Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Habs Lines


BigTed3

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

 Therrien then added "you can't have two guys who do the same thing, it would be like having two Pacioretty's. Sure, Pacioretty scores goals but you don't need two guys doing that."

THis is classsic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Gaston Therrien on Anti-Chambre now saying the Habs have to make a decision this summer between Gallagher and Shaw but that they can't keep both because they're the same player. I don't know what games he's watching because other than both guys getting in the opponents' faces, there's very little in common. Gallagher is  hard worker with skill and can also score. Shaw isn't as talented but does take a lot of boneheaded penalties. They're not even close in terms of who's worth more. Therrien then added "you can't have two guys who do the same thing, it would be like having two Pacioretty's. Sure, Pacioretty scores goals but you don't need two guys doing that." I can't even believe how idiotic that sounds... how do people like this have jobs on tv?

Ted, when I first read your comment I was just kind of skimming through and I assumed that that was a comparison that you made to show how dumb his Gallagher comment was.  I chuckled and moved on - it wasn't until reading the other comments that I had to go back and read that he actually said this as well.   That's incredible! :lol:  It's so over-the-top dumb that my brain wouldn't even accept that a paid professional could even say it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lets hope that Julien has some say in who we protect and who we dont for the ED.


I dont think Julien is the world's best evaluator of talent but i do think he is a fair bit better than either MB or MT so it would be nice if we let him have some say in who we protect and who we expose.

Having said that, up front Im not too worried about who we expose: we should have more then enough spaces to protect our core.  On the back-end we will have to expose at least one young decent quality dman (we will for sure protect Weber and Petry... its a toss up between Benn and Beau for the 3rd spot at this point, i think) but there are  alot of other teams who will have top 4 dmen exposed. I think there's a fair chance we dont lose any of our defensmen but i guess time will tell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

King and Emelin need to sit.

On D, I'd go back to

Beaulieu-Weber

Markov-Petry

Davidson-Benn

And up front, I ask again "where's Hudon?"

Sit King,,, bring up Hudon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Sit King,,, bring up Hudon. 

Being Saskatchewan born and raised, I am embarrassed that King is from Meadow Lake. His lack of heart is inexcusable and he should be ashamed of himself .......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

King and Emelin need to sit.

On D, I'd go back to

Beaulieu-Weber

Markov-Petry

Davidson-Benn

And up front, I ask again "where's Hudon?"

Ditto.

Hudon may not have any impact either, but at least that is questionable, whereas our other options have proven not to have an impact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2017 at 7:15 PM, BigTed3 said:

King and Emelin need to sit.

On D, I'd go back to

Beaulieu-Weber

Markov-Petry

Davidson-Benn

And up front, I ask again "where's Hudon?"

This.

I dont see Julien going back to Beau on that top pairing though. And i think with Benn taking a lot of Markov's minutes on the PK we are probably ok with Markov-Weber for now.  They've looked decent together.   Beau-Petry may be good to try again as I definitey dont think Davidson should be in our top 4, although I like him on that third pairing. 

48 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw
King/Martinsen-Ott-Mitchell

Todays practice lines. Haven't seen the D pairings  yet

Those arent bad lines.   I mean any scenario where our 3 best forwards form our top line is good i think, but i like the idea of pleks/gally  and Danault/Lehkonen so we should have two good lines that can play 2 way hockey after our 1st.  I agree with the above though, id rather see Hudon on the #2 LW although i suppose its not a bad play to ride Byron while he's hot. 

4th line is 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This.

I dont see Julien going back to Beau on that top pairing though. And i think with Benn taking a lot of Markov's minutes on the PK we are probably ok with Markov-Weber for now.  They've looked decent together.   Beau-Petry may be good to try again as I definitey dont think Davidson should be in our top 4, although I like him on that third pairing. 

Those arent bad lines.   I mean any scenario where our 3 best forwards form our top line is good i think, but i like the idea of pleks/gally  and Danault/Lehkonen so we should have two good lines that can play 2 way hockey after our 1st.  I agree with the above though, id rather see Hudon on the #2 LW although i suppose its not a bad play to ride Byron while he's hot.

Markov-Petry is IMO the best D pairing we have come up with season. That's why I'd go back to it. I'd work the rest of the combos out around that. Petry has had less success with Beaulieu and Emelin, although the same can be said of Weber. Our left side is just extremely weak right now. I'd like to think Beaulieu is a different player than he was at the start of the season. The advanced stats show he's done pretty well on the PP, and he's been fairly good on the 3rd pairing. Given the lack of other alternatives and the fact that on paper, he fits the billing of a player who can skate and move the puck (which is ideally what you want to complement Weber), I'd go back to him and see if he's more capable of playing tougher minutes than he was earlier in the season.

Up front, the 1st and 3rd lines from practice are great and we once again come back to the fact we don't have a true second line. Only Gallagher is a top 6 player among the rest of the players after the top 3. Whether it's Hudon (most deserving) or Scherbak (better size than Hudon) or McCarron, the Habs have got to try someone else in that top 6 role. I don't think Plekanec and Byron can hold up in that role for very long, the former under-performing for almost two years now and the latter probably playing above his head and with a question of sustainability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Markov-Petry is IMO the best D pairing we have come up with season. That's why I'd go back to it. I'd work the rest of the combos out around that. Petry has had less success with Beaulieu and Emelin, although the same can be said of Weber. Our left side is just extremely weak right now. I'd like to think Beaulieu is a different player than he was at the start of the season. The advanced stats show he's done pretty well on the PP, and he's been fairly good on the 3rd pairing. Given the lack of other alternatives and the fact that on paper, he fits the billing of a player who can skate and move the puck (which is ideally what you want to complement Weber), I'd go back to him and see if he's more capable of playing tougher minutes than he was earlier in the season.

Up front, the 1st and 3rd lines from practice are great and we once again come back to the fact we don't have a true second line. Only Gallagher is a top 6 player among the rest of the players after the top 3. Whether it's Hudon (most deserving) or Scherbak (better size than Hudon) or McCarron, the Habs have got to try someone else in that top 6 role. I don't think Plekanec and Byron can hold up in that role for very long, the former under-performing for almost two years now and the latter probably playing above his head and with a question of sustainability.

Basically, the 2nd line needs a "spark". Whoever is left over can give us a solid 3rd line, as most of them are defensively responsible. We need to change the dynamic and give someone the opportunity to take advantage of those defensively responsible linemates to be free to go wild on offense. Any of those players, given permission to do what it takes to produce offense, can potentially work. If McCarron is focused on getting the puck to the net instead of grinding and fighting, Scherbak is allowed to use his skill/shot and let his teammates cover for his mistakes, or Hudon gets the call to not always be the first one to abandon the zone, we might create some controlled chaos and get some better opportunities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please continue to keep Emelin the press box.  Wouldn't have survived tonight against Sens (or any other game) if he had played. :7073:

Insert Martinsen please.  He can replace Mitchell if CJ doesn't want to drop Dwight King.

Not expecting Hudon in the lineup until it's too little, too late.  Pity.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/03/2017 at 8:42 PM, BigTed3 said:

That Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw line has yielded results every time it's been put together. It's a fantastic 3rd line. Once again, it's the 2nd line that we're lacking pieces for by keeping that line together.

Thing is though, if we assume our 1st line is our 3 best forwards (Patches - Galchenyuk - Radu) and we agree thats a great third line, we may yet have the components for a legit second.

Gallagher is a bone fide 2nd liner.  Poor puck luck aside, he's looked much better lately & I think most teams in the league would slot him onto their 2nd line.  Plekanec has looked a LOT better the last couple of weeks. Im not sure if he's able to take back 2nd line duties, but possibly.    Byron, while he's been amazing hasnt shown me he's a 2nd liner... but Hudon might be.   

wouldnt it be time to call up CH ?  I mean surely you want to give him a couple of games just so you know what you have before the POs ?  No? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The line of Patches-galchenyuk-radu DOES NOT WORK!!!! they cant score because no one is in front of the net wreaking havoc!! The best lines were atthe beginning of the year when the habs went 13-1, and were scoring 4 goals a game

patches-galchenyuck-gallagher

radulov-plecky-?

I have no idea why they never went back to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎20 at 0:29 AM, maas_art said:

Thing is though, if we assume our 1st line is our 3 best forwards (Patches - Galchenyuk - Radu) and we agree thats a great third line, we may yet have the components for a legit second.

Gallagher is a bone fide 2nd liner.  Poor puck luck aside, he's looked much better lately & I think most teams in the league would slot him onto their 2nd line.  Plekanec has looked a LOT better the last couple of weeks. Im not sure if he's able to take back 2nd line duties, but possibly.    Byron, while he's been amazing hasnt shown me he's a 2nd liner... but Hudon might be.   

wouldnt it be time to call up CH ?  I mean surely you want to give him a couple of games just so you know what you have before the POs ?  No? 

Byron is a 20 goal scorer and has the second most goals on the team ...... seems a little harsh to say he doesn't belong on the 2nd line but Hudon might. I like Hudon's potential as well but he has yet to prove that he belongs in the NHL let alone be a top six forward ... no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, eldag said:

Byron is a 20 goal scorer and has the second most goals on the team ...... seems a little harsh to say he doesn't belong on the 2nd line but Hudon might. I like Hudon's potential as well but he has yet to prove that he belongs in the NHL let alone be a top six forward ... no?

I didnt say he didnt belong on the 2nd line right now, I said he "hasnt shown me" he's a "2nd liner."  You cant argue with facts: he has 20 goals and deserves every one of them. I want him on my team and i think certain aspects of his game are amazing, but I just am not sold he can be a 2nd liner year in year out.  Gallagher has proven to me that he is. Plekanec used to be (although he's fallen off a cliff this year).  

Hudon is a guy who in the AHL has shown he's a top 6 and so far has done nothing to show me he cant do the same in the NHL but you're absolutely right: he hasnt proven anything yet (while Byron, small sample size aside) has put up some great numbers this year.

But thats whats great about this board: being able to offer opinions.  Maybe Byron proves me wrong and he's a 20 goal scorere for 3 more years (id love to be wrong in that case!) and maybe Hudon is a total flop, but based on what i see of them I think Hudon has more potential going forward to be a bonefide top 6, while Im still not sold Byron can be, consistently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I didnt say he didnt belong on the 2nd line right now, I said he "hasnt shown me" he's a "2nd liner."  You cant argue with facts: he has 20 goals and deserves every one of them. I want him on my team and i think certain aspects of his game are amazing, but I just am not sold he can be a 2nd liner year in year out.  Gallagher has proven to me that he is. Plekanec used to be (although he's fallen off a cliff this year).  

Hudon is a guy who in the AHL has shown he's a top 6 and so far has done nothing to show me he cant do the same in the NHL but you're absolutely right: he hasnt proven anything yet (while Byron, small sample size aside) has put up some great numbers this year.

But thats whats great about this board: being able to offer opinions.  Maybe Byron proves me wrong and he's a 20 goal scorere for 3 more years (id love to be wrong in that case!) and maybe Hudon is a total flop, but based on what i see of them I think Hudon has more potential going forward to be a bonefide top 6, while Im still not sold Byron can be, consistently. 

One thing is for sure  ..... Hudon should be up with the big team now so we can find out what he is capable of doing. I don't understand the reluctance to give him a shot ......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
The idea was to stop playing from behind and have a line that could score somewhat consistently, hopefully first and often.
Well, some of us wanted it, and it has looked really good at times, but it hasn't been producing like we wanted.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Radulov
Byron - Danault - Shaw

Those are the best linemates for each center, all having improved GF% when together.
The only exception is Shaw, where it breaks even at 50% Goals For, but with 65% Corsi For.
The biggest issue, is that while the Plekanec line has a good GF% (around 60%), they don't have a lot of goals overall (2.11-2.45/60).

I just thought that was interesting.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/03/2017 at 11:23 AM, RicochetII said:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
The idea was to stop playing from behind and have a line that could score somewhat consistently, hopefully first and often.
Well, some of us wanted it, and it has looked really good at times, but it hasn't been producing like we wanted.
 

This! Notwithstanding the trio represent the top 3 individual forwards of the roster, that line's performance has been abysmal! Output does not equal the sum of its parts. When secondary scoring is available to compensate, the team can still eke out a win. If not, it is the worst performing "top" line of any playoff bound team.

Please remove Weber from OT and replace him with Benn. Weber always give me the jitters in OT. If he loses the puck battle, it's basically gone case unless a forward rushes back in time to defend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...