The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

30 minutes ago, roy_133 said:

Leddy is really good but trading Pacioretty at 4.5 million to go play with Tavares feels like something we'll be whining about for a while. The whole Pacioretty thing is going to blow up at some point though because the market has their teeth into him, it's more likely we make a Cammalleri-esque trade than anything but I assume they'll play out the year and then just passive-aggressively blame whatever disappointing ending on him or on "leadership". After he's run out of town it'll be interesting to see who becomes the fall guy with Subban and Max both gone. Obviously Galchenyuk is the leading candidate, especially since he'll be demanding a hefty contract this summer. 

Let's not forget Plekanec & DD

'Bergevin continues to explore the market and determine which players could become available later in the season, likely in the New Year and closer to the March 1 trade deadline.

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, who mentioned this in his latest "30 Thoughts" column, the Canadiens could also pursue another power forward this season.

As Friedman notes, with the Canadiens sitting at the top of the standings, management could look to strengthen the team's chances at competing for the Stanley Cup this season by adding outside assistance.

It's unclear if the Habs are willing to move any of their top young talent in exchange for short-term rentals, but it's presumed the team would be interested in exploring that option for a player with more term left on his contract.'

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl161124.html

On 11/25/2016 at 2:21 PM, Habs=stanleycup said:

'Bergevin continues to explore the market and determine which players could become available later in the season, likely in the New Year and closer to the March 1 trade deadline.

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, who mentioned this in his latest "30 Thoughts" column, the Canadiens could also pursue another power forward this season.

As Friedman notes, with the Canadiens sitting at the top of the standings, management could look to strengthen the team's chances at competing for the Stanley Cup this season by adding outside assistance.

It's unclear if the Habs are willing to move any of their top young talent in exchange for short-term rentals, but it's presumed the team would be interested in exploring that option for a player with more term left on his contract.'

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl161124.html

I'm still not opposed to the idea of acquiring Scott Hartnell.  Maybe that's a movwe we can make involving DD.  Hartnell would be a good playoff Power forward to grab.

According to Eklund we are making it known that Desharnais is available.

I'll believe it when i see it (although there seems to be very reliable sources that DD was being shopped at last year's deadline).   Logically it makes a lot of sense - he has basically no spot here, but that's been a case for a while so it begs the question "Why now?"

If Eller got us two second rounders and DD is UFA we probably won't get much more than a third or fourth for him unless he starts lighting it up. So a DD for Yakupov trade might be worth a look, I think Bergevin is probably getting offers of next to nothing right now. Makes sense that he is being shopped though, as I don't see him getting the money or the contract he wants here next year. Thanks for the update. 

2 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

If Eller got us two second rounders and DD is UFA we probably won't get much more than a third or fourth for him unless he starts lighting it up. So a DD for Yakupov trade might be worth a look, I think Bergevin is probably getting offers of next to nothing right now. Makes sense that he is being shopped though, as I don't see him getting the money or the contract he wants here next year. Thanks for the update. 

Getting nothing would be a improvement by just getting DD off the ice and inserting McCarron or another hungry player.  

#10. David Desharnais

I keep hearing rumblings about Desharnais. It would be surprising for a team in the playoffs like Montréal to move a player like this, but don't forget you have one of the most aggressive GM's in the league in charge of the Canadiens.

you gotta love this eklund guy....."a player like this"......like what???  if someone wanted to be generous we would get a 7th rounder

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

you gotta love this eklund guy....."a player like this"......like what???  if someone wanted to be generous we would get a 7th rounder

Yeah, no kidding. UFA or not, I don't think there's any trade market for an undersized, offensive-minded center who doesn't score and comes with a Cap hit of 3.5 million. If anything, it's going to be a trade for a similarly overpaid reclamation project from another team.

7 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, no kidding. UFA or not, I don't think there's any trade market for an undersized, offensive-minded center who doesn't score and comes with a Cap hit of 3.5 million. If anything, it's going to be a trade for a similarly overpaid reclamation project from another team.

Its why DD for Yakupov may make sense if St Louis has indeed given up on him.  I actually think its highly unlikely Yaks could survive on our team (I dont think MT would give him a chance) but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be worth trying, especially if it opens up DD's roster spot.

42 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Its why DD for Yakupov may make sense if St Louis has indeed given up on him.  I actually think its highly unlikely Yaks could survive on our team (I dont think MT would give him a chance) but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be worth trying, especially if it opens up DD's roster spot.

Yeah, maybe. I'm not high on Yakupov though and, like you, I doubt he'd be given a fair shot here. But that's probably the kind of deal we're looking at for Davey, or something in the same ball park anyway.

56 minutes ago, Serial_Thrilla_27 said:

I'm wondering if MTL can't resolve it's lack of size issue by simply sticking Chris Terry down in the minors and calling up McCarron and Scherbak.  Try some lines like:

Byron, Galchenyuk, Radulov

Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gallagher

Scherbak, McCarron, Shaw

Danault, Mitchell, Whoever

From the games I've seen McCarron play I would rather have Danault play center let him play the wing as he was drafted. I know they want to make him into a center and a big center is nice. It just doesn't seem he has the foot speed or high end skills for a center. He might be able to be a dominant winger though. He could be great in the corners and in front of the net. Even playing wing in the NHL might get him up to speed to eventually switch to center. I lot of great centers have started on the wing. He wouldn't have the same defensive responsibility also. Would love to see his size in the line up either way though. I'm just thinking as wing he might get here sooner.

10 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

From the games I've seen McCarron play I would rather have Danault play center let him play the wing as he was drafted. I know they want to make him into a center and a big center is nice. It just doesn't seem he has the foot speed or high end skills for a center. He might be able to be a dominant winger though. He could be great in the corners and in front of the net. Even playing wing in the NHL might get him up to speed to eventually switch to center. I lot of great centers have started on the wing. He wouldn't have the same defensive responsibility also. Would love to see his size in the line up either way though. I'm just thinking as wing he might get here sooner.

Agreed. McCarron would probably perform better on wing.

3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Ugg.

There's nothing wrong with Doan & he could still be a useful player but he's completely and utterly not what we actually need.  

Having said that, if Arizona is simply looking to give him a chance to win (like Boston did with Bourque for example) and they will swap him straight up for DD or something then im totally fine with it. If they actually want some value in return its not a good move. 

Doan is basically the worst possible player to replace DD with, because he's all narrative and absolutely nothing else anymore. He's exactly the kind of "gritty" "hard-working" player that Therrien would use and use and use despite getting cratered every single time he steps onto the ice. We're also assuming Arizona wouldn't be able to fleece Bergevin for Scherbak or someone else in this year's magic bean hunt.

To me, and this is just opinion, acquiring a missing piece is a mute point till we replace this terrible system we play under with Therrien. We have the speed to implement a quick transition game but we hold on to the puck way to long and usually give up possession doing so. This, to me, is the majority of their problem right now, and has been for a while now.

SN bunch just brought up that "apparently" MT is not using Patches enough, (because of a riff both ways apparently) , so as a result Patches now wants out of Montreal .

& the best part... if Patches is traded , we are "apparently" going to go for a top 4 d-man (to help Marky out , since he is ancient) Spooner is name they threw out .

:4224:

It got we wondering.. is it legal to put 4 guys tight in the blue paint WITH Price (seal the net) & then have DD as the only forward try to score ?

funny , but Its what we are becoming :5155:

Archived