The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2016-17

habs_93

I have been mulling over what to think of our current Gm since the trade deadline and I can't understand what he is thinking. I think the thing that I find the most disturbing is the fact that he said we would build through the draft and yet we seem to throw away young talent that does not develop at an alarming rate! it can't be that all the players were a bust so it is either bad drafting or bad development. in my opinion it is the development and that is on the GM, he is the one in charge he has to get competent people in place to develop these kids! we will never get anywhere if our draft selections amount to nothing all the time! once we have good players ready to go they do not play them out of some fear that we will lose too much and miss the playoffs I guess. I think the fans of the team would have no issue with a few losses if it is in the interest of developing young talent for the future, there is no way anyone would have been too upset to replace King with McCarron! or someone else for Hudon. I just don't understand the plan I guess? I kind of understand getting Ott but King? where are Carr Hudon and McCarron? how will they ever get anywhere if we don't play them? to me after the third game it was obvious we were going to need more goals why did we not at least try to add offence? Carr has proven he can play in the nhl at least I feel he has McCarron is about twice as fast as King and that is saying something! and Hudon is an offensive threat we could have used, imagine if he had had some regular season time and was ready to go for the playoffs.... at this point I think the Gm has lost his way. too bad he looked like he may have been a good one in the beginning.

7 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I have been mulling over what to think of our current Gm since the trade deadline and I can't understand what he is thinking. I think the thing that I find the most disturbing is the fact that he said we would build through the draft and yet we seem to throw away young talent that does not develop at an alarming rate! it can't be that all the players were a bust so it is either bad drafting or bad development. in my opinion it is the development and that is on the GM, he is the one in charge he has to get competent people in place to develop these kids!

100% on the money, IMO. It's possible that our prospects' ceilings were overestimated, but that doesn't explain why they've been allowed to languish in a failed AHL system season after season. It's a clear top-down problem. Past a certain point, overly conservative player development to avoid "taking risks" becomes taking a risk itself. We're well past that threshold now.

8 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

we will never get anywhere if our draft selections amount to nothing all the time! once we have good players ready to go they do not play them out of some fear that we will lose too much and miss the playoffs I guess. I think the fans of the team would have no issue with a few losses if it is in the interest of developing young talent for the future, there is no way anyone would have been too upset to replace King with McCarron! or someone else for Hudon. I just don't understand the plan I guess? I kind of understand getting Ott but King? where are Carr Hudon and McCarron? how will they ever get anywhere if we don't play them? to me after the third game it was obvious we were going to need more goals why did we not at least try to add offence? Carr has proven he can play in the nhl at least I feel he has McCarron is about twice as fast as King and that is saying something! and Hudon is an offensive threat we could have used, imagine if he had had some regular season time and was ready to go for the playoffs.... at this point I think the Gm has lost his way. too bad he looked like he may have been a good one in the beginning.

I don't know about you, but I'd be perfectly fine with 2-3 seasons in the wild if I had confidence the organization was doing it in a reasoned and intentional manner which was designed to turn the team into a true contender in the next 4-5-6 year period following it.

That's the big question, though: how can the organization prove to us that it's serious about this? What would it take for you to believe it? Personally, I'd be with you and need to see Bergevin gone. But it'd have to be more than that. Replacing Bergevin with another "stability first" guy whose charge is apparently just to sell 2-3 first round playoff games a year isn't going to cut it.

And I wouldn't feel too bad about not understanding the plan; I'm not sure there really is one, at this point.

16 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I have been mulling over what to think of our current Gm since the trade deadline and I can't understand what he is thinking. I think the thing that I find the most disturbing is the fact that he said we would build through the draft and yet we seem to throw away young talent that does not develop at an alarming rate! it can't be that all the players were a bust so it is either bad drafting or bad development. in my opinion it is the development and that is on the GM, he is the one in charge he has to get competent people in place to develop these kids! we will never get anywhere if our draft selections amount to nothing all the time! once we have good players ready to go they do not play them out of some fear that we will lose too much and miss the playoffs I guess. I think the fans of the team would have no issue with a few losses if it is in the interest of developing young talent for the future, there is no way anyone would have been too upset to replace King with McCarron! or someone else for Hudon. I just don't understand the plan I guess? I kind of understand getting Ott but King? where are Carr Hudon and McCarron? how will they ever get anywhere if we don't play them? to me after the third game it was obvious we were going to need more goals why did we not at least try to add offence? Carr has proven he can play in the nhl at least I feel he has McCarron is about twice as fast as King and that is saying something! and Hudon is an offensive threat we could have used, imagine if he had had some regular season time and was ready to go for the playoffs.... at this point I think the Gm has lost his way. too bad he looked like he may have been a good one in the beginning.

And that's the kicker IMO. He's imposed self restrictions in his hiring policies regarding the main team. Why has he imposed the same restrictions on the farm team? It just boggles the mind to think he would hire someone with little to no qualifications to run a developmental team when there are so many qualified personnel out there. It certainly can't be budget restraints.

48 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

And that's the kicker IMO. He's imposed self restrictions in his hiring policies regarding the main team. Why has he imposed the same restrictions on the farm team? It just boggles the mind to think he would hire someone with little to no qualifications to run a developmental team when there are so many qualified personnel out there. It certainly can't be budget restraints.

He does what he does because apparently, there are no consequences to being a loser with no plan. Where is the erstwhile owner Molson these days? Has he gone into hiding? The only hope of having a coherent plan was to fire Bergevin and move forward with a new management team with a strategy clearly articulated from the top. That has not happened and instead now we find ourselves in this weird limbo where we have the so-called GM shrugging his shoulders at the year end presser complaining how hard it is to be a GM and essentially blaming the players. Molson was no where to be seen .... in other words ...... you guys are on your own!!!

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:10 PM, H_T_L said:

Every great play PK makes, every key point he gets and every playoff round he advances, has to feel like a stabbing pain to MB. You reap what you sow.

Can the same question be applied to Washington since he traded Eller to them? 

1 minute ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Can the same question be applied to Washington since he traded Eller to them? 

Yup. The Caps are probably the strongest team in the league down the middle since they stole Larry. 

^^

It's funny that MB claims to want to build through the draft but then won't give prospects a chance. Guys in the AHL with skill get buried behind career minor leaguers with no talent. And the ones who do have success get left in the AHL or get called up but then don't play more than a few minutes a game on checking lines. If you find it so hard to trade for talent, you have to be willing to play guys with skill who are developing successfully. How can a GM complain he can't get talented players then watch Hudon score 35 goals in the AHL and decide that the likes of King, Farnham, and Martinsen are preferred options? It's ludicrous.

As for former players, not only are there Subban and Eller, PAP is also with the Preds and Kassian is with the Oilers. Those are two other guys MB deemed not worthy enough of being in the NHL. There are tons of Bergevin errors in judgment competing for a Cup this year.

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^

It's funny that MB claims to want to build through the draft but then won't give prospects a chance. Guys in the AHL with skill get buried behind career minor leaguers with no talent. And the ones who do have success get left in the AHL or get called up but then don't play more than a few minutes a game on checking lines. If you find it so hard to trade for talent, you have to be willing to play guys with skill who are developing successfully. How can a GM complain he can't get talented players then watch Hudon score 35 goals in the AHL and decide that the likes of King, Farnham, and Martinsen are preferred options? It's ludicrous.

As for former players, not only are there Subban and Eller, PAP is also with the Preds and Kassian is with the Oilers. Those are two other guys MB deemed not worthy enough of being in the NHL. There are tons of Bergevin errors in judgment competing for a Cup this year.

Totally.   The last 12-16 months of MB's tenure have been a complete contradiction of the first 3 or 4 years of his "5 year plan."

He's a complete Jeckyl and Hyde.  He can see the value of overlooked guys like Danault, Byron, Benn or even Ott - but then completely messes up by trading away better players (like Subban and Eller).  He pulls off masterful moves like the Vanek Trade, or signing Radulov - and then makes absolutely boneheaded trades like Martensen for Andrighetto.   He can see the quality in guys like Muller and Julien - but seems completely oblivious to the horribly inadequate staff we have down in the minors. 

Im just totally baffled by MB right now.  

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Totally.   The last 12-16 months of MB's tenure have been a complete contradiction of the first 3 or 4 years of his "5 year plan."

He's a complete Jeckyl and Hyde.  He can see the value of overlooked guys like Danault, Byron, Benn or even Ott - but then completely messes up by trading away better players (like Subban and Eller).  He pulls off masterful moves like the Vanek Trade, or signing Radulov - and then makes absolutely boneheaded trades like Martensen for Andrighetto.   He can see the quality in guys like Muller and Julien - but seems completely oblivious to the horribly inadequate staff we have down in the minors. 

Im just totally baffled by MB right now.  

Just wait until we see his protected list, the amature draft, the summer trades, and the UFAs, and RFAs, he doesn't go after. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finalists for GM of the Year award were announced today (even though it's a dumb award, since a GM's worth is based on cumulative years of work, not just one year's pickings), and they were Chiarelli, Dorion, and Poile. Interesting that AS VOTED BY OTHER GM's, they thought that the guy who's major move this year was to trade Weber for Subban deserves to be nominated for GM of the year... almost seems like they as a group think he won that trade. I noticed Marc Bergevin was not nominated despite his acquisitions of all that grit and character.

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Finalists for GM of the Year award were announced today (even though it's a dumb award, since a GM's worth is based on cumulative years of work, not just one year's pickings), and they were Chiarelli, Dorion, and Poile. Interesting that AS VOTED BY OTHER GM's, they thought that the guy who's major move this year was to trade Weber for Subban deserves to be nominated for GM of the year... almost seems like they as a group think he won that trade. I noticed Marc Bergevin was not nominated despite his acquisitions of all that grit and character.

well they obviously didnt notice how bad we hated to lose when we lost all those games this year and went out in the 1st round. 

6 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

" And the finalist's for GM of the year are Dorion, Chiarelli and from Nashville, Marc Bergevin"

Not quite, but any way you look at it, this is a major slap in the face to Bergevin from his colleagues. Poile's work this season is judged mainly on his acquisition of Subban, Bergevin's by his trade for Weber. Those were both guys' signature moves. And GM's have basically said to Poile, we commend you on this outstanding trade. They haven't said the same to Bergevin. But this is pretty much the league voting on the early win going to Nashville, and based on the players' ages, it's not likely going to get any better for us going forward.

To recap:

- According to Larry Robinson, MB never called him back when he expressed interest in our vacant coaching job 5 years ago.

- According to Elliotte Friedman, Mike Babcock was more interested in coming here than Toronto and MB refused to even consider firing Therrien to replace him with Babcock.

- According to reports in the French media a couple of years ago, MB also refused to interview Guy Boucher and claimed he wasn't the right coach for Montreal either. Now Boucher is poised to lead his team to a lead in the ECF.

I'm happy we got Julien in the end. He's a huge upgrade on MT, but the fact MB recycled Therrien in the first place, the fact he hung onto him for so long and extended his contract when he didn't have to, the fact he's clinging on to the miserable job Sylvain Lefebvre has done in the AHL, and the fact MB has shown such terrible judgment in who he's refused to consider for his coaching vacancies is yet another black mark on this Bergevin regime.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

To recap:

- According to Larry Robinson, MB never called him back when he expressed interest in our vacant coaching job 5 years ago.

- According to Elliotte Friedman, Mike Babcock was more interested in coming here than Toronto and MB refused to even consider firing Therrien to replace him with Babcock.

- According to reports in the French media a couple of years ago, MB also refused to interview Guy Boucher and claimed he wasn't the right coach for Montreal either. Now Boucher is poised to lead his team to a lead in the ECF.

I'm happy we got Julien in the end. He's a huge upgrade on MT, but the fact MB recycled Therrien in the first place, the fact he hung onto him for so long and extended his contract when he didn't have to, the fact he's clinging on to the miserable job Sylvain Lefebvre has done in the AHL, and the fact MB has shown such terrible judgment in who he's refused to consider for his coaching vacancies is yet another black mark on this Bergevin regime.

So as long as MB is here, we'll constantly be getting do-overs and incompetence.

One of the other by-products of Molson activating his cloak of invisibility and leaving Bergevin in charge of the sinking ship is that agents will see this becoming a backwater franchise and will not allow their clients to sign with the team. Money remains important but most high end stars want to win primarily and how can you claim that Montreal wants to win with the circus going on in their front office (or perhaps best described as NOT going on).?

TSN is reporting that SL wants to move on, but has been offered an extension. TSN also is reporting "on good information" (their words), that the entire coaching staff have been offered extensions. 

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN is reporting that SL wants to move on, but has been offered an extension. TSN also is reporting "on good information" (their words), that the entire coaching staff have been offered extensions. 

This is good . This builds continuity .

4 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Coaching staff in Mtl or St. John's? Either way, it's a bad move. Our AHL staff has had no positive impact. If you think the goal of the minors is to develop young players, well they simply aren't graduating anyone important to our NHL roster. And if you think it's to build a winning culture, they aren't doing that either.

I’ve finally figured out MB’s plan, and it can be summed up in two words, and it’s brilliant.

“My stamp on the team will be the youth that will make it. (Brendan) Gallagher, (Alex) Galchenyuk and (Michael) Bournval are here. (Jarred) Tinordi, (Nathan) Beaulieu and other good young players are developing in Hamilton. They will be here one day.”

ONE DAY. That’s MB’s plan.

Things will be OK one day. One day, the team will win the Cup again. Could be 75 years from now, but it will happen, and it will have his stamp on it.

One day.

-Rightnyder, HI/O comments section

3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

I’ve finally figured out MB’s plan, and it can be summed up in two words, and it’s brilliant.

“My stamp on the team will be the youth that will make it. (Brendan) Gallagher, (Alex) Galchenyuk and (Michael) Bournval are here. (Jarred) Tinordi, (Nathan) Beaulieu and other good young players are developing in Hamilton. They will be here one day.”

ONE DAY. That’s MB’s plan.

Things will be OK one day. One day, the team will win the Cup again. Could be 75 years from now, but it will happen, and it will have his stamp on it.

One day.

-Rightnyder, HI/O comments section

By the time we win the Cup again MB`s stamp will be a forgotten nightmare IMO.

Well it looks like the PK for Weber trade orchestrated by the foxhole buddies BERGEVIN and TERRIBLE finally put the team into the Cup final. The only small problem is that the team is the Predators. I hope David Poile has the manners to send a big thank you card to Bergevin if he wins the Stanley Cup and certainly general manager of the year.

Yeah ... this is the guy who will lead us back to the Cup? Has Geoff Molson been spotted lately or should we start putting his face on milk cartons?