The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: 2016 Rookies

BigTed3

Rookies  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which rookie forward do you think can most help the Habs next season?

• Nikita Scherbak
    • Charles Hudon
    • Arturri Lehkonen
    • Martin Reway

We have a large number of rookie forwards who could potentially earn one of the last roster spots out of camp. Putting aside the players who had a bigger impact last year, which forward with little to no NHL experience do you think can be most useful to us next season? We're not asking you which player you think will actually get a chance, we're asking you which one you would push to get on the roster if you were in charge.

I declined to vote as there is no option for none of the above B)

I don't feel that any of those guys are ready start

I think you couldn't be more wrong. I think Hudon and Lehkonen can start for MTL next year. I think MTL has to afford at least 1 or 2 (Possibly even 3) young guns the opportunity to play. Especially since this club seems to lack so much offensively and doesn't appear to be capable of resolving the issue through trade or free agency. You can argue that all they need to do is sign Okposo or trade for Drouin, but this administration clearly lacks the hockey IQ to do either a trade or signing effectively.

I don't see why we can't have our rookies step in a succeed. Other teams do it. More importantly, successful teams like Chicago and LA do it. There's no reason why our rookies can't become regular contributors to our success.

Guest Regis2

I think you couldn't be more wrong. I think Hudon and Lehkonen can start for MTL next year. I think MTL has to afford at least 1 or 2 (Possibly even 3) young guns the opportunity to play. Especially since this club seems to lack so much offensively and doesn't appear to be capable of resolving the issue through trade or free agency. You can argue that all they need to do is sign Okposo or trade for Drouin, but this administration clearly lacks the hockey IQ to do either a trade or signing effectively.

I don't see why we can't have our rookies step in a succeed. Other teams do it. More importantly, successful teams like Chicago and LA do it. There's no reason why our rookies can't become regular contributors to our success.

lol....Im fine with your assessment of my assessment

I don't think there is room for one of those four rookies in the top six

You have returning players Sven Andrighetto, Daniel Carr, Michael McCarron also challenging for a spot , at least these 3 guys have played some games in the HL . The other four have proven nothing , yet .

And with MT as coach , if you don't produce right away you go to the pressbox

In terms of who will end up being the best player, I think the answer is very much a crapshoot. All 4 of these guys have the potential to be top 6-9 forwards in the league, but it's unlikely we'll see more than 1 or 2 actually succeed. But in terms of who is ready to help the Habs as of this coming season, I think Hudon is the most ready. Scherbak was hurt and struggled to find his groove last year. Lehkonen and Reway are coming over to the Habs "system" for the first time this year. I think the adjustment there might be a little longer. Both players are certainly capable, but I like Hudon's chances of succeeding because he's done well in the AHL and has shown himself to be a little bit more NHL-ready. Therrien is obviously an obstacle to his playing, especially since Hudon has criticized him publicly, but if you ask me who is most ready to help us right away, I think the answer is Hudon.

In terms of who will end up being the best player, I think the answer is very much a crapshoot. All 4 of these guys have the potential to be top 6-9 forwards in the league, but it's unlikely we'll see more than 1 or 2 actually succeed. But in terms of who is ready to help the Habs as of this coming season, I think Hudon is the most ready. Scherbak was hurt and struggled to find his groove last year. Lehkonen and Reway are coming over to the Habs "system" for the first time this year. I think the adjustment there might be a little longer. Both players are certainly capable, but I like Hudon's chances of succeeding because he's done well in the AHL and has shown himself to be a little bit more NHL-ready. Therrien is obviously an obstacle to his playing, especially since Hudon has criticized him publicly, but if you ask me who is most ready to help us right away, I think the answer is Hudon.

Are you sure that's not an advantage? :P

For those who want to down play Artturi Lehkonen's steller 2015-2016 for Frolunda, allow me to point out:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=147613

Artturi Lehkonen doubled his goal, assist and point totals in his second season. He started this season as a 3rd liner. He also broke a 20 year LEAGUE RECORD for playoff points in a season, formerly held by Daniel Alfredsson. Lehkonen at the AGE OF 20, LED The Frolunda Indians to the Swedish League championship,with a record breaking 19 points in 16 games. There are not too many international pro hockey leagues as well respected as the Swedish League. I would dare say the Swedish league is a more high profile, pro league than the KHL.

In terms of who will end up being the best player, I think the answer is very much a crapshoot. All 4 of these guys have the potential to be top 6-9 forwards in the league, but it's unlikely we'll see more than 1 or 2 actually succeed. But in terms of who is ready to help the Habs as of this coming season, I think Hudon is the most ready. Scherbak was hurt and struggled to find his groove last year. Lehkonen and Reway are coming over to the Habs "system" for the first time this year. I think the adjustment there might be a little longer. Both players are certainly capable, but I like Hudon's chances of succeeding because he's done well in the AHL and has shown himself to be a little bit more NHL-ready. Therrien is obviously an obstacle to his playing, especially since Hudon has criticized him publicly, but if you ask me who is most ready to help us right away, I think the answer is Hudon.\

Pretty spot on. I still think that Scherbak, despite his setbacks last year, has that special quality (vision) that could see him being the most successful of the 4, but its tough to see him transitioning to our club next year already.

Hudon is probably the safe bet as he has played our system and has done well in the minors. Reway and Lehkonen may adapt immediately (some players do) but its unlikely they are ready for at least 1 more year.

Charles Hudon. We need to blood a bigger, better and younger Francophone forward into the lineup,so that DD is increasingly made redundant. On merit alone, Hudon has more upsides than DD.

I am still of the opinion that DD wont be with the club come october. Maybe im dreaming but it sounds like MB was pretty actively shopping him last TD (despite the injury) so I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him gone in the next month or 2.

Guest habs1952

Dump and chase. Nothing hard about that.

Guest Regis2

For those who want to down play Artturi Lehkonen's steller 2015-2016 for Frolunda, allow me to point out:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=147613

Artturi Lehkonen doubled his goal, assist and point totals in his second season. He started this season as a 3rd liner. He also broke a 20 year LEAGUE RECORD for playoff points in a season, formerly held by Daniel Alfredsson. Lehkonen at the AGE OF 20, LED The Frolunda Indians to the Swedish League championship,with a record breaking 19 points in 16 games. There are not too many international pro hockey leagues as well respected as the Swedish League. I would dare say the Swedish league is a more high profile, pro league than the KHL.

That would be me . If he kid makes it GREAT . I don't think he will . Too small , needs to bulk up. He will find the NA game different

I voted for Scherbak, but I doubt any of the kids get a legitimate chance next year unless injuries happen to the same extent as this season. The merit and potential of players who don't fit a few very specific archetypes seems to mean little to this front office and coaching staff.

Archived