The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Most Valuable Non-Carey

BigTed3

Outside of Carey Price, which player can the Habs least afford to lose to injury for an entire season?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Outside of Carey Price, which player can the Habs least afford to lose to injury for an entire season?

• Shea Weber
    • Alex Galchenyuk
    • Max Pacioretty
    • Jeff Petry
    • Alexander Radulov
    • Brendan Gallagher

We know what happened when we lost Carey for the year. Now we've lost Galchenyuk and are staying afloat short-term outside of the PP. But could we afford to lose him for the full season? What about Weber's big minutes or Pacioretty's goal-scoring? The Gallagher injury hurt last year. Would it be just as devastating this season? Is Radulov the emerging backbone to the offence? Is Petry the player who drives possession and thus success? Tell us who you think is the most valuable position player on the team and who we can least afford to play without long-term.

15 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Galchenyuk IMO because it's the biggest drop off to the next C.

Surprised at all the Radulov votes, I like the guy but most valuable winger is even a toss-up between him and Pacioretty for me. We're actually pretty solid on the wings though and our best near NHL ready prospects are wingers. I don't think Galchenyuk is necessarily our best forward but it's so thin down the middle without him that it seems pretty obvious to me that it's him. We might be able to sustain ourselves for a bit and win some games but come playoff time running Plekanec Danault Mitchell as our top 9 Cs? Jeeze, I'm even worried about Plekanec as a 2nd line C and Danault isn't one either so the C situation WITH Galchenyuk isn't comforting, without him? It's pretty amazing we're playing as well as we are but I don't think there's any chance to have end of season success like this.

Petry/Weber are both reasonable picks but we do have another top pairing caliber RD if only one of them goes down. Our LD is pretty bad so losing a Markov would hurt badly but I'm not sure how much we should be relying on him down the stretch anyway.  

6 hours ago, roy_133 said:

Surprised at all the Radulov votes, I like the guy but most valuable winger is even a toss-up between him and Pacioretty for me. We're actually pretty solid on the wings though and our best near NHL ready prospects are wingers. I don't think Galchenyuk is necessarily our best forward but it's so thin down the middle without him that it seems pretty obvious to me that it's him. We might be able to sustain ourselves for a bit and win some games but come playoff time running Plekanec Danault Mitchell as our top 9 Cs? Jeeze, I'm even worried about Plekanec as a 2nd line C and Danault isn't one either so the C situation WITH Galchenyuk isn't comforting, without him? It's pretty amazing we're playing as well as we are but I don't think there's any chance to have end of season success like this.

Petry/Weber are both reasonable picks but we do have another top pairing caliber RD if only one of them goes down. Our LD is pretty bad so losing a Markov would hurt badly but I'm not sure how much we should be relying on him down the stretch anyway.  

I'm not surprised. Actually I voted for Radulov. His vision and playmaking abilities were sorely missed the two games he sat out. It seems that even when he doesn't put up points, he creates a ton of opportunities for himself and his linemates. The other thing is that his work ethic is contagious. He goes all out every shift and that's just as important as putting up a ton of points.

7 hours ago, roy_133 said:

Im with you here. Im quite surprised we've been able to be as competitive without Galchenyuk but if this were to go all year I think it would be very bad.

Imho the importance-ranking of players would be:

Price (by a huge margin)
Galchenyuk
Weber
Radulov or Patches (it would hurt to lose one, it would kill us to lose both although maybe we'd finally give some younger players a chance)
Petry
Markov or Emelin or Beaulieu (i think we could hobble along with an injury to oen but not all 3.

I had to go with Galchenyuk. It has been a completely different team to watch with him out of the lineup IMO , some great games were played dont get me wrong but just a different team to watch and even the games they won big it just diddnt feel like the dominant team earlier the year.  

On 22/12/2016 at 0:04 PM, roy_133 said:

Surprised at all the Radulov votes, I like the guy but most valuable winger is even a toss-up between him and Pacioretty for me. We're actually pretty solid on the wings though and our best near NHL ready prospects are wingers. I don't think Galchenyuk is necessarily our best forward but it's so thin down the middle without him that it seems pretty obvious to me that it's him. 

Yeah this was my logic as well. I rate Radulov as the 2nd best forward after Pacioretty and before Galchenyuk, but the Habs are far weaker at C than either wing. Lose Radulov and you still have Gallagher who is one of the best shot creators on the planet. Lose Pacioretty and you still have reasonable top 9 LWs.

With Galchenyuk out the Habs are expansion team weak at C and it's a massive concern in the medium term. The Habs could conceivably make a run without Radulov but IMO without Galchenyuk or a reasonable replacement it's doubtful.

I know Im suppose to be pick someone " other " than CP but it's Carey Price and only Carep Price  .

And even Carey Price if he is not all world it will be a struggle

The rest of the guys , any one player can miss an extended time , and I don't think the team will be any worse . They will just get some player to fill the spot and rotate players .

Archived