The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2016-17

habs_93

How can you have a manager that obviously forced our weak choice of a coach to play King.   Never seen a player in my 25 years of coaching hockey not worthy of dressing.  Felt sorry for Flynn, Mitchell and McCarron.  Almost felt like minor hockey and someone's dad was on the bench. Fire Bergeron. Trade pacoreitty and make Weber captain.  Sign Radulov and Kolvachuk

Radulov. Galchenyk. Kolvachuk

Byron   ( Pacioretty trade ) Gallagher

Lekunen        Plekanec   Shaw

Ott    Danault   McCarron

Weber     Markov

Petry       Emelin

Benn        Davidson

trade  beaulieu for tough grinding winger 

One that is over 200 pounds and is willing to hit and can actually skate   

I like our speed but we are still on the small side and despite putting some big bodies in the line-up we were still pushed around quite a bit. Looking forward we will  face some challenges with the teams in our division that are improving. Buffalo, Toronto, and Florida all seem to be improving with good young cores and the other teams from our division should not see a significant drop off. 

7 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I like our speed but we are still on the small side and despite putting some big bodies in the line-up we were still pushed around quite a bit. Looking forward we will  face some challenges with the teams in our division that are improving. Buffalo, Toronto, and Florida all seem to be improving with good young cores and the other teams from our division should not see a significant drop off. 

Honestly I have no idea how this narrative still seems to persist, the only genuinely small players on the roster are Gallagher and Byron and they're pretty obviously not the problem.

You're right, the Habs are going to get dummied by the Leafs for the next 8 years but it won't be because the Habs are too small.

1 minute ago, Noob616 said:

Honestly I have no idea how this narrative still seems to persist, the only genuinely small players on the roster are Gallagher and Byron and they're pretty obviously not the problem.

You're right, the Habs are going to get dummied by the Leafs for the next 8 years but it won't be because the Habs are too small.

The narrative came from watching the Rangers push us all over the ice and win most of  the turnover battles. Perhaps soft works better or playing small. we did not finish checks at times and it cost us big time. I think our defence is fine but many of our forwards were out muscled. I do not include Gallagher, Radulov, Shaw or Lehkonen in this evaluation but after that I wasn't impressed with the others. Our fourth line had some chances at times but I would have liked to see them be more physcal given their size. I don't expect to see Ott or King in a Hab Jersey next year and would be surprised to see Martenson make the club next year.

Look on the bright side, folks. How many strike outs can a GM continuously have?

Even if he doesn't get fired this time, he's on very thin ice. He has one last chance like Therrien had.

What are the odds of him turning things around this time next season?  :6396:. Be patient. 

I honestly dont see either Molson or the BOG having the guts to fire Bergevin, but if Im wrong, and they do - i sure hope whoever comes in, keeps Julien.   

I didnt agree with everything he did in the last few months but he's clearly one of the best coaches in the league and it would suck to lose him just to "clear house."

Like i said though, i would be shocked if MB isnt still our GM come october. I think the ownership group will give him at least one more year. 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

I honestly dont see either Molson or the BOG having the guts to fire Bergevin, but if Im wrong, and they do - i sure hope whoever comes in, keeps Julien.   

I didnt agree with everything he did in the last few months but he's clearly one of the best coaches in the league and it would suck to lose him just to "clear house."

Like i said though, i would be shocked if MB isnt still our GM come october. I think the ownership group will give him at least one more year. 

It would also be a bit of a rough spot for a new GM to be in.  It's hard to think about after getting bounced by the Rangers in the first round, but in all honestly we're on the down-slope as a team right now.  We traded away our younger guys for guys who could "win now" and we didn't, leaving us stuck in a bit of a rut.  Any new GM that comes in now has his work cut out for him (and is likely going to see his team get worse over the next few seasons no matter what he does), and I wonder if that wouldn't limit the lineup of available GM talent that would apply for the position?

2 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

It would also be a bit of a rough spot for a new GM to be in.  It's hard to think about after getting bounced by the Rangers in the first round, but in all honestly we're on the down-slope as a team right now.  We traded away our younger guys for guys who could "win now" and we didn't, leaving us stuck in a bit of a rut.  Any new GM that comes in now has his work cut out for him (and is likely going to see his team get worse over the next few seasons no matter what he does), and I wonder if that wouldn't limit the lineup of available GM talent that would apply for the position?

I actually dont think it would.

I mean logically you are right & your points are totally valid but I think a lot of people just see the opportunity & believe they can do better.   The other thing is: we may have made some obvious mistakes on the ice (Weber vs Subban, Shaw vs Eller etc) but that doesnt mean that we're left holding a bag of magic beans. We have very tradable commodities, regardless of what some of us may think of those players.    Weber's value is probably higher right now than when we traded for him and Shaw is roughly the same.  Guys like Pacioretty or Beau I think are pretty much where they were last year.   A good GM, if he chose to move any of them, could get value.  

The real problem is Price.  He's the premiere player at his position & while its entirely possible he pulls a Brodeur and plays strong for 10+ more years, I think that realistically we have to look at his window as closing.   So, are we able to right this ship in a year or two? Or do we do the unthinkable & trade Price & get the foundation of this team set up right for the first time since the early 90s.   

Not sure what I would do but im glad its not my decision. 

One of the biggest jokes from Bergevin's presser today was when he told reporters that it "is hard to draft good players when you're picking in the 20's or later." So add that to the list of things Bergevin finds hard about his job. It's apparently hard to trade for top-tier players and also very difficult to draft them. So how exactly are other GM's building competitive rosters if there are no quality players available? Bergevin seems to have forgotten that guys like Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Markov, Weber, Lehkonen, and so on were all drafted in position 20 or later. Under MB, the team has done very poorly at developing draft picks through the system. Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, and McCarron are picks of his currently on the NHL roster but the first two never went through the AHL system and the last isn't really getting to play very much in the NHL. Lehkonen, to boot, forced his way onto the NHL roster by virtue of his contract that didn't allow us to send him to the AHL. But outside of that, MB has seen Sylvain Lefebvre and his farm team do an awful awful job of graduating players for the bigs. If we're talking about overhauling the organization, MB should go, but it's also imperative to fire Lacroix, Daigneault, and Lefebvre too.

I expect to see at least three and possibly four of our ice=dogs on the roster. If there aren't I am not sure where he intends to find some talents. One of the biggest disappointments for me this year was the illness that hit Reway. I was looking forward to him getting a chance to show what he has. Not quite sure if he will ever get to play again.

Interesting that MB said yesterday they were also open to the idea of offer sheets. I doubt it'll happen because it never does but it's fun to toy around with the idea. Let's offer sheet Granlund and Niederreiter from Minnesota or Kuznetsov and Orlov from Washington and see how they respond. Draisaitl, Droiun and Pastrnak would also look good here :D

Just about what I expected in his presser... not much positive or a determined approach at addressing the future.

Interesting that Geoff Molson was not there to support both he and Julien... what should we read into that? Did Geoff not want to address the fans votes against Bergevin remaining GM? I truly hope Molson and his upper crust were seriously doing their own assessment of Bergevin's body of work and listening to Fans' assessments.

More to come...???

8 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Just about what I expected in his presser... not much positive or a determined approach at addressing the future.

Interesting that Geoff Molson was not there to support both he and Julien... what should we read into that? Did Geoff not want to address the fans votes against Bergevin remaining GM? I truly hope Molson and his upper crust were seriously doing their own assessment of Bergevin's body of work and listening to Fans' assessments.

More to come...???

What... no bites on this???

8 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

More to come...???

Is he (Molson) normally there?  I always thought the year end presser was just MB or sometimes MB and the coach.  

I think last year was a bit of an anomaly since it was just so obvious to absolutely everybody that the coach should have been fired.  They were going hard against the grain by keeping him, so I think they probably wanted to show that the support was there at all levels.

This year, yeah, I'm sure that Bergevin's job wasn't exactly rock-solid but it's not a given that he should be let go.  To be honest, if they were going to have fired him I suspect they would have done it before holding the presser so that he wouldn't have to go through all the grilling for nothing.  Molson and the BOG could have easily (and may have) asked similar questions in private to determine whether or not they liked Bergevin's answers.

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

I think last year was a bit of an anomaly since it was just so obvious to absolutely everybody that the coach should have been fired.  They were going hard against the grain by keeping him, so I think they probably wanted to show that the support was there at all levels.

This year, yeah, I'm sure that Bergevin's job wasn't exactly rock-solid but it's not a given that he should be let go.  To be honest, if they were going to have fired him I suspect they would have done it before holding the presser so that he wouldn't have to go through all the grilling for nothing.  Molson and the BOG could have easily (and may have) asked similar questions in private to determine whether or not they liked Bergevin's answers.

Possibly. But the fact of the matter is that I tend to believe they are very aware that the fans, to a large degree, seem to be calling for Bergevin's firing. This is something that would require Molson to at least show support for his GM... don't you think? I think a decision has not been made as yet.

11 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Possibly. But the fact of the matter is that I tend to believe they are very aware that the fans, to a large degree, seem to be calling for Bergevin's firing. This is something that would require Molson to at least show support for his GM... don't you think? I think a decision has not been made as yet.

I think Manatee is right with regard to Molson - whom i dont think would make that decision on his own - however, I think the BOG may well decide differently. Im not sure how often they meet but i suspect a saturday elimination and monday press conference was not enough time to come to a decision even if they were/are considering it. If they do decide to get rid of MB I would fully expect it in the next couple of weeks. I do not believe they would go into the expansion draft,  free agency and NHL draft without a new GM. 

If i had to bet money, Id say its 65/35 that MB stays vs getting fired.   I think he should be relieved, he's had his 5 years & as I said in another thread, its not like we came very close - we are arguably further away, and certainly no where near as close as we should have been after a 5 year plan - but Im not positive that the BOG will make that big of a move.   

We shall see.  

^^ I If GM had been there, I would have seen it as a vote of confidence for MB. The fact he wasn't there, to me, doesn't mean he doesn't support MB though. I think that GM probably hasn't yet made up his mind about whether he will do anything or not and likely just didn't want to have to answer the question in public at this time. I don't think Bergevin holding the presser guarantees his job is safe. If the organization hasn't reached a decision, they aren't going to not hold their usual end-of-season presser and make everyone suspicious. It'll be business as usual until time that a decision is confirmed.

That said, you would think if a change is going to be made, that it will happen prior to having to submit a protected list for the ED. No sense in having MB expose and lose a guy like Beaulieu, Benn, Byron, Shaw, Emelin, Plekanec, Hudon, etc and then have his successor walk in wishing they had taken a different route.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ I If GM had been there, I would have seen it as a vote of confidence for MB. The fact he wasn't there, to me, doesn't mean he doesn't support MB though. I think that GM probably hasn't yet made up his mind about whether he will do anything or not and likely just didn't want to have to answer the question in public at this time. I don't think Bergevin holding the presser guarantees his job is safe. If the organization hasn't reached a decision, they aren't going to not hold their usual end-of-season presser and make everyone suspicious. It'll be business as usual until time that a decision is confirmed.

That said, you would think if a change is going to be made, that it will happen prior to having to submit a protected list for the ED. No sense in having MB expose and lose a guy like Beaulieu, Benn, Byron, Shaw, Emelin, Plekanec, Hudon, etc and then have his successor walk in wishing they had taken a different route.

This... exactly where I was going with this. If we can think this way I'm certain the BOG and Molson can too. But then again I heard recently that Bergevin had been offered a 5 year extention that is yet to kick in... I wonder if it was conditional in any way?

43 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Every great play PK makes, every key point he gets and every playoff round he advances, has to feel like a stabbing pain to MB. You reap what you sow.

everything that comes out of his mouth convinces me further and further that his grasp on reality is flimsy at best. in other words he probably thinks he made a great deal and hes a genius, and when we win the cup next year everyone will see.