The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Habs Lines

BigTed3

I'd go with this... and this is my reasoning...

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher: Both Gally's have played well together in the past (albeit at one time with Eller at center) and ended last year as the defacto 1st line before the signing of Radulov and change by Therrien. Both Gally's need a reboot and ice-time will be important.

Lehkonen - Plekanec - Radulov: Both Lehkonen and Plekanec have played well together (albeit, IMO, with Byron's speed on the right wing) and are defensively responsible (something I believe Radulov needs to compliment his play). Lehkonen and Plekanec could use Radulov's play-making help leaving them open for scoring chances as they let Radulov carry the play.
Carr - Danault - Shaw: This line combines grit, speed and a good two-way center option that can fore-check and create havoc... and maybe add scoring
Byron - Mitchell - Flynn: This line was very effective at the start of the season and a threat on the fore-check and with their collective speed. They were scoring too.

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Pateryn

My Lines, if i had my way:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Carr - Plekanec - McCarron
Byron - Mitchell - Shaw

________ - Weber
Beaulieu - Petry
Markov - Pateryn

We have one hole to fill imho.  Sure, if you get a RNH for cheap, you do it but honestly i think our forwards are ok. I think our bottom 2 pairings are ok. I just think our 1st pairing needs a puck-moving defensman.  I think Sergachev is ideal in a year or 2 but in the meantime maybe we can swing a deal. Can Shattenkirk be had as a rental? Maybe (He does shoot right but has played LD very well)  Brian Campbell is still an amazing skater, could he handle the minutes any more? Alzner would be a good dark-horse fit but i dont see the caps letting him go before their playoff run...

I think we can "make do" without any trades but i think we'll be a lot better if we can fill that hole. 

4 hours ago, Regis22 said:

1 st line is fine

The remainder I have no faith in

The 3rd and 4th line are ok if used properly ... the problem is the 2nd line ... Danault isn't a 2nd line center, he's a 3rd liner like Pleks.     Lehkonen hasn't proved anything yet ... so you need to replace either Danault or Lehk on the 2nd to make it jump out

18 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

The 3rd and 4th line are ok if used properly ... the problem is the 2nd line ... Danault isn't a 2nd line center, he's a 3rd liner like Pleks.     Lehkonen hasn't proved anything yet ... so you need to replace either Danault or Lehk on the 2nd to make it jump out

Danault is currently in the top 60 for scoring for centres.  He's also terrific defensively. How is that not a second line centre?  I agree that its been a very small sample size but the stats for the year say that he's a 2nd line centre.  There are very very few teams in the NHL who will have two 70point centres.  

I agree Lehkonen has yet to prove he's a top 6 player and if we could get a cheap rental  then thats a position Id definitely look at, but he's also done nothing to prove to me he doesnt warrant that spot.  Put it another way: if we're making lines based on what we have, he's the most balanced LW we have after Pacioretty. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Danault is currently in the top 60 for scoring for centres.  He's also terrific defensively. How is that not a second line centre?  I agree that its been a very small sample size but the stats for the year say that he's a 2nd line centre.  There are very very few teams in the NHL who will have two 70point centres.  . 

He's just not a 2nd line centre , if he was there wouldn't be all this talk to get another centre

The Habs don't have any 70 pt centres

Max should get there but no one else will

Lines at Julien's first practice, (which was apparently delayed by a zamboni breaking down, omen? :p):

Byron - Plekanec - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw
Andrighetto - Mitchell - Flynn

Emelin - Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu - Nesterov

Scratches: Desharnais, Pateryn

So Galchenyuk gets to play where he (imo) belongs, at least for now.

24 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

Lines at Julien's first practice, (which was apparently delayed by a zamboni breaking down, omen? :p):

Byron - Plekanec - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw
Andrighetto - Mitchell - Flynn

Emelin - Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu - Nesterov

Scratches: Desharnais, Pateryn

So Galchenyuk gets to play where he (imo) belongs, at least for now.

Looks like good safe lines to evaluate and implement the system. Will be interesting to see if any of those change (ie he moves players up or down the lineup) or if he stays with them & goes to MB to ask him to fill in some holes.

Only surprise to me is that we dressed 4 LD and only 2RD    Will be interesting to see if Julien keeps his 3rd pairing with two left D.

22 hours ago, Regis22 said:

He's just not a 2nd line centre , if he was there wouldn't be all this talk to get another centre

The Habs don't have any 70 pt centres

Max should get there but no one else will

Your opinion.

You offered opinion "he's not a 2nd line centre" but i'm offering fact: he's scored in the top 60 (30 teams, top 2 centres = 60).   And its not like you can say he's one dimensional (like DD when he put up good numbers) either because he's been one of our best defensive forwards.  You may say you dont like him as a second line centre, or your dont think he can perform as one going forward but he has been one in the 2016-17 season so far. 

As for the talk about getting another centre, MT totally misused half our roster. I really dont think we have any idea what we have.   Honestly if MT had his way Chucky would be our 2nd line LW. 

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

McCarron also recalled... if they weren't going to play him then why recall him early and waste cap space, so presumably these lines might change a bit. Maybe Mac in for Flynn???

Id love to see Mac on the RW slot beside Danault & Lekhonen and then put Shaw in Flynn's place on the 4th. 

58 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

McCarron also recalled... if they weren't going to play him then why recall him early and waste cap space, so presumably these lines might change a bit. Maybe Mac in for Flynn???

That would make sense. Mitchell and Flynn are the most known quantities on the roster, so if Julien wants to see McCarron in action, he can view him at RW and C on the 4th by replacing either of those players. They don't need to be evaluated in any way, they are solid 4th liners that can play on the 3rd line in a pinch, and they know their role on the team at this point.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov is obviously a fantastic line. The question is not their value together, the question is whether the rest of the line-up can support not having them split up.

I really like Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw as a line, I thought that was one of our best combinations earlier in the season. Again, the major question here is whether using Lehkonen on the 3rd leaves us anything else to go on the 2nd line.

The 2nd line thus remains the biggest question mark. I have no doubt Gallagher qualifies to play here. The two question marks are whether we can find someone better than Byron to play there and whether Plekanec can rebound under the new coach. I'm not surprised CJ decided to go back to Pleks in a top 6 role though, given how well he knows him. If Pleks can pick up his game, then a trade for someone like Vanek/Cammalleri/Skinner/etc. really solidifies the top 6 and makes this a viable forward group.

The 4th line is interesting to some degree in that Julien opted to play Ghetto here. In some ways, Byron could be a better choice there if we can find an upgrade on the 2nd line. I would honestly prefer to see Carr-Mitchell-Mac as the 4th line, as I thought those three really dominated in recent weeks in that role. As noted, Mac ideally finds a way to move up the line-up though, as he's got a higher ceiling than 4th line.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Your opinion.

You offered opinion "he's not a 2nd line centre" but i'm offering fact: he's scored in the top 60 (30 teams, top 2 centres = 60). 

lol Well yea. We all have opinions. 

I just think there has to be someone better .
Heck Dale Weise got 26 and 29 pts in Montreal because MT put him in situations where he could get those points but he was never a 1 st or 2nd line player . Now he's lucky he's still in the NHL

I floated out the idea of Beaulieu-Gallagher for Gostisbehere-Couturier in the GDT yesterday. Would give us something like

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov

Pacioretty-Couturier-McCarron

Danault-Plekanec-Shaw

Byron-Mitchell-Carr

Gostisbehere-Weber

Markov-Petry

Emelin-Pateryn

Same premise holds true if you want to use Gallagher as a piece to make a trade for Duchene or RNH or so on... giving up a young stud like Gallagher likely reduces the price of whatever else you need to pay, and it means you get your top 6 center but then have to have faith in McCarron to move up into the top 6 as a winger (or if you prefer, Hudon or Scherbak). But easier to find a top 6 winger than a center.

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I m not in favor of acquiring Gostisbehere. He appears to be brutal defensively

Well given what we have to work with (Weber), we need to find someone who can play the left side and move the puck. Markov might work in the short term but can he hold up with big minutes? Emelin and Weber together hasn't generated much puck movement or offence. Beaulieu has struggled with responsibility. Doesn't have to be Gostisbehere, but he's a guy who seems to be underrated by his current team, so might be cheaper than others.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Well given what we have to work with (Weber), we need to find someone who can play the left side and move the puck. Markov might work in the short term but can he hold up with big minutes? Emelin and Weber together hasn't generated much puck movement or offence. Beaulieu has struggled with responsibility. Doesn't have to be Gostisbehere, but he's a guy who seems to be underrated by his current team, so might be cheaper than others.

We wouldn`t have had this problem in the first place if we had kept Subban. -_-

Interesting that Julien has gone back to Danault on the 1st.  Is Galchenyuk looking so bad defensively that Julien is worried about him getting those minutes/matchups? or is it a case of the coach thinking Galchenyuk's confidence is too low & wants to slowly ease him back into the 1st line role?   Time will tell I guess...

One HUGE positive of listening to almost every player interview since friday is that just about every one of them has said how much better  communication has been.  

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interesting that Julien has gone back to Danault on the 1st.  Is Galchenyuk looking so bad defensively that Julien is worried about him getting those minutes/matchups? or is it a case of the coach thinking Galchenyuk's confidence is too low & wants to slowly ease him back into the 1st line role?   Time will tell I guess...

One HUGE positive of listening to almost every player interview since friday is that just about every one of them has said how much better  communication has been.  

Chuck has been bounced around the line up ever since he got here, with different line mates and up and down the line. If he was drafted as a center then play him at center, if he was drafted as a winger then dam well play him there. Give his decent line mates and he will succeed. 

Communication with MT was always a problem. Now that that has been solved, tackle the next problem. 

I'm thinking CJ doesn't tinker with his top 6 after tonight, but I'd play with the bottom 6 a bit. I'm personally sick of Andrew Shaw's indiscipline and antics, so to me, he slides down to 4th line:

Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov

Byron-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Plekanec-McCarron

Carr-Mitchell-Shaw

And on D, we need to put Emelin back on the 3rd pairing. Markov-Petry is working too well to split it up, so only one option:

Beaulieu-Weber

Markov-Petry

Emelin-Pateryn

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, maas_art said:

except Stefani Pateryn :4224:

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm thinking CJ doesn't tinker with his top 6 after tonight, but I'd play with the bottom 6 a bit. I'm personally sick of Andrew Shaw's indiscipline and antics, so to me, he slides down to 4th line:

And on D, we need to put Emelin back on the 3rd pairing. Markov-Petry is working too well to split it up, so only one option:

Yeah, to me Shaw would be a very good 4th liner... just a very very expensive one. 

Agree with your defensive pairings. If MB cant get a better option for the first pairing, that is the best we've got right now, with the talent spread out to handle the correct amount of minutes. 

Archived