The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#35 Al Montoya 2016-17

habs_93

Quite an interesting signing.

In many ways I think Condon has more potential but you cant overlook Montoya's pedigree & the fact he was once considered a "sure thing" (6th overall for a goalie!)

He has amazingly good puck handling skills but never has been able to shake the 'bad goal' syndrome where he'll stop a barrage of shots for half a period & then let in a stinker. I wonder what a little time with Waite will do for him.

Is going to be interesting to see who backs up Price to start (and finish) the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite an interesting signing.

In many ways I think Condon has more potential but you cant overlook Montoya's pedigree & the fact he was once considered a "sure thing" (6th overall for a goalie!)

He has amazingly good puck handling skills but never has been able to shake the 'bad goal' syndrome where he'll stop a barrage of shots for half a period & then let in a stinker. I wonder what a little time with Waite will do for him.

Is going to be interesting to see who backs up Price to start (and finish) the season.

Agreed.

Let's just say, knock on wood-knock on wood, Price goes down again. At least we have an experience tender, instead of 2 rookies with no or little experience.

He can serve as starter or even a mentor to Condon or the other kid we grabbed at the end of last season. Whoever we go with, Montoya can either serve as back up to them, that is if our usual starter is injured. Condon may have had a bit better of a season with an experienced back up helping him.

Poor condon, no one can really blame him for the season. MB goes and brings in a tender that couldn't even crack the oilers roster. I'd have been happier with Riemer, at least he had played recently in the NHL and could've given condon points and tendencies of certain shooter.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote from Wilde's article 'Glass half full':

• Al Montoya has a .942 save percentage in his first two games. That's a Carey Price-type number. He's the biggest reason the Habs have three of four points. You can also feel his calmness when he speaks and when he tends the goal. He has that veteran presence. The players are confident they have a guy back there who can get it done. Huge difference to the score line and the psyche of everyone.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/call-of-the-wilde-habs-glass-half-full-in-loss-to-sens-1.3117320

6 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Best backup we have had in a long time! looks really solid in net. we are so much farther ahead with a backup of this quality on the team.

Still a small sample size for sure but I like what im seeing.  Even though his 'style' is a lot different from Carey's the team plays quite similarly in front of him, which is good. A lot of the time in the last few years we've seen the team play a different style depending upon who was backing Carey up.  

Alex Auld (for that very short stint) was probably the last time we saw the team play the same regardless of who was behind them.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Give the guy a couple of home games.

He got a couple early on when Price had that flu. The issue with giving him home games is that the fans buy those big money tickets to see their #1 guy and have their best shot at a win. I know I would be upset going to a Hab's game and not see him in net.. Not good business to upset the paying public.

22 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He got a couple early on when Price had that flu. The issue with giving him home games is that the fans buy those big money tickets to see their #1 guy and have their best shot at a win. I know I would be upset going to a Hab's game and not see him in net.. Not good business to upset the paying public.

Yes I can understand your point, however it's too bad that it comes down to that, which further backs the notion that we may be a one-man team.

19 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

,,,Yes I can understand your point, however it's too bad that it comes down to that, which further backs the notion that we may be a one-man team.

I don't think that's an exclusive situation. I'm sure other teams with a clear #1 have that same policy. Hockey tickets aren't cheap in fanatical hockey cities,,, and most pay to see the best. If you don't cater to your home fans you'll suffer the consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived