The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2016-17

habs_93

• 1 month later...

Third line minutes the last two games ???. Way to look after you best offensive player coach. The new DD is the new D.  Cannot wait for DD to return, i see Galchenyk back on the wing with DD at center and D still pivot on the first line. Every time it looks like Therrien may be turning the corner it is only a dream, the nightmare continues. Nobody is even close to Galchenyk offensive production since he moved to center out of necessity last season.  

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:22 AM, caperns61 said:

Third line minutes the last two games ???. Way to look after you best offensive player coach. The new DD is the new D.  Cannot wait for DD to return, i see Galchenyk back on the wing with DD at center and D still pivot on the first line. Every time it looks like Therrien may be turning the corner it is only a dream, the nightmare continues. Nobody is even close to Galchenyk offensive production since he moved to center out of necessity last season.  

Production wise a lot of his comes from the pp which he is still getting. I believe the intent was to get him back up to speed (conditioning) he was out a while and has looked a little slower than normal and his timing has looked a little off. With more games being played and the all star break coming he should get back into the first line role. It does some come down to pk's also as he doesn't kill penalties. He also needs to improve his face offs and defensive end of the game. If this ends up long term I say this is an issue as for now not really.

I get that some of the reason to insist Galchenyuk be the #1 center has to do with perceived ice-time and putting your most skilled players together as a first line. That said, I am not against letting Galchenyuk excel as a player otherwise... either as center of a 1-A line or even left/right-winger. I personally believe that both Pacioretty and Galchenyuk are inter-changeable at left wing on ether a #1 or #1-A line. The possible problem, the way I see it, is the quality of players making up the rest of each line. Do the Habs have equivalents at other positions for each line to achieve that #1/#1-A line-up? The depth-chart seems to indicate that right-wing may be where less capable equivalence is possible and that center is at least questionable.

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I get that some of the reason to insist Galchenyuk be the #1 center has to do with perceived ice-time and putting your most skilled players together as a first line. That said, I am not against letting Galchenyuk excel as a player otherwise... either as center of a 1-A line or even left/right-winger. I personally believe that both Pacioretty and Galchenyuk are inter-changeable at left wing on ether a #1 or #1-A line. The possible problem, the way I see it, is the quality of players making up the rest of each line. Do the Habs have equivalents at other positions for each line to achieve that #1/#1-A line-up? The depth-chart seems to indicate that right-wing may be where less capable equivalence is possible and that center is at least questionable.

I don't believe in putting all your eggs in one basket where your opponent only needs to focus on one line. Each of your top 3 lines needs to be, to some degree, a threat to score although yes, your first line should be your best line.

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Production wise a lot of his comes from the pp which he is still getting.

galchenyuk_pp.png

His power play time since his return has been inflated by that one game. The rest of the time, he's basically given as much power play time as Paul Byron, which isn't a good thing.

From Therrien:

- Therrien said it wasn’t a serious injury this time and that Galchenyuk was listed as day-to-day. 

- Galchenyuk will not play Tuesday night when the Calgary Flames visit the Bell Centre 

- Therrien said Galchenyuk suffered the injury during Saturday’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Buffalo Sabres, 

- Therrien said there was no concern that Galchenyuk had returned too early from the original knee injury.

- “It was back-to-back games for the first time since his injury,” Therrien added. “It’s a bit more tougher I’ll say the back-to-backs and he got hurt during that game (Saturday)."

Sounds totally rosy. No need to worry.  They wouldnt lie to us, right???

22 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Of course not,,,,they've been nothing but up front and honest with us from the get-go. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

From Therrien:

- Therrien said it wasn’t a serious injury this time and that Galchenyuk was listed as day-to-day. 

- Galchenyuk will not play Tuesday night when the Calgary Flames visit the Bell Centre 

- Therrien said Galchenyuk suffered the injury during Saturday’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Buffalo Sabres, 

- Therrien said there was no concern that Galchenyuk had returned too early from the original knee injury.

- “It was back-to-back games for the first time since his injury,” Therrien added. “It’s a bit more tougher I’ll say the back-to-backs and he got hurt during that game (Saturday)."

Looking forward to the next briefing in 2 weeks. 

53 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Shaw and DD on his wings. He may want to take some more time off. Lol.

Thankfully Muller is keeping him on the first unit PP most likely. 

If Galchenyuk skates like he did the last time he returned we'll know he's come back too soon. I don't understand what the rush is to get him back in the lineup. I'd rather he take another week or two off rather than possibly lose him for an extended period of time. It's not as if we're desperate.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mckenzie-i-d-play-the-hell-out-of-galchenyuk-1.666901

McKenzie: I'd play the heck out of Galchenyuk

What does the rest of the NHL think of when it comes to the Canadiens? Are the Habs making a mistake with Alex Galchenyuk because he isn't the best two-way player and have other teams used young offensive players in a similar way?

16 hours ago, Regis22 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mckenzie-i-d-play-the-hell-out-of-galchenyuk-1.666901

McKenzie: I'd play the heck out of Galchenyuk

What does the rest of the NHL think of when it comes to the Canadiens? Are the Habs making a mistake with Alex Galchenyuk because he isn't the best two-way player and have other teams used young offensive players in a similar way?

Early in his career Jullien (who a lot now want, and is defense first) kept Seguin on the wing and sheltered his minutes because of his defensive game. I do agree though he needs to play more. Give him o-zone starts and a lot of time early in games. If you're protecting a lead late then it's understood because he at this time isn't good defensively and he definitely needs to improve in the face off circle. A note also McKenzie is also one of the ones that was very vocal that the habs did the right thing with the Subban trade at the time.

Archived