@jpbyron89

Position: Left Wing

Shoots: Left

Birthplace: Ottawa, ON, CAN

Birth date: 27 April 1989

Height: 5' 8"

Weight: 158 lbs

Drafted by: Buffalo

Draft Year: 2007 Round 6 (179th Overall)

Archive 2015-16

Stats | Video | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):MZPIRJD.png

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Byron got ripped off BIG time on the disallowed goal in the 2nd period against Detroit. The whistle wasn't blown, only his stick was in in the crease. Fair goal. This game should have been 6-0 fair & square.

Agreed... but this is the NHL

The way Byron is using his speed he will have plenty more chances. He is putting a lot of pressure on other teams and creating opportunities for the big guns. I think the coaches have done an excellent job mixing it up and believe Dannault will be seeing some new line mates just as soon as the others cool off. It is hard for them to break up what is one of the best scoring lines in the league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, Habs=stanleycup said:

Okok. It's actually Yvan Cournoyer. I'm sure you all get the gist of who I meant though! :freu1:

Yes we did. He was one of my all time favourites. Byron does remind me of him somewhat. When he learns to switch hands on his stick, turning his backhand into his forehand, and scores a goal, then the cycle will be complete. One of the most memorable goals i'll ever see.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Yes we did. He was one of my all time favourites. Byron does remind me of him somewhat. When he learns to switch hands on his stick, turning his backhand into his forehand, and scores a goal, then the cycle will be complete. One of the most memorable goals i'll ever see.

Absolutely. We need that kind of skill and speed to wake us up. A hero with heart & soul just like the old roadrunner.

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

solid solid play this year! what a steal this guy was! he is small but he sure plays flat out.

Agreed. I had my doubts about him, but he's proven me wrong. We all knew he had great speed but I didn't think he would finish off so many of his chances. A lot of talk comparing him to Weise in terms of the high shooting percentage and whether he can re-produce his tallies. Last year, his even strength production wasn't that great but this year he's seizing the opportunity. The difference between he and Weise is that Byron creates a lot more scoring opportunities for himself whereas Weise seemed to rely on linemates to set him up on passes or rebounds. I like Byron's odds of sustaining himself as a 12-15 goal man for a couple of years. In reality, I do not see him as a top 6 player, but he can be an extremely useful bottom 6 player, just like Danault and Mitchell.

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed. I had my doubts about him, but he's proven me wrong. We all knew he had great speed but I didn't think he would finish off so many of his chances. A lot of talk comparing him to Weise in terms of the high shooting percentage and whether he can re-produce his tallies. Last year, his even strength production wasn't that great but this year he's seizing the opportunity. The difference between he and Weise is that Byron creates a lot more scoring opportunities for himself whereas Weise seemed to rely on linemates to set him up on passes or rebounds. I like Byron's odds of sustaining himself as a 12-15 goal man for a couple of years. In reality, I do not see him as a top 6 player, but he can be an extremely useful bottom 6 player, just like Danault and Mitchell.

Yeah, a very pleasant surprise. I saw him quite a bit with the flames and was actually really surprised they let him go on waivers because he was always really good for injecting speed and on the PK.  I did not expect him to have such good hands though.

The best comparision for me would be "Jan Bulis with hands" - he's got the speed and positioning of Bulis, being able to find open spots and get into the right position but unlike poor Jan,  Paul can actually finish when given a chance. 

Once again our scouting team did great with an under the radar pickup. If only we were as good at scouting top 6 forwards as we are at scouting bottom 6!! 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, a very pleasant surprise. I saw him quite a bit with the flames and was actually really surprised they let him go on waivers because he was always really good for injecting speed and on the PK.  I did not expect him to have such good hands though.

The best comparision for me would be "Jan Bulis with hands" - he's got the speed and positioning of Bulis, being able to find open spots and get into the right position but unlike poor Jan,  Paul can actually finish when given a chance. 

Once again our scouting team did great with an under the radar pickup. If only we were as good at scouting top 6 forwards as we are at scouting bottom 6!! 

The problem with scouting top 6 forwards is that everyone tends to know when they do well. You see a guy put up 30 goals, everyone's going to want him. You see a top 5 overall draft pick playing first line and putting up 60-70 points and everyone knows about his pedigree. So it's harder to steal a guy like that. What's important with respect to top 6 guys is not finding them but figuring out how to trade for them or sign them in the right way. Who is likely to rise, who is likely to decline? That's where advanced stats come in handy, for predicting which guys are having success due to luck and circumstances and which guys are actually driving possession and scoring chances on their own. Byron was a great steal for a bottom 6 player, and the bottom 6 is very good this year. But as you noted, more work needs to be done for the top 6. Either MB has to be willing to make a trade or he's got to find coaches in Montreal and the AHL ready to give young guys the chance to succeed. It's somewhat funny that of all the prospects we've had in the past 3-4 years, the ones who have managed to make the jump into the top 6 were Galchenyuk (no AHL), Gallagher (brief AHL stint), and Lehkonen (SEL with no AHL). The guys who have spent time in the AHL are either stagnating or failing under Lefebvre (Leblanc, Avstin, Thomas, Scherbak, Ghetto, etc.) or else they're not being given a chance to mature to the NHL in top 6 positions (Hudon, McCarron)... instead, we insist on giving ice time to the likes of Terry and Mike Brown and Lessio and so on, who really aren't going to help us long-term. It's become necessary for MB to fill out the roster with pick-ups like Byron and Danault and Mitchell because of how poor we've been at developing our top-end prospects.

• 2 months later...

Archived