The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

Also want to point out that very few of these #1 D men have ever changed teams. In fact, only two have: Suter, because Nashville is a small-market team that couldn't afford to pay him (but not because they actively traded him away), and McDonagh, because Gainey made a big mistake and even then this was done at a time when McDonagh wasn't established in the NHL. But none of these guys is considered to be available in a trade, with the exception of possibly Subban if you believe the rumors.

The problem is that MB won't shoot the rumors down. Jim Rutherford came out at the draft and said "I'll tell you this once, Malkin is not being traded" and that was the end to all the speculation. Bergevin refuses to commit to his players the same way.

He did this to my satisfaction. He said he's not shopping him; that's all I need. The deals I've heard seem like a joke, if those were Bergevin's asks then any team would've taken them. I think the "Gretzky was traded" trope is more to blame for the media thinking that this isn't put to rest. Bergevin said he's taking calls, he doesn't know who's calling when he picks up or what they want and if he did he'd likely hang up. As it is, he's said the conversations have been cut very short. He only hasn't said he WON'T be traded because if it was something like OEL, Garland, 3rd for Subban, Desharnais, 2nd then it starts to make more sense. Even so, he's very well liked in Montreal and it may not happen. Just to be clear: I hope it doesn't- I love him.

Brandon Pirri not offered a QO from Anaheim so becomes a UFA July 1st. Also a product of the Chicago system during Bergevin's years there. Apparently we had some interest in him when Florida dealt him last year. He's been a 20-goal scorer and could probably be had for about 1.5M... where to fit him in is a question, but he's an upgrade on Desharnais, Mitchell, Flynn, Byron, DLR, or a host of other players we already have.

In other news...

The Montreal Canadiens have been in contact with Dale Weise's camp. There's interest to perhaps bring him back -- the Canadiens traded him to the Chicago Blackhawks before the deadline -- but it would have to be at the right price. Other teams have also called. Weise is a useful bottom-six guy and was popular in Montreal. But, again, I don't think GM Marc Bergevin goes that route unless the price is right.

http://www.tsn.ca/lucic-demers-visit-edmonton-habs-talk-to-weise-1.517040

Is Shipachyov still on the Habs radar? I would also like some details about him if anyone knows :)

A month back it looked like Russian forward Vadim Shipachyov was going to be blocked from coming over to the NHL. It seems there’s been a turn of events in the saga, and it could spell great news for the Habs.

Reports were that the 29-year-old winger would remain in the KHL, yet Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet reported that he still may yet be able to make the jump to the NHL. Friedman didn’t elaborate too much on the subject, but he did detail that there seems to be changing parts behind the scenes.

It’s tough because of the language barrier and the reported contract clause in his deal with SKA St. Petersburg.

The Canadiens were rumoured to be in the lead to land the 6-foot, 190-pound forward before everything fell through. Do you think the Habs will ultimately land the player?gohabsgo.com

Some teams are worried about Stamkos taking his time to make a decision. That could hurt teams like us who have limited cap space and desperately need to add a scoring forward via free-agency. However, according to Dreger, we are involved in the race to sign him.

A month back it looked like Russian forward Vadim Shipachyov was going to be blocked from coming over to the NHL. It seems there’s been a turn of events in the saga, and it could spell great news for the Habs.

Reports were that the 29-year-old winger would remain in the KHL, yet Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet reported that he still may yet be able to make the jump to the NHL. Friedman didn’t elaborate too much on the subject, but he did detail that there seems to be changing parts behind the scenes.

It’s tough because of the language barrier and the reported contract clause in his deal with SKA St. Petersburg.

The Canadiens were rumoured to be in the lead to land the 6-foot, 190-pound forward before everything fell through. Do you think the Habs will ultimately land the player?gohabsgo.com

Apparently, if he needed permission to sign with an NHL club up until June 30, but after June 30, he enters the last year of his deal in the KHL and apparently has the ability to jump ship after that date. So an NHL signing can take place but only after June 30th...

Guest Regis2

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-will-chase-stamkos-despite-long-odds/

The question is: What does Stamkos covet the most? Is it his net earnings? Is it location? Is it the opportunity to be a No. 1 centre for the majority of his next contract, playing for a team that can compete for the Cup for years to come?

Only he can provide the answers.

The order of those priorities will determine whether Montreal is realistic destination for him.

The Canadiens have a franchise goaltender in Carey Price, a franchise defenceman in P.K. Subban, an elite scorer in Max Pacioretty, a budding star in Alex Galchenyuk, and a couple of warriors in Brendan Gallagher and newly acquired centre Andrew Shaw. It’s a core that should give Stamkos confidence he’ll have a chance at winning over the course of his new deal. And his place as the team’s top centre would be virtually secured throughout.

But this decision is about much more than hockey.

A superstar such as Stamkos would be worshipped in Montreal, and he’d be given the opportunity to go down as one of the greatest Canadiens of all-time, should he perform. But how does he feel about the added pressure and loss of privacy life in Montreal would also present?

What about a tax bracket in Quebec that would see him forfeit a little over 50 per cent of his salary? It would take a lot of creativity from Molson and general manager Bergevin to mitigate the tax situation without circumventing salary cap rules.

When you consider Buffalo and Detroit’s commitment, and when you factor in Toronto’s appeal as his hometown and a team on the rise—it’s hard to consider Montreal as anything more than a dark horse in this race.

But in speaking with several sources throughout the weekend, the Canadiens are absolutely in it.

What Bergevin does next will ultimately determine how serious he is about pursuing Stamkos. Once he signs Shaw, who’s expected to cost anywhere between $3.5-4 million for each of the next five or six years, he’ll have to clear roughly the same amount from his salary cap to fit Stamkos in.

That could mean dealing any one of David Desharnais ($3.5 million for next season), Tomas Plekanec ($6 million for each of the next two seasons) or Alexei Emelin ($4.1 million for each of the next two seasons) before Friday, which is easier said than done.

After that, the rest is up to Stamkos

In other news...

The Montreal Canadiens have been in contact with Dale Weise's camp. There's interest to perhaps bring him back -- the Canadiens traded him to the Chicago Blackhawks before the deadline -- but it would have to be at the right price. Other teams have also called. Weise is a useful bottom-six guy and was popular in Montreal. But, again, I don't think GM Marc Bergevin goes that route unless the price is right.

http://www.tsn.ca/lucic-demers-visit-edmonton-habs-talk-to-weise-1.517040

Not again. Someone fire this guy if he brings him back.

Not again. Someone fire this guy if he brings him back.

Weise is a known quantity... I believe he can help the Habs playing in the right situation... then again therein is the problem (Therrien) and like Desharnais, where can he fit in and at which other player's expense? There are better options out there I believe.

Taxes in Toronto and Montreal would actually end up leaving Stamkos with the same amount of money according to capfriendly.com. Obviously Tampa gives him the highest take-home amount, but supposedly Tampa is only offering 8.5M per season, whereas the other teams are rumored to be in the 10-11M range. So if that's all true, the take-home money isn't going to be that much different, especially when you figure endorsement money will be higher in Toronto and Montreal than it will be in Buffalo or Tampa or Detroit.

It basically comes down to this:

- If Stamkos wants to play for his hometown team, he'll go to Toronto.

- If he wants to play close to home but wants a bit more money and a bit better chance at winning sooner, he'll go to Buffalo.

- If he's willing to go farther away from home and winning is the most important thing, then Tampa and Montreal are better options for him. Tampa probably gives him the nest shot at winning, but if he knows he doesn't want to stay there because he doesn't like the dynamic or the coach, then Montreal tops the list.

As was said, it really all depends on what SS's priorities are. Hard to see a good argument for Vancouver, and who knows if there's another team we don't even know about in the running. All we know for now is that Tampa's window to get him inked to an 8-year deal ends at midnight Thursday night. If he's not signed to Tampa by then, they've lost their main advantage and he's likely going to a new team.

The only way we get Stamkos is if he REALLY likes PK... I'm dreading the Toronto celebration right now... too many good things happening to those ugly people

It would be a hard pill to swallow for sure. I think Buffalo will nab him though... still a bad pill.

Guest Regis2

Geez

The 27-year-old scored 10 goals and added nine assists in 80 games with the New York Islanders last season

Habs can do better than that with one of their AHL call ups

The DLC blog has come back with a very interesting rumour, as according to one of their sources, the duo of Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin reportedly went to Toronto to eat, and that they were accompanied by team owner Geoff Molson. Apparently, it is very possible the trio met with Steven Stamkos and gave a feeler on where he felt on the possibility of signing with the Canadiens when free agency opens on July 1.

In recent days, reports have detailed that the Canadiens are firmly in the race to land the talented forward, and this little meeting under the cover of dark should go a long way towards convincing fans the team is in the hunt.

However, we must not forget that essentially any team that has $10 million or more in cap space will make a run for the player. In other words, it’ll be a massive battle to land the big fish. Perhaps Marc Bergevin pulls the rabbit out his hat and hits a home run!

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2016/06/28/habs-have-secret-meeting-trying-to-lure-top-free-a/

^^ I think there's a lot of smoke about the Habs being very interested in Stamkos, so it's likely true. Big names like Dreger, Lebrun, McKenzie, etc. all suggesting we're in on him. However, those same sources suggest Detroit is the front-runner and that Toronto, Tampa, and Buffalo are all very much in as well. Again, the money will likely be comparable everywhere, so it's up to Bergevin to sell his vision and product. If I'm MB, I'm pointing out

1. No other team has a goalie as good as Carey Price.

2. Very few teams have a D man as good as Stamkos' friend PK Subban, and those that do aren't among the list of likely suitors.

3. Montreal's core is in the same age-range as Stamkos, making this an ideal group to make repeated runs at Cups.

4. Montreal is a much better team than last year's finish. This team could win Cups with Price and Stamkos added to last year's roster.

5. Montreal will spend to the cap to provide Stamkos with the supporting cast he needs. Good ownership, good spending ability, no concerns about budget.

6. Montreal is a hotbed for hockey. Opportunity for extra money from sponsorship revenue is high.

7. Opportunity to be the undisputed #1 center and play with Pacioretty on the first line.

8. No having to sit through a re-build.

^^ I think there's a lot of smoke about the Habs being very interested in Stamkos, so it's likely true. Big names like Dreger, Lebrun, McKenzie, etc. all suggesting we're in on him. However, those same sources suggest Detroit is the front-runner and that Toronto, Tampa, and Buffalo are all very much in as well. Again, the money will likely be comparable everywhere, so it's up to Bergevin to sell his vision and product. If I'm MB, I'm pointing out

1. No other team has a goalie as good as Carey Price.

2. Very few teams have a D man as good as Stamkos' friend PK Subban, and those that do aren't among the list of likely suitors.

3. Montreal's core is in the same age-range as Stamkos, making this an ideal group to make repeated runs at Cups.

4. Montreal is a much better team than last year's finish. This team could win Cups with Price and Stamkos added to last year's roster.

5. Montreal will spend to the cap to provide Stamkos with the supporting cast he needs. Good ownership, good spending ability, no concerns about budget.

6. Montreal is a hotbed for hockey. Opportunity for extra money from sponsorship revenue is high.

7. Opportunity to be the undisputed #1 center and play with Pacioretty on the first line.

8. No having to sit through a re-build.

All positive and very good points... hope he bites.

Yes, the WIngs and Sabres have ample cap space compared to us, but if I look at the Sabres goaltending situation, I cringe. Robin Lehner? Ouch. They only have 4 defencemen signed, and those are Bogosian, Kulikov, Gorges, and Franson. All decent players but no clear #1 guy there. They still have work to do to fix up the back half of that team. Their core forwards are also young, and I'm not sure Eichel and Reinhart and Girgensons and a troubled Evander Kane are going to be leading a team to a Cup in the next 2-3 years. They'll be very good in a couple of years, but is Stamkos going to sit through the end of the re-build first?

In Detroit, Zetterberg and Franzen are getting up there. Their D is also really old. Kronwall is 35. Mike Green is not a top pairing defenceman any more. They only have two defencemen under 30 right now, barring new signings. And their goalie situation is also a mess, featuring overpaid and under-achieving Jimmy Howard and the younger Mrazek, who is still being tandemed rather than earning a pure starting role. There are question marks there and there have to be concerns over whether there's enough left once Zetterberg, Franzen, and Kronwall are gone. Again, they have good young forwards but are they leading a team to a Cup in the near future? I don't look at that roster and see a contender.

Yes, the WIngs and Sabres have ample cap space compared to us, but if I look at the Sabres goaltending situation, I cringe. Robin Lehner? Ouch. They only have 4 defencemen signed, and those are Bogosian, Kulikov, Gorges, and Franson. All decent players but no clear #1 guy there. They still have work to do to fix up the back half of that team. Their core forwards are also young, and I'm not sure Eichel and Reinhart and Girgensons and a troubled Evander Kane are going to be leading a team to a Cup in the next 2-3 years. They'll be very good in a couple of years, but is Stamkos going to sit through the end of the re-build first?

In Detroit, Zetterberg and Franzen are getting up there. Their D is also really old. Kronwall is 35. Mike Green is not a top pairing defenceman any more. They only have two defencemen under 30 right now, barring new signings. And their goalie situation is also a mess, featuring overpaid and under-achieving Jimmy Howard and the younger Mrazek, who is still being tandemed rather than earning a pure starting role. There are question marks there and there have to be concerns over whether there's enough left once Zetterberg, Franzen, and Kronwall are gone. Again, they have good young forwards but are they leading a team to a Cup in the near future? I don't look at that roster and see a contender.

When you put it like that our chances are better than I initially thought. But then there is Therrien to consider... coaching may be an issue.

Weise is a known quantity... I believe he can help the Habs playing in the right situation... then again therein is the problem (Therrien) and like Desharnais, where can he fit in and at which other player's expense? There are better options out there I believe.

This is what I mean. Nothing against Weise but I also agree that there are better options out there.

Archived