The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Charlie Lindgren

habs_93

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Congrats Charlie on your 1st NHL win this season. Strong game.

He's very good positionally for a young guy. Needs some work on playing the puck outside his crease and rebound control could be a touch better, but I really like him as a prospect. Thought he could have been the guy coming out of camp, although Montoya has also played well for us this year.

• 1 month later...
  • HabsRuleForever changed the title to Charlie Lindgren
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Should DEFINITELY get the next start after putting in the best performance of any Montreal goaltender this season.

Agreed. He was outstanding and the team seemed to feed off of it.

This year has been funny. We came out flat - and also totally confused (especially the defensemen not named Mete and Weber).  Once the adjustment seemed to sink in, they looked better but every step forward was erased by a poor goal here or there.  

I think its crucial we get solid goaltending for a stretch here and let the team get back the confidence.  Its coming, guys are loosening up & that is always a good thing.

I do think Price will bounce back - in a big way probably - and hopefully when he does, we'll be playing as well as we did last night, on a consistent basis.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:41 AM, BigTed3 said:

He's very good positionally for a young guy. Needs some work on playing the puck outside his crease and rebound control could be a touch better, but I really like him as a prospect. Thought he could have been the guy coming out of camp, although Montoya has also played well for us this year.

How fast do you see him developing and what is his potential.  

6 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

How fast do you see him developing and what is his potential.  

I think he's actually developed pretty well already for a goalie with limited NHL experience. He seems to be pretty calm in goal and doesn't over-commit. His positioning isn't quite as good as Carey's, but Lindgren's a little bit more mobile in his crease and gets himself back in position when needed. His rebound control seems to be better than when he first came into the Habs' organization. But all in all, I actually think he's very mature for a young goalie. As I noted above, I think he can improve on his puck handling and a little but on his lateral movement and rebound control, but he's not far off from being very good in all of those categories. He's the first young goalie we've had in a while (thinking of Tokarski, Condon, Fucale, etc.) who projects as a potential #1 goalie down the line. I don't think he'll ever be as good as peak Carey nor a Vezina-level goalie, but I think he can be a solid 10th-20th best goalie in the league at some point, and if you can pay him significantly less than Price, maybe that is a better alternative in a cap era. The main problem is that I don't think Lindgren will be able to be a good #1 and play 50-60 games for another 2-3 years, so if you trade Price, my guess is that you're going to go through growing pains playing LIndgren regularly for a year or two.

Of note, Lindgren's 5 wins to start his career don't come anywhere close to the record. Patrick Lalime went 16 games without a loss to start his career (albeit ties were allowed back then). We'll see if Lindgren can build on his numbers!