The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2016-17

habs_93

3 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Whatever team he gets traded too we should all instantly put money on them since they're going to win the cup.

Like PK? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

found this on twitter about Alex

Let's see

Therrien

Julien

Bergevin

USA Hockey

Under 23s at WC

I guarantee you. This isn't about me ( alex G )

If that's true he thinks there's some sort of conspiracy instead of him having to work hard and improve area of his game , then he definitely has entitlement issues. A good season in juniors gets you a high draft pick and gives you an opportunity. The rest is up to you and the best players are usually the hardest working players also. I hope it's not true and he's not sulking and thinking he's being picked on. He needs to spend the summer with Gallager!

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

If that's true he thinks there's some sort of conspiracy instead of him having to work hard and improve area of his game , then he definitely has entitlement issues. A good season in juniors gets you a high draft pick and gives you an opportunity. The rest is up to you and the best players are usually the hardest working players also. I hope it's not true and he's not sulking and thinking he's being picked on. He needs to spend the summer with Gallager!

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that "if" he had better coaches in Hamilton/Montreal, then he would have been settled into a topline player 2 years ago.

SL and MT screwed up whatever talent he has. This "defense" first mantra has got to go. We all saw it in the POs, with 11 goals in 6 games, a Habs record low for scoring in a 6 game series.You can line up all 6 players across the net, but that won't win you games. Back in the day we had another player/winger who was most certainly a defensive liability, but he sure could score goals.

11 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that "if" he had better coaches in Hamilton/Montreal, then he would have been settled into a topline player 2 years ago.

SL and MT screwed up whatever talent he has. This "defense" first mantra has got to go. We all saw it in the POs, with 11 goals in 6 games, a Habs record low for scoring in a 6 game series.You can line up all 6 players across the net, but that won't win you games. Back in the day we had another player/winger who was most certainly a defensive liability, but he sure could score goals.

FWIW Galchenyuk never played a game in the minors so while I do like blaming SL for things, this one he is faultless in.

However, i do agree with everything else you've said.

Our biggest problem though, is that we have such horrible centre depth.   AG  has performed like a 1st line centre, offensively, for a couple of years now.  Defensively he still has things he needs to improve but it makes it difficult for the coaches to play him in that #1 role.  He needs somewhat sheltered minutes but he needs big minutes.   Had we had an even moderately capable #1C  i think Galchenyuk would have already blossomed into the player I fear he will become in a different uniform.

My only hope is that MB realizes now what a mistake it was trading away PK for an older, ultimately inferior player in Weber and wont make the same mistake again. 

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Maybe we can entice Lafleur out of retirement. 

1 hour ago, Habberwacky said:

And then there was Drouin. The plot thickens a little. Do we go after a top defenceman with Galchenyuk to replace Sergachev? Lets male a deal has apparently started a new season.

I think that Marc Bergevin is making a statement that "now is the time to win" by trading away really our #1 prospect. 

So if we assume that is the case, there are some interesting options available to us.  Beaulieu looks like he is on the block.  Juulsen and some of our picks are probably available.  Maybe big Mac.   

Im not saying we will - or should - trade any or all of these, but if the idea is to win NOW we have to at least toy with the idea of mortgaging our future.  We go all in, we move cheap prospects or picks to teams, like TB who need to get out from a problem (with the ED or the Cap etc). 

I personally hope that when the dust clears Galchenyuk is still a hab (the one exception would be if we could trade for an elite talent like Tavares). I really really really hope we dont do something foolish like Galchenyuk for Duchene or something. 

According to David Pagnotta:

"Contract talks between the Montreal Canadiens and Alex Galchenyuk are ongoing. If the Canadiens receive an offer with view as worthwhile, they’ll listen, but they also want to re-sign him."

So if we believe that, then the one thing we must hope for is that MB values AG as much as he should.  If he does then the only way he gets traded is if a deal comes along that is too good to be true (ie an upgrade like Tavares).  If a deal is presented that consists of a couple of players (ie their quantity for our quality) then MB should, and hopefully will, balk.

Unfortunately talent analysis and asset management are 2 areas that our management seems to have difficulty with.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

According to David Pagnotta:

"Contract talks between the Montreal Canadiens and Alex Galchenyuk are ongoing. If the Canadiens receive an offer with view as worthwhile, they’ll listen, but they also want to re-sign him."

So if we believe that, then the one thing we must hope for is that MB values AG as much as he should.  If he does then the only way he gets traded is if a deal comes along that is too good to be true (ie an upgrade like Tavares).  If a deal is presented that consists of a couple of players (ie their quantity for our quality) then MB should, and hopefully will, balk.

Unfortunately talent analysis and asset management are 2 areas that our management seems to have difficulty with.

Agreed. This development doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence that we'll do the right thing for the team.  I thought signing Hudon to a 2 year deal was a sign that he was going to be protected. They quickly shot that theory down. We'll soon see if they actually had a plan.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Agreed. This development doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence that we'll do the right thing for the team.  I thought signing Hudon to a 2 year deal was a sign that he was going to be protected. They quickly shot that theory down. We'll soon see if they actually had a plan.

Thing is, we were weak up front last year & now we acquired JD so, assuming we can resign radulov, we look a little better.  But if we then turn around & trade galchenyuk... well this would put us back to square one. 

My real concern is that MB now thinks we're better up front so he will swap Galchenyuk for a much older defensman.  There's been talk of Minnesota pushing hard for AG.  If they are offering Brodin + Granlund Id happily listen but my big fear is that Marc Bergevin said to himself "what I really need to get the most out of Shea Weber is to put a mobile, big minute defensman next to him... like back when he played with Suter... hey wait a minute....calls minnesota"

If we turn around & trade yet another young star player for an over the hill defensman this year I'll be really really mad. 

I'd trade him for multiple pieces: Good D, Good C and good prospect at D or C. 2 of the 3 players have to at least be young enough that they could surprise and be as good as chucky, and 2 of the 3 have to have a high enough floor that we know they are at least top 4/top 6

My preference is to keep him and just try to have drouin and chucky at C if at least one pans out... we at least have a lot of offense 

As for LD... well there are moves to be made with vegas. If we're in win now mode, I'd rather keep chucky and offer 2 1sts (including this years) for a D they will pick up and to make them take Plekanec. I know that sounds pricey but if we're trying to win now, then lets go for it and worry about the rebuild later. Now is the time! Maybe even try to get a young C that way too!