@BGALLY17

Position: Right Wing

Shoots: Right

Birthplace: Edmonton, AB, CAN

Birth date: 6 May 1992

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 182 lbs

Drafted by: Montréal

Draft Year: 2010 Round 5 (147th Overall)

Archive 2015-16

Stats | Video | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):1x9xs11.png

• 2 months later...

This slump he's in has really dragged on. He looks like a shell of the old Gally from last year. The chances were there earlier,,, which gave us hope he would break out soon,,,  but seemed to have dried up now. I don't see the same hustle as usual and he's easily knocked off the puck of late. He was a fixture in front of the net giving goalies nightmares,,, but you don't see much of that anymore. Every game you saw opposing players beating on him constantly in an effort to control his energy. Now you might see that once every game or two. Something is up, is he playing hurt??

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Definitely looks like he's gripping the stick a lot tighter than usual. I think he's the type of guy who expects himself to be a contributor every night and who has trouble not helping his team, especially after last year when he was having his best season ever pre-injury.

Yes and it's a shame too. He's one of those only character players that make you excited to watch this team,,, as you alluded to in state of the Habs

On 12/18/2016 at 10:22 AM, H_T_L said:

This slump he's in has really dragged on. He looks like a shell of the old Gally from last year. The chances were there earlier,,, which gave us hope he would break out soon,,,  but seemed to have dried up now. I don't see the same hustle as usual and he's easily knocked off the puck of late. He was a fixture in front of the net giving goalies nightmares,,, but you don't see much of that anymore. Every game you saw opposing players beating on him constantly in an effort to control his energy. Now you might see that once every game or two. Something is up, is he playing hurt??

He definitely hasn't been what we've become accustomed to... losing top right-wing status hasn't helped I think. The physical beatings may be adding up and are harder to deal with so often... it couldn't go on forever without some impact on his game. His value is taking a hit no doubt.

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

He definitely hasn't been what we've become accustomed to... losing top right-wing status hasn't helped I think. The physical beatings may be adding up and are harder to deal with so often... it couldn't go on forever without some impact on his game. His value is taking a hit no doubt.

IMO, he seems lost without Max and Chuckie. 

I think annihilating his fingers like that was the nail in the coffin. He doesn't have the hands to finish difficult, in close plays anymore, at least that's what I'm seeing. 

Aside from that, he never had great wheels to get himself space, or a great shot to be a threat from range. 

I think right now, if we are honest with ourselves, we have to admit this is a very undersized player with a limited ability to contribute. If I'm GM, he's trade bait 100%. knowing the foxhole team, he's not going anywhere due to character, but I think this is what we are looking at right now

Guys we're talking about 30 games. You don't trade 24 year old first line RWs (no matter whether you believe it or not, he demonstrably is a 1st line RW by any measure) signed for 5 years at 3.75M because they "only" have 17 points in 33 games. I can not believe what I'm reading here. Trading Gallagher away during a slump is one of the most self destructive things the Habs could do.

Dude is criminally underrated and I have no idea why. There's this perception of him as a low skill net front guy but he's so much more than that. He's an elite level shot producer, possession monster, and above average defensive player and I don't believe for a second he suddenly forgot how to finish in his 4th NHL season at age 24. 

I think Gallagher will be fine, just as I thought Pacioretty would end up getting his goals despite his slump... Gallagher's a good player. He'll get back to where he needs to me. To me, this looks more like a confidence issue than anything else. Once he starts scoring again, he'll get his groove back and he'll stop gripping the stick as tight as he has been. It'll come. The worst thing you can do is trade a guy when his stock is low.

All his underlying numbers are exactly the same or slightly better than his past 3 seasons. He's getting 3 mins less a game but all the rates per 60 minutes are the same or better. Only difference is he's shooting at 5% instead of 9-11%. I don't buy for a second that will last. 

If he was 33 then maybe I'd consider that he was starting to decline but we're talking about a 24 year old who hasn't seen any decline in underlying numbers. Trading a guy this good at driving possession at 3.75M would be a mistake even if he only shoots 5% the rest of his career. 

I was glad to see him getting PP minutes that alone well eventually help his production. He is still working hard , does seem to be getting knocked down a little more this year. If he keeps playing hard as he will it'll come around. He's not playing with the top line or getting top line minutes or pp time so that all makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived