The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 State of the Habs

BigTed3

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

There is no young nucleus IMO .

The Habs don't have any young superstar(s)  in the making to build around

It would probably help if we had a coach in SJ that had a clue on how to develop players.

3 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Now that bad coaching has been ruled out, the spotlight is on the players. Attitude, desire and hunger. No point telling the post-game media they need to clean up on mistakes, but keep lapsing on the ice.

I still feel a complete rebuild around the young nucleus is the only hope. The current roster, particularly the veteran core, is simply too "tainted" with the decade long culture of satisfaction with mediocrity.  Yes, I'm including even Pacioretty, Markov and Price. Plekanec and Emelin have long become complacent. 

That's the next step. We could have had at least a partial overhaul a couple of years ago, by moving on from players like Plekanec and Markov, giving our prospects ice time, and keeping, perhaps even giving Subban the "C". The problem with risk aversion by leaning too heavily on the vets, is that you stop getting the expected results from the vets.
Markov's ability to stay relevant is excellent, but I still don't agree with his contract or usage over these past seasons.

So now we have probably 2 years with a roster that could have been in much better shape, but is now reliant on less-than-they-were vets, a relatively "soft" core that has been groomed to play a complacent brand of hockey, and a youth group with extremely limited experience and/or confidence. Our best hope is that Julien can somehow make it work and Bergevin makes moves that add enough to our core to bring some level of competence back to our roster.

27 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

It would probably help if we had a coach in SJ that had a clue on how to develop players.

That's an organizational issue that has also been allowed to continue for too long under Bergevin.

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

It would have helped if we hadn't kept on drafting small players because they were the 'best' available. We should have drafted some bigger players who were just as good.

Some thoughts after tonight's game:

- Pacioretty looked determined to get the win tonight. Most intense I think I've seen him in years, but he's having a heck of a season. Radulov, on the other hand, seems to have tailed off a bit in the past few weeks, not just in terms of scoring but also that we're not seeing the same high level of intensity we saw earlier in the year. Have to wonder if the longer NHL season (compared to KHL) is wearing on him a bit.

- Galchenyuk and Gallagher both looked like they played their best games since their respective injuries. Galchenyuk looked like he had gained some confidence back with the puck, and Gallagher was playing with more intensity. We still need to find another winger for that line.

- On a related note, Charles Hudon continues to tear it up in the minors. He's done it for three years. Time to cut the charades out and call up your best player in the AHL. We don't need a Brian Flynn type player, we do need a guy who can skate, score, and bring some energy to the top 6.

- If you slot Hudon into the top 6, it frees up Lehkonen to slide back down to line 3 with Plekanec and Shaw, and Byron to slide back down to the 4th line, where he's better-suited as well. It helps put everyone back in the right seat, unless we can find someone via trade to do that.

- Weber looked a heck of a lot better playing with Markov than he did being weighed down by Emelin. It's been what, 2 months that we've been asking for Emelin to be bumped off the top pairing? Emelin still looked awful playing next to Petry. Beaulieu should be there, and Emelin should be on the 3rd pairing. End of story.

- Pateryn > Nesterov. Don't know how anyone is seeing anything any differently. The real debate is whether Nesterov helps us more than Emelin.

- Price has played 3 solid games in a row. Not just solid but spectacular even. He's following the puck a lot better, he's more focused, his lateral movement is sensational again. Was it Therrien being fired that did it or was it just the break? I'd hedge my bet that some time away allowed him to relax and clear his head, but it bodes well to have him playing great hockey because we still lack the guns on offence to win games via scoring.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

- Pacioretty looked determined to get the win tonight. Most intense I think I've seen him in years, but he's having a heck of a season. Radulov, on the other hand, seems to have tailed off a bit in the past few weeks, not just in terms of scoring but also that we're not seeing the same high level of intensity we saw earlier in the year. Have to wonder if the longer NHL season (compared to KHL) is wearing on him a bit.

- Galchenyuk and Gallagher both looked like they played their best games since their respective injuries. Galchenyuk looked like he had gained some confidence back with the puck, and Gallagher was playing with more intensity. We still need to find another winger for that line.

- On a related note, Charles Hudon continues to tear it up in the minors. He's done it for three years. Time to cut the charades out and call up your best player in the AHL. We don't need a Brian Flynn type player, we do need a guy who can skate, score, and bring some energy to the top 6.

- If you slot Hudon into the top 6, it frees up Lehkonen to slide back down to line 3 with Plekanec and Shaw, and Byron to slide back down to the 4th line, where he's better-suited as well. It helps put everyone back in the right seat, unless we can find someone via trade to do that.

- Weber looked a heck of a lot better playing with Markov than he did being weighed down by Emelin. It's been what, 2 months that we've been asking for Emelin to be bumped off the top pairing? Emelin still looked awful playing next to Petry. Beaulieu should be there, and Emelin should be on the 3rd pairing. End of story.

- Pateryn > Nesterov. Don't know how anyone is seeing anything any differently. The real debate is whether Nesterov helps us more than Emelin.

- Price has played 3 solid games in a row. Not just solid but spectacular even. He's following the puck a lot better, he's more focused, his lateral movement is sensational again. Was it Therrien being fired that did it or was it just the break? I'd hedge my bet that some time away allowed him to relax and clear his head, but it bodes well to have him playing great hockey because we still lack the guns on offence to win games via scoring.

Interesting observations that I do not disagree with. That said, short of really giving Hudon that chance (which does not seem forthcoming for whatever reason) either a top second line left-wing or center could do the trick. You didn't mention Danault. He could be that second line option if a #1 center (other than Galchenyuk at this point) can be found via trade (also seemingly not forthcoming barring a miracle).

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The situation with our AHL team is another reason why Bergevin needs to be fired. He has not only screwed up the core of the big club but has left the development of our prospects in the AHL up to a below par coach. I guess his theory was they get lousy coaching in the NHL so might as well prepare them for it in the "A" as well. The guy is clueless and even the dim witted ownership must be seeing this by now. I have no idea what Bergevin will try to pull off before the trade deadline but I will be cringing in fear under my bed until the deadline passes hoping he does no further damage to this franchise than already done in the Subban trade fiasco. That alone should be a firing offence without even going into his idiotic foxhole comment while defending Michel Terrible.

Matt hunwick on CJ.

the same Craig Ramsey the Habs had last year but let go because obviously JJ and other guy are doing a greta job

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/26/rappers-love-maple-leafs-auston-matthews

Hunwick spent his first three-plus seasons playing for the Bruins under Julien, from 2007-11. As such, he understands just how much of an effect the veteran coach can have on a team.

“(He had) a big influence on me,” Hunwick said. ”Claude and Craig Ramsey, who was the D coach at the time, were big helps. I had a few seasons under them and probably learned the most as far as learning the NHL game. Things like being responsible defensively. That was at the core of my time with the Bruins and made us successful.

Still no regulation wins in February.

Only 4 Habs forwards have scored in February... Radulov, Pacman, Galchenyuk, and Shaw. For all the flack Galchenyuk gets, the guy has come back from injury and out-produced the large majority of "healthy" guys. Huge slumps for Lehkonen, Plekanec, Byron, Danault, Mitchell, Flynn, Gallagher...

For the umpteenth time, can we please see Hudon, McCarron, and Carr instead of Flynn/Ghetto/DD/Byron/Mitchell? The group of forwards we have is not producing and needs a shake-up to find some secondary scoring.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Only 4 Habs forwards have scored in February... Radulov, Pacman, Galchenyuk, and Shaw. 

Wow.  I know it's a short month and that we had a week off, but that's a pretty telling stat right there.

Particularly in the playoffs when line matching becomes so key, it's going to be really hard to get anywhere relying on just a few players to do all of our scoring,

Looking at Habs schedule rest of the way, lots of games against the few teams that are sellers right now:

2 vs Tampa

2 vs Det

1 vs Buf

1 vs Van

1 vs Car

1 vs Dal

Those are 8 games where we have to take advantage of teams that have traded away good players. And of course 3 games vs Sens, 2 vs Fla that might well determine our playoff fate.

• H_T_L locked this topic

Archived