The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

11 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Claude Julien has just been fired in Boston. How about we hire him for a Cup run? He's won it before, so he brings pedigree. :P

I think it's probably too late now, but there's no excuse for this organization not to pay whatever it takes to get him back.

56 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

I think it's probably too late now, but there's no excuse for this organization not to pay whatever it takes to get him back.

No doubt, I'd love to have Julien back in Montreal, but I doubt MB is willing to fire his foxhole buddy. We all know he should've been let go last year, now they probably both think the team's right on track.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Claude Julien has just been fired in Boston. How about we hire him for a Cup run? He's won it before, so he brings pedigree. :P

I doubt Marc Bergevin would consider removing his Foxhole buddy at this time... that said, it certainly would be interesting to see what Julien could do with the current Habs.

6 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I doubt Marc Bergevin would consider removing his Foxhole buddy at this time... that said, it certainly would be interesting to see what Julien could do with the current Habs.

Yeah, I don't really see it either. Wishful thinking I guess... Unless we're going on a massive losing streak in February maybe.

14 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, I don't really see it either. Wishful thinking I guess... Unless we're going on a massive losing streak in February maybe.

I suppose it could be possible to add Julien as they did with Muller (associate) if one or two of Lacroix, Jodoin and Daigneault are let go. Or simply as an advisor for the time being. I may be wrong, but I tend to believe that Julien-Muller could be better than the current set-up.

The team plays 3 of the next 4 games on the road before their mandatory 5 day vacation. The results of these games could go a long way in deciding their playoff fate. The next two roadies are against the two worst teams in the entire league. Nothing short of 4 points should be acceptable in my mind. They then come home to St Louis who are 10 points behind them and this should also be a win. They then go to Boston on a back to back schedule and although Boston is also reeling and has just fired its coach, a loss would at least be a little more understandable to this original six rival. So ..... I say 6 of 8 points is expected and demanded from this trip. The remainder of the schedule gets considerably more challenging after their break so if they fall on their faces this week starting tonight in Colorado ... making the playoffs may be a pipedream for these underachievers.

It remains clear to me that this team, under Therrien, is much worse when Desharnais is in the line-up. We have already seen him bump Galchenyuk and Mitchell to the wing to accommodate moving DD to center. Now we've seen MT re-establish DD as his #1 powerplay center, despite his complete lack of efficacy there. The fact that you can't play defence doesn't mean you should be on the PP. The number of things the coach does to try and make DD fit into the line-up handicaps us substantially. We should do what Nashville did to Ribeiro and just demote DD, because his presence hurts us by virtue of the fact that our coach doesn't know what to do with him and wrecks other players' chances in order to favor DD.

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

It remains clear to me that this team, under Therrien, is much worse when Desharnais is in the line-up. We have already seen him bump Galchenyuk and Mitchell to the wing to accommodate moving DD to center. Now we've seen MT re-establish DD as his #1 powerplay center, despite his complete lack of efficacy there. The fact that you can't play defence doesn't mean you should be on the PP. The number of things the coach does to try and make DD fit into the line-up handicaps us substantially. We should do what Nashville did to Ribeiro and just demote DD, because his presence hurts us by virtue of the fact that our coach doesn't know what to do with him and wrecks other players' chances in order to favor DD.

Factual and very well said. Coach's continued obsession and fascination with DD continues to obstruct and hurt this team. Meanwhile the likes of players like McCarron are conveniently tucked away. A coach far from playoffs ready let alone Stanley Cup ready.

I guess this team isn't as good as we would like to think and changes made during the summer have not led , yet , to the results MB  would have liked.

The CP31 super season he had 2 years masked a lot of problems .

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/about-last-night-canadiens-lose-4-0-to-colorado

After a win against Detroit Nov. 12th, the Canadiens had a record of 13-2 (including one overtime loss). In the 40 games since then, the Canadiens have won 17 and lost 23 (including 7 in OT or shootout). Their 42 points total over the last 40 games ranks 22nd in the league

Well we ranked dead last in the league in the new year last season and it wasn't enough to make the coaching change. Molson needs to do what his GM doesn't have the courage to do. To quote Trump,,,,,YOUR FIRED.

As much as i think MB has the potential to be a decent GM, that thought flies right out the door with his refusal to cut ties with this coach.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Well we ranked dead last in the league in the new year last season and it wasn't enough to make the coaching change. Molson needs to do what his GM doesn't have the courage to do. To quote Trump,,,,,YOUR FIRED.

As much as i think MB has the potential to be a decent GM, that thought flies right out the door with his refusal to cut ties with this coach.

It's what happens when you hire your friends.  Whatever else Bergevin may do as a GM his tenure is going to be defined by his cronyism, for better or (in my opinion) worse.

4 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Accurate indeed, and everybody sees it except those that can actually DO something about it! Dear Mr. Molson please tell your GM to send this coach packing before it's too late. If he hesitates then show him the door as well!

The similarities to last year are unmistakable with the only major difference being CP31 is playing and the team is relatively healthy. In other words .... this is the REAL Montreal Canadiens we are seeing on the ice. There are definitely areas for improvement in personnel but the main common denominator is Michel Therrien. There are no other excuses available. Most of the hockey world reacted in shock last off season when this coach was not only retained but further supported and enabled by Bergevin and Molson when the trade was made to run PK Subban out of town. Not only was Subban a generational talent, he was a flamboyant leader and fan favourite and yet, he was discarded for a demonstrably weaker asset in Weber because of pettiness in the locker room among some select teammates and the fact that Therrien and by extension, Bergevin, didn't like him. Subban was the heart of the franchise along with Price and brought excitement to the team. His talent and flamboyance earned him envy and mistreatment by the team.  I am sure Shea Weber is a nice guy but in no way shape or form can he hope to replace PK Subban for effectiveness over their respective remaining careers or for entertainment value.

The franchise is now at a cross roads in my humble opinion. Price is a UFA at the end of next season. Radulov at the end of this season. The latter's play has been at times inspirational and the stats are decent albeit not gaudy. Rads will expect to be rewarded at the end of this season ... can the club afford him? And what of Price? His performance this season has been disappointing and it has continued far too long to be considered a slump. Is he hurt? Who knows? But the stark reality is he has not been a very good goalie since the beginning of December. How does this impact the prospects of re-signing him? What about GallyA's future and ditto for Patches? These are decisions that are critical to the future of this franchise.

I believe that Bergevin's bizarre behavior ie the foxhole buddy routine with Therrien coupled with the huge gaffe in trading Subban for lesser talent has sealed his fate which should be intertwined with that of the coach. Both these individuals need to be let go for the sake of the future of this franchise. If I was Molson, I would engage some hockey people (outside the organization) as advisors and do a thorough review of the past few seasons. I would keep the foxhole buddies until the end of the season before severing them. I would forbid any further major personnel moves unless fully vetted by my advisors because in all honesty, this is going to require a lot of thought and more than a one or two asset fix to get this team to contend. The first order of business is to hire a general manager who understands how to build a contender and how to identify a coach who demonstrates an ability to develop and communicate with young players and employ winning strategies.

^^ There are actually striking similarities to last year:

- The blazing start, driven in large part by an unsustainable shooting percentage

- A strong Corsi through the mid-season that then starts to drift off substantially thereafter

- Weak goaltending from December onwards (Price's save percentage being no better than what we got from Condon/Scrivens last year)

The downwards trend has started a little bit later this year, however, so we haven't seen ourselves plummet down the standings just yet. Our division rivals are also weaker than last season, with Boston, Detroit, Florida, and Tampa all under-achieving as well. And we have perhaps not dropped as many games in the standings just yet either, although the trend seems to indicate that may be coming, as we continue to play poorly and as many teams catching us have games in hand. Last night was really a situation that was an excellent opportunity to turn the losing streak around, against the worst team in the league. If Therrien was going to chalk up the losses on the weekend to playing top-10 teams in the league, then by the same logic, the Habs (a top 10 team themselves) should have no problem beating the 30th team in the league. The fact is that this team has been flat and under-prepared for about 5 games now, and there have been signs that have been cause for concern for several weeks. Back in December and early January, we were playing good hockey, even if we didn't always get the wins. But now, we're playing awful hockey, and we're seeing what happens when we get ordinary goaltending.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Back in December and early January, we were playing good hockey, even if we didn't always get the wins. But now, we're playing awful hockey, and we're seeing what happens when we get ordinary goaltending.

Back in December / January during the long road trip , AG and DD , were injured , CP was playing average yet they seemed to find a way to win . Now I 'm not blaming this funk on DD , but why not keep the same players who were playing then ( Carr, Andrigehhto , MCarron ?? etc ) and see how it plays out rather than shuffling the line's to fit one player in somewhere

Oh and still need a new coach . There have been coaches fired last year and this year for their team's poor  performance yet this team has been average for over a yr now

MB your team is now faced with some adversity

Let's see how you deal with it , you made player changes but kept the same coach and you look to be in the same position as last year , free falling

remember this http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/canadiens-gm-marc-bergevin-turns-page-on-p-k-subban

Bergevin said he believes this season’s edition of the Canadiens is better suited to deal with adversity with three key off-season additions: Weber, Andrew Shaw and Alexander Radulov.

“What we went through last year, we fell down face-first,” Bergevin said. “We have to get up. We weren’t able to get up last year. But I’m hoping and I believe this year we’re better suited because of what we went through last year. Adding Shea, Shawsy, Carey Price healthy, Max (Pacioretty) with more experience as far as a captain. I think all of that will make a difference.”

When asked what his team’s identity will be this season, Bergevin said: “Speed. Today, speed is a very important thing. Hockey smarts. I (came) back from Hockey Canada, we’re not the fastest team, but our hockey sense was high. We were fast. Obviously, having the best players it’s different. But I think speed is something that we’re looking at.

“We made some changes as far as leadership roles,” the GM added. “The biggest leadership comes within the room and I think with the changes we made as a group I think our team is in better shape now.”

• H_T_L locked this topic