The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game 24, Habs @ Sharks, 7:30 PST, 10:30 EST., RDS, CSCA, RSNE, TSN 690 Radio.

kinot-1

41 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Can't comment on a game i didn't watch although i am surprised we didn't get blown away. Sounds like we had a few good chances of our own from what i've read,,, and from the looks of Hab 93's chart doesn't appear like we we're totally dominated. 

On the bright side (if there is one), two losses for sure, but only by a goal, so i guess that's not horrible for road games. Maybe we can pull a little upset in L.A.

Last time we played really well against LA is when DD was benched.

16 hours ago, habs_93 said:

Final:

2016020358-1480731315.png

Corsi For (All Situations): 54.87%
Score Adjusted 5-on-5 Corsi For: 56.18%

So, I often see this graph after a win looking the other way around and the discussion that follows is that, despite our win, we didn't deserve it.  Why is it that I never see the opposite? After a loss like this, when the graph is in our favour, why is no one discussing how these particular stats indicate that we  deserved a better fate?

1 hour ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

So, I often see this graph after a win looking the other way around and the discussion that follows is that, despite our win, we didn't deserve it.  Why is it that I never see the opposite? After a loss like this, when the graph is in our favour, why is no one discussing how these particular stats indicate that we  deserved a better fate?

Partially because of those games we won and shouldn't have, really. PDO regression is often a brutal thing, and it certainly is right now. I'm not a fan of the "deserved" narrative, personally, because an awful lot of the outcome of hockey at the game level is luck.

2 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

I agree completely. After games like the last two when the advanced stats look favorably towards us and we still lose. We always here then that the stats didn't really show how the game went. Then when we are discussing players some of the same say how the advanced stats make one obviously a better player. Advanced stats are just another tool but definitely don't tell everything. A team or a player can be taking a lot of shots but if they're not quality to the outside or blocked ect. them they're being neutralized by either good defensive teams or players or just because someone takes a lot of shots. It doesn't mean they are good decisions or quality shots. As they say grade a scoring chances. Just as plain shots on goal don't always tell the story of a game. So either way it's not all doom and gloom or all glory sometimes there is hot goalies and actually "puck luck" deflections bounces ect. Yes you definitely want to be on the positive side of shots (quality scoring chances mean much more) and on the correct side of advanced stats, but it doesn't always indicate you are going to win or lose. That's Hockey that's why we watch. You play the game in the ice not on paper.

19 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

We always here then that the stats didn't really show how the game went.

I don't recall anyone saying that after this one, actually.

Advanced stats are just another tool but definitely don't tell everything.

This is still a strawman.

A team or a player can be taking a lot of shots but if they're not quality to the outside or blocked ect.

And this is still an assertion without evidence. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but no one has a right to their own facts. If you can't support an argument, you can't expect anyone else to take it seriously.

• H_T_L locked this topic

Archived