makes "riding a hot goalie" through the playoffs a thing that you don't really see anywhere else.  And it's what helps allow Carey to carry this team farther than what most other star athletes would be capable of.

2 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

It's hard to compare to other sports, though, or even other positions.  If you put Tavares or Kane or Crosby on a terrible team you'd end up with... a terrible team that's slightly more exciting to watch :P.  Even if a coach is riding a star skater they're going to be playing less than half the game, and even at that they're only going to be as good as the players around them.  Unlike a star basketball player you're not going to see McDavid stickhandling through the rest of the team all the way to the net on a regular basis.  

You could maybe make comparisons between a goalie and an ace pitcher, but even that guy is only playing one of every four games (and probably not for the entire game at that).  The closest comparison might be to a quarterback, but he's also on only half the game and isn't going to get far without a good defense.  I think that's the difference between a goalie and almost any other star player in any sport - an offensive player can be perfect, but still lose if the other team scores more.  If a goalie is perfect then the team will never lose.  It's what makes "riding a hot goalie" through the playoffs a thing that you don't really see anywhere else.  And it's what helps allow Carey to carry this team farther than what most other star athletes would be capable of.

Unless you're talking about Mario or Wayne.   Averaging over 2 pts a game and accounting for over 50% of your teams offense ... those two are the only players who I'd argue had as much impact on the outcome of a game as a goalie does.

5 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

This years Dallas Cowboys may say something different. Starting QB out last year and they tanked like us last year. This year a kid QB having a great season and first QB- Goalie Hmm. I tend to agree a goalie should have more impact but the Cowboys last year to this year very close comparison.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:31 PM, kinot-1 said:

Anyway Regis,,,, you could look at it the same way as B-ball teams have Lebron James,,, or Shaq, or football teams have their star quarterback like Manning, or you could look at Tavares, or Kane, Cros. It seems that every (or most) teams have a star player on their team. In our case, we just happened to have our star player in the position of "the last line of defense". 

Yup, And if our star player were to get injured , see last year , we would be a really mediocre hockey club . Not sure if it's the talent level, or the system they play , and we'll never know if it's the system so long as MT is coach .

Most good teams , should eb able to survive the loss of their star player . The Montreal Canadiens cannot

Same old same old on the west coast tour. We must be so predictable to play against. Just email the NHL and forfeit the games lmao. Seriously though, I was talking about this last year when they went into that November funk that Price could only do so much. Last year our goalies were allowing many goals and this year Price is keeping them in the game big time and still can't score more than one. 

Well, the last 8 games we've played were ultimately decided by a margin of 1 goal and as such could have gone either way.

Glass half-full? We're difficult to beat and can keep games open against anyone.

Glass half-empty? We're in those games thanks to Carey and still don't score enough goals.

19 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Yup, And if our star player were to get injured , see last year , we would be a really mediocre hockey club . Not sure if it's the talent level, or the system they play , and we'll never know if it's the system so long as MT is coach .

Most good teams , should eb able to survive the loss of their star player . The Montreal Canadiens cannot

The Dallas Cowboys lost the starting QB last year and their season pretty much turned out like ours. This year they have a great QB and are #1 in the league hmmm sounds familiar?

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Well, the last 8 games we've played were ultimately decided by a margin of 1 goal and as such could have gone either way.

Glass half-full? We're difficult to beat and can keep games open against anyone.

Glass half-empty? We're in those games thanks to Carey and still don't score enough goals.

I share Flying Lion`s opinion that our team philosophy should be offence-minded, not defense-minded as it is now. Get trades going and get some decent scoring guys with size. Price is more than capable of handling his own end. At least we could be looking at greater margins in scoring if we had more than one consistent, functioning scoring line.

Last nights game we actually for the majority of the game out played the Ducks. We were better in the first they were in the second and we were in the third. We outshot and for the Corsi people looked better. This game came down to penalties and Price actually got outplayed. Gibson had a great night and Carey did let in a short side he could see on the second goal that normally he wouldn't. The team at this time isn't playing bad yes we need to score more. Most teams are looking for the same thing additional scoring. Watching the last two I'm somewhat optimistic that Pleks with Pacs & Gallager will start to score. Galancheck missed one he wouldn't normally in the third. Another great pass from Rads! If we keep playing like this I think the team will come on top more often than not. The last time we played the Kings we played well. Across the league most games are 1-2 goals apart to wins. The games are close schedules are tight do to the world cup , it's going to be a grind but I like out team make up for a long grind. The Kings are a team that always grind out 1 goal games all season but it makes a team ready for the playoffs. I ready see us blowing out teams easier to watch not as much stress!

1. why in the name of god, is DD playing on the 3rd line and Danault, who is bigger, can play physical, and is a good checker, and has been outplaying DD all year long by a mile, is on the 4th line. Against a west coast team. just atrocious.  this was a big factor to me, because shaw and lehkonen make a pretty decent 3rd line and that might have been a factor. as it was i felt it was a big factor is losing.

2. I like that we have created the 2nd line I was campaigning for , I would not break them up, but they all just break my heart.

Not long ago I would have debated that plekanec was just as good as having a kesler. imagine having that argument now. 

This year has been painful for gallagher. he gets himself there but...just doesnt have the shot to bury one from far, doesnt have the hands to really make that big play inside, too small to really win those battles on the coards consistently....I just dont know

Patchy patchy patchy....its just a gamelong facepalm for me.

this sounds drastic but we could ship all 3 of these guys out and it wouldnt bother me in the slightest, and i might actually say that we could do much better with essentially lateral-ish moves to fill their spots. 

3. Thats honestly truly enough of byron on the 1st line.  

This is the measuring stick road trip. these are the good teams. we did ok last night, but in the end its the 2 core problems that will always get us. we dont have the horses, and what we do have is being mismanaged by our intrepid coach.

I just made my second attempt at watching hi/o show this year....i used to watch it every week, but whoever that host dude is i want to strangle his voice. what kind of hiring committee sits down, listens to him and all agrees thats not the most irritating human being you have ever heard in your life

27 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I just made my second attempt at watching hi/o show this year....i used to watch it every week, but whoever that host dude is i want to strangle his voice. what kind of hiring committee sits down, listens to him and all agrees thats not the most irritating human being you have ever heard in your life

I've watched it a few times and, IMO, the host just isn't up to speed when it comes to hockey sense. It just seems amateurish. 

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

:5187:

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Agreed. I find his voice & mannerisms quite irritating. If you read most of the youtube comments posted under the video, it's all against this new host of the show: Adam Susser.

Anyway the only reason I still watch it is because of the guests.

Habs are 3-5-1 in their last 9 games. All of them have been 1-goal games, but we've seen what team we have when we play against a higher quality of competition (whereas in the first few weeks of the season, we played against non-playoff teams and ones with key injuries). This team is better than its recent record, but not as good as its overall record.

If you look at the upcoming schedule, we have teams like LA, Stl, Was, Pit, TB, Clb, Ana, SJ, etc due for December. The odds of a Nov-to-Jan slump repeating itself are looking pretty high right now.

According to coach T, the effort was there and that's good enough for him:

“We had chances but we’re having a hard time lately finding the net but you know what, the effort was there,” coach Michel Therrien said Friday night after the Canadiens dropped a 2-1 decision to the San Jose Sharks at SAP Center.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/in-the-habs-room-canadiens-need-more-than-effort

Yes we lost both of these games , but it was to two top teams in their home building and by scores of 2-1. We outshot both teams , we actually did have chances and either missed them or got stoned. Price played as he always does. (I would guess he would like back the one goal against the ducks) Both of their goalies actually played just as good. The Corsi for both games favored our team. It wasn't as if we were outshot 40-20 and Price was the only thing we had going. We were in both the games all the way. It's always a little different game when you play from behind. We actually had decent starts just didn't get on the board. Like everyone I wanted wins and would of been happy with it being 2-1 in our favor , but we actually didn't get run over by either team both games were close. We absolutely need our secondary scoring to pitch some in. Teams like the Ducks & Sharks effectively shut down Chucky lines. Either Pleks has to start producing by scoring a couple or at least being the set up guy or we have to go another direction. I wouldn't mid see Danualt between Pacs & Gally. Or load it up temporarily and put Pacs with Rads & Chucky. It always sucks to lose! I don't think we are that far off though. We stayed in both of these games and they had good goaltending also, that kept them in at times. Remember these are two top teams and the games were 2-1 not 6-2 .

In light of Chuckie's injury, TSN was speculating on what MB might do to "fill in" for Chucky. If he was "day to day" we "could" scrape by,,, maybe. If it's long term (2-6 weeks), MB wouldn't be able to trade for either a 1st or 2nd line center because of the cost. The only option open, IMO, would be to call up Andrighetto, at this time. 

Patrice Brisebois says it's a joke that the team would consider trading Pacioretty and that any off-ice issues wouldn't affect the player on the ice. However, he added that players like Subban don't last long in the NHL and that he's not surprised the team traded him. He said a player simply can't be bigger than the team and then added "just look at the team's record this year, it speaks for itself." I guess someone forgot to tell Brisebois that the team's record at this time last year (and WITH Subban) was actually better than it is this year without him. I get it, some people don't like Subban's personality, but don't come out saying Pacioretty's issues with the coach can be ignored but Subban's can't. And don't come out saying the team is better off as judged by its record when the record is actually worse. Get your facts straight, Patrice, because you're just proving that it's all lies and innuendo when it comes to bashing Subban.

31 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Patrice Brisebois says it's a joke that the team would consider trading Pacioretty and that any off-ice issues wouldn't affect the player on the ice. However, he added that players like Subban don't last long in the NHL and that he's not surprised the team traded him. He said a player simply can't be bigger than the team and then added "just look at the team's record this year, it speaks for itself." I guess someone forgot to tell Brisebois that the team's record at this time last year (and WITH Subban) was actually better than it is this year without him. I get it, some people don't like Subban's personality, but don't come out saying Pacioretty's issues with the coach can be ignored but Subban's can't. And don't come out saying the team is better off as judged by its record when the record is actually worse. Get your facts straight, Patrice, because you're just proving that it's all lies and innuendo when it comes to bashing Subban.

It's been my experience that if you have 20 people (more, if you include coaches, trainers, management etc.), you "might" get along with half of them. Does anyone think that DD is well liked by everyone? After all, he gets plenty of ice time and PP time, and accomplishes next to nothing. I wouldn't want to be on his line. Does anyone think that if you are a "floater", then you will be well liked? Max should take lessons from Radulov. 

• H_T_L locked this topic