The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2016-17

habs_93

On 2/9/2017 at 1:11 PM, CaptWelly said:

Early in his career Jullien (who a lot now want, and is defense first) kept Seguin on the wing and sheltered his minutes because of his defensive game.

It's reasonable thing to keep Seguin on the wing when he's 19 and your top 6 centers are Bergeron (who was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best C in the world at the time), and prime Krejci. It's another thing to put Galchenyuk on the wing and give him reduced minutes when he's 22, scores nearly PPG as a #1C, and your other top 9 centers are Danault, Desharnais, and a rapidly declining Plekanec.

Honestly this whole thing really does feel like a brewing Seguin situation where he gets traded away and the team looks really dumb for doing it. 

I've noticed Galchenyuk seems to be overly focused lately. He looks a little down, which is ironic given the big message from CJ so far is "Doing the right things on the ice, but having fun while doing it".

Has anyone else noticed this? I've always watched Galchenyuk quite closely, his body language is usually extremely loose. Loves to joke around on the bench, always smiling and enjoying the game. Since bye week, he's seemed quite closed off almost like he's trying to pull off the Shea Weber - "game face". As much as I want him to succeed in that #1 C role, I'm hoping it's not stressing him out to the point where he's off his game worrying about a trade. 

1 minute ago, FanFromAB said:

The rumour I've been seeing is Galchenyuk for Duchene. This is not concrete in anyway but I found it to be a bit facinating. Who would pull the trigger on this deal? 

That was on XM radio today and they actually were saying Montreal would have to add to the deal. I still think Alex has a lot of talent and potential. I would like Duchene but I don't want to give up on Chucky either.

Just now, CaptWelly said:

That was on XM radio today and they actually were saying Montreal would have to add to the deal. I still think Alex has a lot of talent and potential. I would like Duchene but I don't want to give up on Chucky either.

Ugh.  I can't listen to those guys anymore. I used to love it but it's too much with Steve Kouleas. Anyway, I digress, I'm with you, we have not seen the ceiling with Galchenyuk and I would want a 3rd to come along with Duchene. Perhaps I'm overvaluing our talent a bit. 

1 minute ago, FanFromAB said:

Ugh.  I can't listen to those guys anymore. I used to love it but it's too much with Steve Kouleas. Anyway, I digress, I'm with you, we have not seen the ceiling with Galchenyuk and I would want a 3rd to come along with Duchene. Perhaps I'm overvaluing our talent a bit. 

I'm not a Kouleas fan either but they have several segments and I do like their shows because it's nice to get a take on the team from outside of "Montreal" bias. It was actually Mackenzie I believe that had referenced to it I believe. I'd actually like to see Duchene center Alex and someone else. Take the pressure off and he would still be playing with top talent. Alex, Duchene, Rad would be a great line or pp unit!

If we move Chuck to get Duchene we will regret it even more than Subban for Weber imho. It makes zero sense and would set us back, not forward.

There are several pIayers I wouldnt want to lose (Gallagher, Beau etc) that I probably would part with for Duchene but to acquire him while giving up Galchenyuk, Pacioretty or Radulov makes zero sense. We need MORE top end players, not simply different ones. 

It depends on which Galchenyuk we trade. If it is the one who caught fire before getting hurt this year I would say forget it, but if it is the lost soul we have seen in the past and since returning from injury I would jump at the move. Would the real Galchenyuk please stand up. I think we still need too be patient with him, but Duchene may not be available for long. This is definitely a tough trade and I too would want another body coming our way before agreeing to this trade.

Galchenyuk for Duchene makes zero sense for us. It doesn't fill a void, it's just a lateral move. And while Duchene might be the more consistent player now, he's also several years older. I suspect Galchenyuk will end up with a contract in the same range as Duchen's current salary next year, so the money is probably negligible, but Duchene is 2 years removed from being a UFA, whereas we could lock Galchenyuk up for 7-8 years if we so choose. Galchenyuk probably hasn't hit his peak yet and already he was flashing with being a top 5-10 scorer in the league. Duchene is getting to the end of his peak performance years and will still be good for another 5 years or so, but this move would be a lot like trading Subban for Weber: it just tightens up your window unnecessarily.

Do I want Duchene here? Yes. Not that I want to, but I would actually give up Radulov to make it happen if that's what it took, if only because that does the opposite of trading Galchenyuk in that it makes the team younger and stretches out the window. That said, there's no point in Colorado acquiring Radulov so it's a non-issue. I think it's the right call to not give up Sergachev to make the deal happen if you really believe he's going to be a top-pairing D man long-term. But I think MB absolutely has to consider trading Juulsen or McCarron or Scherbak or Hudon or so on if it allows us to grab a player like Duchene.

5 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I'm not a Kouleas fan either but they have several segments and I do like their shows because it's nice to get a take on the team from outside of "Montreal" bias. It was actually Mackenzie I believe that had referenced to it I believe. I'd actually like to see Duchene center Alex and someone else. Take the pressure off and he would still be playing with top talent. Alex, Duchene, Rad would be a great line or pp unit!

Fair enough, I live in the west so I get enough commenatory from outside of Montreal. I'm not saying I never listen but I do like it a lot less these days. 

If MB could get Duchene without trading any of our top 6 right now then I'd be over the moon but the reality of it is that Sakic, at this time of year, will get top return for him. 

I don't think now is the time to shake this team up again. Acquire a guy that we can insert noow to make us better sure but a lateral move just for the sake of making a move is ill advised imo. 

I would like to see Galchenyuk get some more time back on the top line. Danault has been a bright spot but I would rather have 27 on our top line. 

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Looks to be slowly coming out of his funk.

I cant help but think there's more to it than we're being told.  I mean ok, Therrien played Danault over Chuck, I get it, Mt wasnt the greatest judge of talent.  But now Julien? Why?   Unless our coaching staff think that Danault has the ability to become Patrice Bergeron V2.0  it just makes no sense.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I cant help but think there's more to it than we're being told.  I mean ok, Therrien played Danault over Chuck, I get it, Mt wasnt the greatest judge of talent.  But now Julien? Why?   Unless our coaching staff think that Danault has the ability to become Patrice Bergeron V2.0  it just makes no sense.  

I think sometimes it's a matter of splitting up the talent and trying to get your second line wingers scoring. 

I think it's called 'not putting all your eggs in one basket'.

15 minutes ago, FanFromAB said:

I think sometimes it's a matter of splitting up the talent and trying to get your second line wingers scoring. 

13 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I think it's called 'not putting all your eggs in one basket'.

I get that but you can make a strong argument that Galchenyuk is the most talented forward we have.  Giving him 2nd line minutes is not they way to spread the wealth.  Radulov and Patches are the only two consistent scoring threats we have - one would think if you were to 'spread the wealth' you would give Galchenyuk at least one of them two work with. 

I get that but you can make a strong argument that Galchenyuk is the most talented forward we have.  Giving him 2nd line minutes is not they way to spread the wealth.  Radulov and Patches are the only two consistent scoring threats we have - one would think if you were to 'spread the wealth' you would give Galchenyuk at least one of them two work with. 

Yeah I agree with you, I wasn't saying that it's the right thing to do, I was trying to make sense of the decision and this is all I could think of. 

31 minutes ago, FanFromAB said:

Yeah I agree with you, I wasn't saying that it's the right thing to do, I was trying to make sense of the decision and this is all I could think of. 

Honestly i only have 2 thoughts:

1) Galchenyuk isnt 100% or in some way makes Julien think he shouldnt play him on the top line until something is fixed (his confidence etc) i dunno.  Doenst make sense.

2) Julien thinks Danault has the potential to be an elite two way centre - like Bergeron, BrindAmour etc.   I find this hard to imagine but who knows. At the end of last season it seemed unfathomable he'd be a regular in our top 9 and now he looks like he could easily be a #3, maybe a #2 down the road. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

But then you leave one of Rad or Patches 'alone'. I still don't think Galchenyuk is 100%. He doesn't seem to be making the moves he was previous to the injury but he is much improved since when he returned.

Archived