The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Special Teams - PP + PK

kinot-1

Noooooo, not PAP or PK Subban. This is about our penalty killing and power play.

Last year our PK was in 12th position at 81.9%, while the Ducks (1st) PK was at 87.2%. Our PP was 25th at 16.2% while the Ducks PP was 1st at 23.1%). They say that if you combine the 2, you "should" get 100% or more.The Ducks had a combined % of 110.3%.

Last season, our combined PP and PK, was 98.1%.

Everyone from fans, to teams, to heck, the whole world knew how our PP worked (no need to go into details). Plain and simple,,,,,,, it sucked. Our PK "could" be better too.

As long as MT doesn't mess with our top line of Patches, Gally-A, and Gallagher,,, plus Weber and Markov, on the first wave, and on the 2nd wave,,,, Rad, Pleks (?), and ? (Shaw?) ,Beau, Petry on the 2nd wave, we just might up our PP%. This is barring any of our "rookies" making the team.

If I see the same thing happening as last year on our PP,,,,,, I am going to puke. Ya,,,,,,,, Weber has a deadly, and accurate shot,,, but if that's what is going to happen,,, then it's the same old, same old. We "have" to have more movement from the wingers and creativity on the PP.

JM2C

Noooooo, not PAP or PK Subban. This is about our penalty killing and power play.

Last year our PK was in 12th position at 81.9%, while the Ducks (1st) PK was at 87.2%. Our PP was 25th at 16.2% while the Ducks PP was 1st at 23.1%). They say that if you combine the 2, you "should" get 100% or more.The Ducks had a combined % of 110.3%.

Last season, our combined PP and PK, was 98.1%.

Everyone from fans, to teams, to heck, the whole world knew how our PP worked (no need to go into details). Plain and simple,,,,,,, it sucked. Our PK "could" be better too.

As long as MT doesn't mess with our top line of Patches, Gally-A, and Gallagher,,, plus Weber and Markov, on the first wave, and on the 2nd wave,,,, Rad, Pleks (?), and ? (Shaw?) ,Beau, Petry on the 2nd wave, we just might up our PP%. This is barring any of our "rookies" making the team.

If I see the same thing happening as last year on our PP,,,,,, I am going to puke. Ya,,,,,,,, Weber has a deadly, and accurate shot,,, but if that's what is going to happen,,, then it's the same old, same old. We "have" to have more movement from the wingers and creativity on the PP.

JM2C

I'm totally opposed to creativity. I'm told the universe was created and no one can tell me exactly how. I go for imagination instead. :P

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to see Plecky take a break from the number one line on the PP as we seem to have the snipers to do the job this year. We should have the depth on defene to avoid using 4 forwards. Having Radulov there to work with Patches and especially Galchenyuk could be fun to watch. The second unit may be able to have both DD or Plecky centring it and Gallagher and a choice of some good youth to get some experience. This is one of the things I am looking forward to the most this year as we have some depth provided by some of our younger player for the first time in quite a while. The PK has always been pretty sound and if anything may be a significantly better with Carey and some of our new additions in the line-up.

It would be nice to see Plecky take a break from the number one line on the PP as we seem to have the snipers to do the job this year. We should have the depth on defene to avoid using 4 forwards. Having Radulov there to work with Patches and especially Galchenyuk could be fun to watch. The second unit may be able to have both DD or Plecky centring it and Gallagher and a choice of some good youth to get some experience. This is one of the things I am looking forward to the most this year as we have some depth provided by some of our younger player for the first time in quite a while. The PK has always been pretty sound and if anything may be a significantly better with Carey and some of our new additions in the line-up.

1. yes, plek on the 1st wave should not happen all year unless galchenyuk is injured.

2. DD should not be on the pp. he will be , but he should not

3. your next sentence is about depth and we are still talking about DD being on the PP. our offensive depth is garbage. our pp might be better this year if muller is allowed to run everything, but even then we are not scaring anyone with who we put out there.

4. we traded our best penalty killer, I dont know how you can imagine it will be significantly better

1. yes, plek on the 1st wave should not happen all year unless galchenyuk is injured.

2. DD should not be on the pp. he will be , but he should not

3. your next sentence is about depth and we are still talking about DD being on the PP. our offensive depth is garbage. our pp might be better this year if muller is allowed to run everything, but even then we are not scaring anyone with who we put out there.

4. we traded our best penalty killer, I dont know how you can imagine it will be significantly better

On #3 Ithink we have enough scoring to fill one or two spots and still like the support from our defencemen. I think we have much better shot blocking and can easily find the forwards to fill in.

If past experience is any indication , and Muller is allowed to work the PP, it should be better , as Muller had good PP's pretty much everywhere he coached .

If he gets the PP clicking then some of the Assistant Coaches should be axed .

They've had enough time to get it to work and none of them could do anything with it , so why bother keeping them on board other than they are friends of someone .

They've had enough time to get it to work and none of them could do anything with it , so why bother keeping them on board other than they are friends of someone .

Unfortunately, I think you're on to something here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 3:43 AM, PuckPundit said:

Let's pray the Muller magic kicks off against Buffalo to a crazy start!

It hasn't yet had great success... but we should give it some time as he adjusts to the players and who should and shouldn't be a part of it going forward.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/game-day-alexander-radulov-works-on-point-with-canadiens-no-1-power-play-unit

During Therrien’s news conference Monday morning, Sportsnet’s Eric Engels noted that using four forwards on the power play has become a trend in the NHL and asked Therrien why he’s been reluctant to do it in the past.

“Well, this is something that we discussed a lot with Kirk,” Therrien said. “As we all know, he’s responsible for the power play and we’re sharing different things and we have that in our back pocket. We still like Markov and Weber on the point … Jeff Petry’s doing a good job as well. We just want to try different things.”

The coach added: “It’s still early in the season and it’s normal as a group that there’s things we’re looking to get better (at).”

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/game-day-alexander-radulov-works-on-point-with-canadiens-no-1-power-play-unit

During Therrien’s news conference Monday morning, Sportsnet’s Eric Engels noted that using four forwards on the power play has become a trend in the NHL and asked Therrien why he’s been reluctant to do it in the past.

“Well, this is something that we discussed a lot with Kirk,” Therrien said. “As we all know, he’s responsible for the power play and we’re sharing different things and we have that in our back pocket. We still like Markov and Weber on the point … Jeff Petry’s doing a good job as well. We just want to try different things.”

The coach added: “It’s still early in the season and it’s normal as a group that there’s things we’re looking to get better (at).”

Radulov + Weber first pairing, Markov + Petry second pairing?

Don't like using Radulov on the point. We have plenty of D men who can play the PP and we have fewer forwards who can do this effectively. I'd rather have Beaulieu on the point and Radulov up front in place of Shaw, DD, or Plekanec.

According to Andrew Berskshire, Habs are 29th in league for scoring chance generation rate on the PP. Started the year looking like things might change, but it's really failed the past couple of games.

Are we letting KM go already? This team has too much talent to be out of the top 10 in either category and I am being conservative. We were third worst in the league in shorthanded goals against last year including giving up 3  in one game last year. I am not sure we can come close to that with five forwards on the ice this year. 

5 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Are we letting KM go already? 

Muller will definitely be ousted....At some point, but still early days yet.  IMHO, he's a waiting scapegoat.  

Frankly, I'll be surprised if he survives the end of this post-season.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 0:43 AM, ramcharger440 said:

?

Because the PP isn't fixed at all.  Sure, a few goals every few matches.  But the % hit rate is abysmal.

MT explicitly telling the media Muller being brought in to improve the PP, was setting him for the eventual fall.

How do we know Muller isn't allowed a free hand in implementing his tactics?  After all, he's NOT the HC.  MT can veto or disregard his instructions.  But all these is behind closed doors. 

1 minute ago, PuckPundit said:

Because the PP isn't fixed at all.  Sure, a few goals every few matches.  But the % hit rate is abysmal.

MT explicitly telling the media Muller being brought in to improve the PP, was setting him for the eventual fall.

How do we know Muller isn't allowed a free hand in implementing his tactics?  After all, he's NOT the HC.  MT can veto or disregard his instructions.  But all these is behind closed doors. 

You look at the personnel available over the past 3 years (Subban, Markov, Weber, Petry, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Radulov, etc.) and this PP should be good. It should at least be league-average. It consistently looks disorganized, and there are a lot of problems 1. establishing the zone and 2. breaking the defensive box. We do a lot of passing around the exterior of the coverage, but a good PP needs to get the goalie moving side to side and needs to get players in the box pulled out of position. Sometimes that happens because of lucky bounces but a lot of that will happen by players moving the puck through the box with cross-ice passes and taking the puck AT the defence and then dishing off if the coverage closes in. It also requires players to get on rebounds for second chances.

Muller is a pretty decent powerplay coach. He's proven that in his last stint here and with other clubs as well. But this is now the third guy (after Lacroix and JJ) to have a miserable time getting this to work. I feel like Muller's doing better than the other two, but there's something fundamentally wrong with this. Part of the problem is that the team allows guys like Desharnais to bring the puck up ice and he's completely ineffective at establishing the zone, which kills time. Some of it is that we rely on perimeter type players like Pacioretty and DD and Plekanec and Markov who just don't attack the box in any way.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the following guys on the PP:

Radulov-Galchenyuk-Gallagher-Beaulieu-Weber

Pacioretty-Lehkonen-Carr-Petry-Pateryn

I also think it would be highly beneficial for us to call up McCarron and get him onto the PP, even if he's in the bottom 6 at ES.

• 2 months later...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/canadiens-notebook-alex-galchenyuk-still-not-practising-with-knee-injury

Habs’ power play clicking

The Canadiens went 2-for-3 on the power play Tuesday night with Alexander Radulov scoring both of his goals with the man advantage. The Canadiens also killed off four of Calgary’s five power plays, allowing a goal by Sam Bennett with only two seconds left in the game to spoil Price’s shutout bid. Plekanec scored a short-handed goal for the Canadiens.

After the game, the NHL on the power play with a 23.3 per cent success rate and they were tied for 22nd in penalty-killing with a 79.8 per cent success rate.the Canadiens ranked third in

“Kirk (Muller) is working a lot closely and communicating with the players about making adjustments almost every game,” Therrien said after practice about his associate coach who was hired last summer and is in charge of the power play. “The communication is there. We’re capitalizing on our chances. The power play is crucial … special teams are crucial, as we could see last night.

“We’re pleased with the power play, but we’re still working at it,” Therrien added. “We’re still looking to get better.”

The Canadiens ranked 25th on the power play last season with a 16.2 per cent success rate.

• 2 weeks later...

So there has been a lot of criticism directed at Michel Therrien for using players like Desharnais and Shaw on the PP and giving them preferential treatment in ice time. Some have argued that it's worth trying and that DD is no worse than anyone else, so I thought I'd look at the stats. To me, the major question about a player's worth on the PP is how many scoring chances the team generates while he's on the ice. Corsi doesn't really matter, because the rates of shot attempts against should be relatively low, so it's really a question of how many scoring chances the player helps us get with the man up (per ice time). So to that end, for players with more than 20 minutes of PP time this year, Paul Byron is actually the guy producing the highest number of scoring chances per ice time (21 for every 60 min of 5v4 PP time). He's followed in short order by Gallagher, Plekanec, Lehkonen, Danault, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty. After that, it's Radulov, then Shaw, and lastly, Desharnais, who is on for only 2.7 scoring chances per 60. Again, to put that in perspective, that's 1/10 of what we're getting from Byron and about 15% of what we're getting from the majority of the other forwards.

So when people talk about Desharnais and Shaw being given ice time against common sense and against what statistics show the coaches should be doing, this is why. It's not picking on those two guys, it's because the numbers show the team is much less effective when those players are on the ice on the PP. It simply doesn't make sense for the coach to be throwing them out instead of Galchenyuk or Danault or Byron or Lehkonen.

Archived