The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: New Coach

BigTed3

14 members have voted

1. 1. Putting aside language, who would be your first choice as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens next year?

• Michel Therrien
    • Claude Julien
    • Ken Hitchcock
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Kirk Muller
    • Marc Crawford
    • Guy Boucher
    • Other

We can dream, can't we?

There are rumors Julien and Hitchcock may not survive the off-season and could be available. There are some other names who are already available who could be candidates. If we put aside the silly language restriction and you could choose anyone potentially available, would you retain Therrien? If not, which coach would you opt for?

I'll go with Dineen. I think he could move the team in the right direction pretty quickly, based on what he's done in the past. I can think of better candidates, but not necessarily candidates that work for this team right now. We're deep in "win now" mode, and we can't waste time with personality conflicts and bluster which has occasionally happened with Hitchcock before. As well, the priority right now should be blatantly obvious to anyone who's watched more than 5 minutes of the Montreal Canadiens since 2013: move on from Therrien, who has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever, and get someone else. Other than Hartley and Roy, it's hard to imagine that literally any other candidate couldn't improve the team through addition by subtraction; if Crawford, a deeply mediocre coach, was given the reigns of the currently constructed Canadiens with good health, the results would almost certainly be better than what Therrien got even though I think his time in the NHL is passed.

Guest Regis2

I selected 'other'. IF he were available I'd select Stan Bowman.

Coach not GM

I went with Julien even though he irritates me when he whines after a loss.

But MT irritates me even more with his arrogant press conferences

In order,

Dineen

Julien

Hitchcock

Muller

Boucher

Crawford

Therrien

I like Dineen as a young coach with past experience, a good track record, and whose had a chance to learn recently from one of the best. Julien is a 2nd choice, with Hitch right behind. The thing I think we need to remember with Julien though is that even if he is made available by Boston, he might be one of the few guys who meets are tight criteria but we'd certainly be far from the only team chasing him. Julien isn't limited in the same way we are and he could easily go to work somewhere else. Why couldn't he choose to go and work in St. Louis or Ottawa or Calgary or Columbus or so on instead? He could. Any of those other guys, outside of maybe Crawford (who is himself an antiquated coach) would be a huge step up on Therrien though.

Guest Regis2

lol

Mitch Melnick ‏@HunterZThompson · 8h8 hours ago

Mitch Melnick Retweeted john b

Yep. There is something distasteful about fact that the only guys who can coach Habs have already coached them.

Archived