The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Andrew Shaw

HabsRuleForever

At first glance, the 6 year $3.9M AAV contract looks bad. After seeing the breakdown, it makes much more sense.

2016- $5.5M ($2.5M signing bonus)

2017- $5M ($2M signing bonus)

2018- $4M

2019- $3.25M ($1M signing bonus

2020- $2.75M

2021- $2.9M ($1M signing bonus)

The contract is front-loaded with no NTC or NMC so after the first 2 or 3 seasons, this would be an easy contract to move to a team looking to reach the cap floor. He will only be 30 when it expires. This is much better than I was expecting.

At first glance, the 6 year $3.9M AAV contract looks bad. After seeing the breakdown, it makes much more sense.

2016- $5.5M ($2.5M signing bonus)

2017- $5M ($2M signing bonus)

2018- $4M

2019- $3.25M ($1M signing bonus

2020- $2.75M

2021- $2.9M ($1M signing bonus)

The contract is front-loaded with no NTC or NMC so after the first 2 or 3 seasons, this would be an easy contract to move to a team looking to reach the cap floor. He will only be 30 when it expires. This is much better than I was expecting.

Very good! That actually makes a big difference. Its not the term I'm bothered by its the cap hit for what we all seem to agree is really a very good third line player. But many non cap teams would love this contract/player if we need to move him

I don't know why MB doesn't do this more often (front load contracts) To me this is a major benefit for big market teams... its just hurts the profit the owner sees

Guest habs1952

Very good! That actually makes a big difference. Its not the term I'm bothered by its the cap hit for what we all seem to agree is really a very good third line player. But many non cap teams would love this contract/player if we need to move him

I don't know why MB doesn't do this more often (front load contracts) To me this is a major benefit for big market teams... its just hurts the profit the owner sees

Only for a short time.

Archived