The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#14 Tomáš Plekanec 2016-17

habs_93

there's rumblings about him being a healthy scratch

Its just a bad bad situation.   The thing is - and you all know i was a huge eller fan & suggested trading pleks over eller in the past - we really find outselves in a bad situation and would even with Eller here.  Pleks has regressed offensively, badly.  Eller isnt doing any better in Washington (3 points in 18 games).   We need a 45-50 point two way centre - which i dont think either of those guys are at this point.  Having Eller would be nice because he costs less, but really Bergevin needs to be finding some sort of a solution for the massive drop off between Galchenyuk and everyone else.  We have a #1 and #3 and #4 centre. We no longer have a #2 guy and that is hurting us and our whole second line right now. 

Could McCarron or Hudon (when healthy) fill on?  Not sure but MB needs to be looking long and hard right now. 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

there's rumblings about him being a healthy scratch

Its just a bad bad situation.   The thing is - and you all know i was a huge eller fan & suggested trading pleks over eller in the past - we really find outselves in a bad situation and would even with Eller here.  Pleks has regressed offensively, badly.  Eller isnt doing any better in Washington (3 points in 18 games).   We need a 45-50 point two way centre - which i dont think either of those guys are at this point.  Having Eller would be nice because he costs less, but really Bergevin needs to be finding some sort of a solution for the massive drop off between Galchenyuk and everyone else.  We have a #1 and #3 and #4 centre. We no longer have a #2 guy and that is hurting us and our whole second line right now. 

Could McCarron or Hudon (when healthy) fill on?  Not sure but MB needs to be looking long and hard right now. 

very well said, correct on all fronts.

it should have been dd gone, bought out, waivers, minors, anything. eller on the 3rd.

plek...oh boy is this bad. i wanted him traded instead of extended, but i still didnt think it would be this bad.  if we could get anything....e.g RNH straight up.....while there is some perceived value.....I think we better do it asap. I dont think this is a blip, he has steadily been looking less and less effective for the past couple of years now, he isnt going to bounce back from this , this is just it for him.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Counting goals ahead of assists, Plekanec is now 13th on the team in scoring. Among players with at least 20GP, only Beaulieu and Emelin have worse scoring numbers than Plekanec.

its truly over with this guy. would you do it for RNH straight up? salaries are the same.  chuck-nuge-danault 123. i think i would

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Counting goals ahead of assists, Plekanec is now 13th on the team in scoring. Among players with at least 20GP, only Beaulieu and Emelin have worse scoring numbers than Plekanec.

11 hours ago, jeff33 said:

its truly over with this guy. would you do it for RNH straight up? salaries are the same.  chuck-nuge-danault 123. i think i would

It is rather uncharacteristic I must admit... but it has seemed in recent years that Tomas has played with several different line-mates and not always the top echelon of the team (make-up players that change often compared to others IMO). And he does draw some of the hardest assignments in a defensive role. That said, I do expect more from him at times. It almost seems as though he doesn't feel as much a part of the elite anymore.

12 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Absolutely i would but i dont think Edmonton would.  Maybe Plekanec-Emelin for RNH (Which I would also do).  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
20 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Plekanec has basically become Scott Gomez. Sharp drop-off in offensive ability and production. Still decent defensively, still a smart player, but just nothing to show for it on the offensive end despite his big contract.

This analogy is pretty much bang on the money actually. 

15 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Habs need to eat some of his salary and trade him. We can't afford the cap hit of 6 mil next year for what he's bringing this year and what he'll bring next year.  

Best bet might be if Las Vegas needs a player to get them to the cap floor through the expansion draft. Rumor is that they will want a couple of guys that can beef up their cap to hit floor but whose contracts are expiring so that they aren't locked into them long-term. Plekanec could fit that description. However, it means that we need to really tie up all other loose ends in the draft to make no one else desirable...

Archived