The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Negative Thread

BigTed3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm holding out hope for the moment. Nothing has happened yet that I'm completely opposed to BUT if Shaw get 4 or more a year (I'm fine with term) and if we don't sign a top 6 forward and either trade or send DD to the minors... I'm DONE watching the habs until MB and MT are fired. This offseason (for me) was about giving them a second chance to learn from their mistakes, I haven't seen anything like that.

Guest Regis2

Some think they are better

Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro · Jun 24

Tony Marinaro Retweeted Cody

Please stop. The Montreal Canadiens are a better team with Andrew Shaw then they are with Lars Eller. End of story!

Some think they are better

Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro · Jun 24

Tony Marinaro Retweeted Cody

Please stop. The Montreal Canadiens are a better team with Andrew Shaw then they are with Lars Eller. End of story!

Marinaro apparently also said the following:

HabsLinks ‏@HabsLinks · Jun 24

@TonyMarinaro on @TSN690: "Multiple sources confirmed the player the Habs tried hardest to move at the trade deadline was David Desharnais"

Sounds nice, doesn't mean it's true though... Also, why would anybody pick up Desharnais at the deadline given his terrible playoff numbers?

@TonyMarinaro on @TSN690: "Multiple sources confirmed the player the Habs tried hardest to move at the trade deadline was David Desharnais"

Sounds nice, doesn't mean it's true though... Also, why would anybody pick up Desharnais at the deadline given his terrible playoff numbers?

He isn't that heavy? ;)

I really don't think we need to have Paul Byron, Torrey Mitchell, Stefan Matteau, and Brian Flynn on our roster to begin next season. I thought Matteau was the most disappointing of these guys last season... I'm not really sure where Flynn fits in either.

I would keep Mitchell as the 4C. He's good in that role and we need a right-handed center for draws late in games. The other three guys really serve very little purpose on our roster, I agree with you. I don't see what they can do that the likes of Danault, Andrighetto, Carr, Hudon, Reway, Lehkonen, and even Lessio couldn't do for cheaper or with more upside.

I really don't think we need to have Paul Byron, Torrey Mitchell, Stefan Matteau, and Brian Flynn on our roster to begin next season. I thought Matteau was the most disappointing of these guys last season... I'm not really sure where Flynn fits in either.

I would keep Mitchell as the 4C. He's good in that role and we need a right-handed center for draws late in games. The other three guys really serve very little purpose on our roster, I agree with you. I don't see what they can do that the likes of Danault, Andrighetto, Carr, Hudon, Reway, Lehkonen, and even Lessio couldn't do for cheaper or with more upside.

Agree with you both... something has to give. Matteau was not qualified, so there is that (another nothing pick-up for MB). Byron was re-signed but could be traded perhaps. One of Flynn (younger and bigger... 1yr lower cap hit) and Mitchell (more experienced... 2yrs) should be moved IMO.

As I've repeated countless times, the only way DD leaves the team is seeing out his contract to the end or get bought out. No trade. No other GM is dumb enough to take the bait.

Still hard to believe that we actually signed Paul Byron to a 3-year deal.

Still hard to believe that we actually signed Paul Byron to a 3-year deal.

Not hard to believe given the man handing out the contracts and making the decisions. Giving Byron 3 years is consistent with trading PK and Eller, forcing Subban and Galchenyuk into bridge deals while locking up Andrew Shaw long-term, and prioritizing grit over skill.

I am still honestly flabbergasted. This is worse than anything I could have possibly imagined. I was getting pretty sour on Bergevin at this point but I was wholly unprepared for such an unmitigated disaster. This is a cataclysmically bad decision.

Archived