The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

#47 Alexander Radulov 2016-17

habs_93

21 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

I know it's only been three games but I think that having him on the team changes the entire complexity of our top 6. We finally have two dangerous scoring lines, which gives us plenty of options. Rads is a legitimate scoring threat with size, skill and he's driving the net. Strong along the boards, high energy level, great puck skills. If he keeps this up, I truly hope MB manages to sign him long-term. I actually think he likes it in Montreal, there are several other Russians on the team plus he's always said he enjoyed the time he spent in the QMJHL.

You would have to think that unless he's looking for a really long term or something, we should be able to resign him. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

MARC BERGEVIN PLEASE OFFER THIS GUY A MULTIYEAR DEAL... NOW. 

Unlikely.  BargainBin is going to lowball him as usual.  Assuming he rebuilds his reputation with the Habs this season,  he'll probably cash in as a UFA with another team after his contract expires. 

2 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Unlikely.  BargainBin is going to lowball him as usual.  Assuming he rebuilds his reputation with the Habs this season,  he'll probably cash in as a UFA with another team after his contract expires. 

Where's the 'as usual' coming from? He lowballed P.K. and now we know why, they simply didn't like his game/personality.

He gave 6 million to Pleks, 5.5 million to Petry, 5.75 million to Markov, Shaw earns close to 4 million and Radulov gets 5.75 million this year. They also overpaid for Desharnais and Emelin.

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I think I would offer him 3 years at a fair price. in the off season we are going to have to make some changes anyways.

Term is the big question mark in my mind. If he only needs 2 - 3 years (it is possible its all he wants & then he will retire to Russia) then we should have as good a chance as anyone - better, actually since we gave him a shot when most wouldnt, plus his Quebec connection.

if he wants 7 years or something, id have to decline.  Id be willing to take the risk on a few years but not a full-length contract at the sort of money/cap hit hes going to command. 

47 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Term is the big question mark in my mind. If he only needs 2 - 3 years (it is possible its all he wants & then he will retire to Russia) then we should have as good a chance as anyone - better, actually since we gave him a shot when most wouldnt, plus his Quebec connection.

if he wants 7 years or something, id have to decline.  Id be willing to take the risk on a few years but not a full-length contract at the sort of money/cap hit hes going to command. 

I think a decent number of teams actually approached Radulov, so not sure no one else was interested. And obviously, I think interest will go up if he continues to play the way he has. Some speculated after we signed him that if he played well, he could command 7-8M a season on his next deal, and the rumors before he signed were that his ask was for 7.5M for two years. He settled for what we offered him, and he seemingly thinks the chance here was a good idea. I think we'll have an inside edge on signing him, but I think our offer will have to be competitive or he'll jump. My feeling, perhaps like you, is that he's not going to be asking for a 7-year deal. I think he'll settle for 3-4 years, but he'll want a reasonable payout.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I think a decent number of teams actually approached Radulov, so not sure no one else was interested. And obviously, I think interest will go up if he continues to play the way he has. Some speculated after we signed him that if he played well, he could command 7-8M a season on his next deal, and the rumors before he signed were that his ask was for 7.5M for two years. He settled for what we offered him, and he seemingly thinks the chance here was a good idea. I think we'll have an inside edge on signing him, but I think our offer will have to be competitive or he'll jump. My feeling, perhaps like you, is that he's not going to be asking for a 7-year deal. I think he'll settle for 3-4 years, but he'll want a reasonable payout.

Agreed. And id be fine with that payout... of course it would mean MB would have to start paying 3rd and 4th liners like 3rd and 4th liners but... :P

i agree the thing is if he can keep playing at this level we can't afford to let a guy like him just leave if we want to be serious about a cup run. he kind of has it all, the team and teamates like him the fans love him he fits a niche that needed filling very badly with the skills to do the job and he has some fire, the best part is he is already here and i think he may be a good influence on Chucky you have to pay guy's like that so if some low level guy's need to go they just have to go.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

i agree the thing is if he can keep playing at this level we can't afford to let a guy like him just leave if we want to be serious about a cup run. he kind of has it all, the team and teamates like him the fans love him he fits a niche that needed filling very badly with the skills to do the job and he has some fire, the best part is he is already here and i think he may be a good influence on Chucky you have to pay guy's like that so if some low level guy's need to go they just have to go.

Which is exactly why MB needs to stop giving long-term contracts to players like Prust, Moen, Desharnais, Byron, Mitchell, Shaw, and so on. These guys are replaceable, and you can't afford to lock term and money into your bottom 6. You want to lock up players like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacman, Radulov, Beaulieu, and Petry and build around skill, but leave yourself flexibility to turn over your bottom 6 to save money. That's basically what the Hawks and Pens have done to win Cups: their stars are locked up and they trust their farm system and free agency to fill out the line-up with affordable talent.

14 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

I had some serious doubts about Raddy ... but from the games I've seen he shows some serious compete level

TSN told a story about Rad. Some kids were playing ball hockey in the street and Rad came out with his stick. There was Rad and a kid on one side and 5 kids on the other. According to one kid, he didn't let them touch the ball and scored "like a 100 goals". 

1 hour ago, kinot-1 said:

TSN told a story about Rad. Some kids were playing ball hockey in the street and Rad came out with his stick. There was Rad and a kid on one side and 5 kids on the other. According to one kid, he didn't let them touch the ball and scored "like a 100 goals". 

nice! sounds like a PK moment. same kind of emotion with these two guys it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived