The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Dear Mr. Molson

BigTed3

Sometimes you have a message that just needs to go right to the top of the food chain. Need to air a grievance and can't wait until Festivus? Want to pass on some words of encouragement to the man in charge? This is where you write your messages for Geoff Molson himself.

tumblr_nwyljgXUWf1rlkge6o1_500.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

How can ownership continue to charge Habs fans the exorbitant prices they do for tickets and merchandise then allow fan favorite and best player PK Subban to be dealt for an inferior D man?

Imagine this in any other scenario. Imagine you buy a car at the dealership and then before you pick it up, they take out the air conditioning and swap your transmission from automatic to manual, then jack the price up 10% and pretend this was a great deal for you. This is basically what Mr. Molson and Bergevin are selling us today.

Your decision to stick with Bergevin and Therrien over Subban will cement your legacy in Montreal. This regime will be remembered as one of, if not the worst in franchise history. And it'll come out of your pocket, when the Habs are a perpetual bubble team after Price and Pacioretty decide to leave this gong show.

Your GM inherited the league's best goalie, 2nd best defenseman, 3rd best LW/4th best goal scorer, and a free lottery pick in Galchenyuk, and 4 years later has managed to do nothing but sign plugs to obscene deals. Oh, and alienate and then ship out said defenseman to appease a retread coach that was out of a job for 4 years before he came back from being a TV pundit to coach the most storied franchise in hockey.

4 years out and the only good long term addition your GM's made has been Jeff Petry. What a disgrace.

After ranting, calm down.

1) Will ticket sales decrease? No.

2) Will rink attendance fall? No.

3) Will merchandise sales plummet? No.

4) Will Molson beer sales drop off? No.

5) Will there be an impactful boycott to dent franchise profits? No.

Fans have no power to influence management or ownership. All parties know it. Bergevin basically called out the fans at his previous press conference. No repercussions. Because he CAN. So can Therrien and Molson.

Your decision to stick with Bergevin and Therrien over Subban will cement your legacy in Montreal. This regime will be remembered as one of, if not the worst in franchise history. And it'll come out of your pocket, when the Habs are a perpetual bubble team after Price and Pacioretty decide to leave this gong show.

Your GM inherited the league's best goalie, 2nd best defenseman, 3rd best LW/4th best goal scorer, and a free lottery pick in Galchenyuk, and 4 years later has managed to do nothing but sign plugs to obscene deals. Oh, and alienate and then ship out said defenseman to appease a retread coach that was out of a job for 4 years before he came back from being a TV pundit to coach the most storied franchise in hockey.

4 years out and the only good long term addition your GM's made has been Jeff Petry. What a disgrace.

Remember when we said that Bergevin's biggest problem was that he was too afraid to pull the trigger on a big deal but that as fans, we should be concerned when he finally does, because his values are not in the right place. That's exactly what happened. Bergevin has screwed us over big time, and it was entirely predictable. If you read this forum over the past year, you'll see countless mentions of posters worried that Bergevin would do exactly what he did. For Molson to not step in and not see it himself speaks volumes about how bad a job he's done as an owner for the hockey product. He's made money and maybe that's his only goal. But he has no interest in giving fans the best product.

why can;t we get a normal GM and coach?

why can;t we get a normal GM and coach?

When your first criteria for who to hire is ensuring they speak a language that isn't even the language 99% of your job is conducted in, there's your problem. Geoff Molson can't stand up to the French media and separatist politicians and so voila, that's there we are. You want to get a better and more competent management and coaching staff? Then you have to open your candidate pool to more than 1% of the possible applicants.

• 3 weeks later...

An excerpt from Mr. Molson's interview with the Globe & Mail..

-I never give advice to the coach [of the Montreal Canadiens]. I ask a lot of questions and engage in conversation but it’s about finding a place where I’m comfortable with what they’re doing. I would never question the coach or the coach’s decisions. They’re the experts and I need to trust them 100 per cent of the time.

You never want fans to believe that the business is making a decision that overrides the hockey team. In Quebec and in Montreal, there’s nothing more important than a successful hockey team; business shouldn’t get in the way of that. My job as the CEO is to give our general manager everything he needs to be successful and to not slow him down. I need to work with two mindsets. One is that I need to build a strong hockey team with the general manager, and the other is that I need to run a profitable business. The two cannot collide. Even though we’re managing the business, everything starts with having a successful hockey team on the ice.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/career-advice/life-at-work/geoff-molson-you-need-to-be-humble-you-need-to-allow-other-leaders-to-lead/article30938226/?cmpid=rss1

Please give your head a shake Mr. Molson, you have allowed our Habs to sink to its lowest with this current management team. Its time you either clean house or sell!

Owners have to give their GM's the benefit of the doubt.

G Molson knows that MB has a hard job, not only because it's his first stint as a GM, but that it's Montreal.

The fact G Molson gave his "OK" to trade PK, after giving MB 9 mil to sign him last season, speaks of more behind the scenes we weren't as fans, aware of.

But i also believe he has MB on a short leash after the Subban trade. Saying,"ok Marc, you asked me to give him 9 mil/season, then you talk about trading him a year later... I trust your judgement, but it better produce results". Molson is never going to come out and say he was against it, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. To the public, he's going to make it seem he has his GM's back. In reality, if this transaction doesn't produce result and quickly, Molson will be looking for a new GM and coach.

Molson may be newbie as well, but his family has a lot of experience. I'm sure he's consulted older generation Molsons, specifically those who were around during the habs glory years, when the Molsons ran a successful hockey team.

It's my opinion that MB is on thin ice and knows it.

Geoff grew up during the habs cup parades, he wants nothing more than to bring the habs back to glory.

Owners have to give their GM's the benefit of the doubt.

G Molson knows that MB has a hard job, not only because it's his first stint as a GM, but that it's Montreal.

The fact G Molson gave his "OK" to trade PK, after giving MB 9 mil to sign him last season, speaks of more behind the scenes we weren't as fans, aware of.

But i also believe he has MB on a short leash after the Subban trade. Saying,"ok Marc, you asked me to give him 9 mil/season, then you talk about trading him a year later... I trust your judgement, but it better produce results". Molson is never going to come out and say he was against it, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. To the public, he's going to make it seem he has his GM's back. In reality, if this transaction doesn't produce result and quickly, Molson will be looking for a new GM and coach.

Molson may be newbie as well, but his family has a lot of experience. I'm sure he's consulted older generation Molsons, specifically those who were around during the habs glory years, when the Molsons ran a successful hockey team.

It's my opinion that MB is on thin ice and knows it.

Geoff grew up during the habs cup parades, he wants nothing more than to bring the habs back to glory.

Fair enough. I like your optimism and backing it up with some potential scenarios. I just hope that all of it translates to a Cup this coming season. We are so very long overdue!

Fair enough. I like your optimism and backing it up with some potential scenarios. I just hope that all of it translates to a Cup this coming season. We are so very long overdue!

Tell me about it, I'm turning 44 in August. I was a little young when they went on a tear in the late 70's. But remember the 86 and 93 cups. Been waiting since the dark post-Roy era for another cup.

Long over-due.

i thought I'd give MB and even MT the benefit of the doubt. MT after being fired from Pittsburgh, went back to the basics, back to the minor and AHL leagues to climb back up the ladder.

Since before JM, I was hoping Larry Robinson would take over behind the bench. So i was a little disappointed when they didn't show much interest in larry and decided to go with MT.

I think MT was a good short term solution, things were too slack under JM and the team/organization needed structure.

Well, I feel that MT has served his purpose. MB did some good things, mainly getting rid of Eric Cole's contract. He brought in jeff Petry and added Vanek at the trade deadline for peanuts.

Not overly impressed with some of his extensions/signings though, mainly DD and Emelin. There was no need to rush the emelin signing, none whatsoever. Emelin hadn't even recovered from his knee injury and had at least 1/2 a season to evaluate and resign him. But before he even played a game after his knee injury, MB was throwing 4 mil his way. Can't blame Emelin for signing, but we can blame MB for jumping the gun.

The trial period is over, he's no longer considered a rookie or given slack. G Molson has been more than patient with MB and MT, right now, and from this season on, I figure he wants results.

Not overly impressed with some of his extensions/signings though, mainly DD and Emelin. There was no need to rush the emelin signing, none whatsoever. Emelin hadn't even recovered from his knee injury and had at least 1/2 a season to evaluate and resign him. But before he even played a game after his knee injury, MB was throwing 4 mil his way. Can't blame Emelin for signing, but we can blame MB for jumping the gun.

Did they re-sign DD & Emelin for this coming season?

Did they re-sign DD & Emelin for this coming season?

DD, and I'm going by memory here, I believe is in his final season of his present contract. Emelin, memory again, is starting his 2nd season. We at least have DD for this season and Emelin for another 2, I believe.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Dear Mr. Molson.

It's time.

Dear HabsRuleForever,

Try some of this kool-aid. its incredible, seriously. We have a slew of forwards and the legendary narrative of shea weber. You must mean its time....to win a cup baby!

-Geoff

• 1 month later...

I submit the entire foxhole needs to be blown up!!!!  It scares me to death that Bergevin may be left to make another major deal that reshapes this franchise for years to come ....

We have already watched one franchise player leave. Who's next?

Archived