Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 198 lbs

Drafted by: Montréal

Draft Year: 2012 Round 1 (3rd Overall)

Archive 2015-16

Stats | Video | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):

WGxCIyC.png

He does seem to need work on the face offs. For a center that's a big thing to start with the puck not be chasing. I think it's going to take time for him because now all the teams are looking to shut him down as the #1 center. He's going to have to work on beating better defense and defensive forwards.

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

He does seem to need work on the face offs. For a center that's a big thing to start with the puck not be chasing. I think it's going to take time for him because now all the teams are looking to shut him down as the #1 center. He's going to have to work on beating better defense and defensive forwards.

For sure. He's going up against the other team's #1 faceoff guy (their shut down centre) in most cases.  

I think he and pacioretty have both looked flat.    If MT is looking to shake things up Id kind of prefer to see them tried with Radulov (who has a lot of energy like Gallagher but also is a bit more creative) - thats not a knock on Gallagher who absolutely is NOT the problem with that line - but I wouldnt mind trying the RPG line for a game or two. Might wake up 2 / 3 of our top line. 

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

For sure. He's going up against the other team's #1 faceoff guy (their shut down centre) in most cases.  

I think he and pacioretty have both looked flat.    If MT is looking to shake things up Id kind of prefer to see them tried with Radulov (who has a lot of energy like Gallagher but also is a bit more creative) - thats not a knock on Gallagher who absolutely is NOT the problem with that line - but I wouldnt mind trying the RPG line for a game or two. Might wake up 2 / 3 of our top line. 

I agree Radulov is strong on the puck while also being creative he probably would be a good fit. I think Gallager with Pleks and Lekohnen would work also.

4 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Yet to fire on all cylinders.  Maybe he needs more time to warm up, or the pressure of No.1 centre is getting to him.  Hope the goals start flowing soon.

Definitely off of the performance he gave us at the end of last season, and he's still skating back to his own zone like he's a winger instead of a center. However, he's continued to show flashes of skill and he's got 3 points through 3 games. I'm frankly not all that concerned about Alex, and I have a lot of faith that he will get it going.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Definitely off of the performance he gave us at the end of last season, and he's still skating back to his own zone like he's a winger instead of a center. However, he's continued to show flashes of skill and he's got 3 points through 3 games. I'm frankly not all that concerned about Alex, and I have a lot of faith that he will get it going.

Agreed. Bolded point especially.

I also dont feel as worried as I did last year  - i think he's convinced MT that he's our best centre so he *should* stay on that top line. 

1 hour ago, PuckPundit said:

Congrats for finally breaking his scoring duck :6280:.  Is it just me that somehow I feel he's more 'compatible' (i.e. natural fit) playing with Radulov than Pacioretty?

Patches can play with anybody really but I tend to agree, Galchenyuk and Radulov could potentially be lethal when playing on the same line.

13 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Don't get me wrong he is playing ok but if he can't win the faceoffs they are probably spending half of the shift chasing the puck not driving the play.

On the team level, there's no correlation between face-off percentage possession, goal/shot rates, or point percentage. I haven't seen anything about individual centre face-off percentage and possession or rates, but I'm not inclined to believe it really matters that much. If you win a face-off in the neutral zone and just dump the puck in, you're losing possession no matter what. If you lose the face-off and force a turnover and carry the puck into the offensive zone successfully, who cares if you won it or not?

I'm not saying he doesn't need to get better, I'm just saying it's something of a red herring.

^^ Face-off percentage as a whole has never been shown to correlate to shot attempts or goals, but it's still nice to win the key draws. I think the basic premise is that a skilled player will overcome a bad face-off winning percentage, but I still like the idea of winning possession, so long as your team is well-coached enough to know what to do with it. The fact the Galchenyuk line is a strong possession line tells us they're good despite not starting with possession on some shifts, but yes, it's absolutely a skill he needs to work on.

19 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ Face-off percentage as a whole has never been shown to correlate to shot attempts or goals, but it's still nice to win the key draws. I think the basic premise is that a skilled player will overcome a bad face-off winning percentage, but I still like the idea of winning possession, so long as your team is well-coached enough to know what to do with it. The fact the Galchenyuk line is a strong possession line tells us they're good despite not starting with possession on some shifts, but yes, it's absolutely a skill he needs to work on.

Definitely agree. He needs to work on it, but there have been some elite players who were/are really bad in the F/O circle.  Malkin, for example is something like 40% career.  Eric Stahl is only marginally better i think.   Other guys who i know were/are below 45% (over their careers) are Yashin, Doan, Elias and Sturm. Ribiero has always been pretty brutal there too, although Im not suggesting he's a guy id ever want on my team.

Ultimately it would be nice to have Galchenyuk at 60% - or at least closer to 50% but at the end of the day Id still rather have Malkin and his 40% career over Perrault & his career 60% on my team. 

Maybe the coaching staff should look at his wingers & see if they can take some faceoffs - at least the really important ones.

Archived