The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#89 Nikita Nesterov 2016-17

habs_93

1 hour ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

MB definitely seems to have a penchant for Russian players. 

I have no problem with it thus far... we have decent talent in our Russian crew and as long as they play well, then good on MB for finding the players. At this point, it's actually a way to find good value because some teams underrate Russians or avoid them on account of the whole KHL risk thing. So it's a good way to find bargains.

It is, however, funny that there have only been 12 Russian D men to play a game in the NHL this season, and 4 of them have suited up for the Habs.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

It is, however, funny that there have only been 12 Russian D men to play a game in the NHL this season, and 4 of them have suited up for the Habs.

This is funny, I had no idea, neat stat! 

• 1 month later...

If he's not effective at defence, why not try him as winger?

Tampa did use him on the wing on a few occasions.

His strengths are skating and powerful shot accuracy.  Could be put to great use on the PP.  If we're short of LW, why not try him out?  There have been many cases of players being converted from forward to defence and vice versa.

I mean it would be a waste to just scratch him game after game.  Give him a shot at wing!

7 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

no offence to this guy but I hope we don't see him again.

Honestly I have no idea what happened to him.  Maybe he's hurt or the coaching staff is trying to get him to work on some aspect of his game but im just shocked how bad he's looked with us.  

For a long time he looked like he was a sure thing as a Top 4 guy and while he's still young, im certainly not holding out a lot of hope...TB already gave up on him, so i guess the question is whether our staff thinks they can turn him around or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Apparently he's injured. No idea when or how. Bench splinters possibly??

i wonder if it wasnt something that he had prior to the trade.  he's played so horribly since we acquired him.  This is a guy who at one point looked like a lock as a top 4 and possibly even top pairing when in TB.  

Hopefully he was trying to play through an injury & in fact he's a much better player than what we saw...

On 3/16/2017 at 0:04 PM, maas_art said:

i wonder if it wasnt something that he had prior to the trade.  he's played so horribly since we acquired him.  This is a guy who at one point looked like a lock as a top 4 and possibly even top pairing when in TB.  

Hopefully he was trying to play through an injury & in fact he's a much better player than what we saw...

This is exactly what I was saying.  He not only looked good with TB, he was a Hab-killer when we played against them.  He is a better player than what we've seen in his short time here.  It's got to be an injury or something similar.  If they can get this guy to return to the level he played at with the Lightning, he will be a valuable acquisition.  We can only hope. 

1 hour ago, vegasrick said:

This is exactly what I was saying.  He not only looked good with TB, he was a Hab-killer when we played against them.  He is a better player than what we've seen in his short time here.  It's got to be an injury or something similar.  If they can get this guy to return to the level he played at with the Lightning, he will be a valuable acquisition.  We can only hope. 

In the few Habs games I saw him ... there were flashes of talent and skill ... but yeah, nothing sustained and his timing seemed off.

• 3 weeks later...

He actually looked pretty good tonight vs. Detroit.  Two assists, and even though he blew a tire in OT, he still managed a nice pass to Chucky for the GWG.  Would be nice to see him regain his form from a couple years ago. 

On 4/8/2017 at 11:24 PM, vegasrick said:

He actually looked pretty good tonight vs. Detroit.  Two assists, and even though he blew a tire in OT, he still managed a nice pass to Chucky for the GWG.  Would be nice to see him regain his form from a couple years ago. 

Well and like i said above: its so weird. He looked like a shoo-in for top 4 duties on a strong TB defense and then the wheels fell off. I cant think of many instances where a player has taken such a dive in ability.   

I agree he looked pretty decent last game, although this is not the time of the year i'd be testing to see if he's regained his form.

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Well and like i said above: its so weird. He looked like a shoo-in for top 4 duties on a strong TB defense and then the wheels fell off. I cant think of many instances where a player has taken such a dive in ability.   

I agree he looked pretty decent last game, although this is not the time of the year i'd be testing to see if he's regained his form.

True enough, but hopefully we won't have to.  We should have our guys ready and healthy by Wednesday's opening game.  Weber, our resident #1, will be there, and Benn, who was a nice surprise all season, should be back.  Markov is having one of the best seasons he's ever had, and considering what a rebirth/renaissance that is, we're in good hands there.  Beaulieu started turning it on toward the end of the season.  Petry was our best defenseman last playoffs.  Emelin seemed to be getting his physical form back and reducing the amount of mistakes overall.  Davidson has looked quite capable, and even Lernout was solid for the most part in his small sample size.  Assuming Sergachev won't be there, Nesterov is likely our 7th or even 8th D-man on the list.  

I think our defense, combined with a healthy Price in net, will result in the Habs being a very difficult team to score against.  

OK, this guy instantly reverted to his "old self" of mind-boggling transformation from a great D-man when he played with Tampa, to a puzzling mystery with Montreal.....the mystery being of the "why are we even putting him on the ice, he's so bad" variety.  

We HAVE to have better options.  I thought only one defenseman - Emelin - was injured.  We can't be down to having no other options than to use Nesterov.....can we?  That was (essentially) a one-goal game we just lost.  A poor defenseman like Nesterov could cost the Habs the series.  Whatever he once had, he's lost it.  This experiment needs to be over. 

16 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

OK, this guy instantly reverted to his "old self" of mind-boggling transformation from a great D-man when he played with Tampa, to a puzzling mystery with Montreal.....the mystery being of the "why are we even putting him on the ice, he's so bad" variety.  

We HAVE to have better options.  I thought only one defenseman - Emelin - was injured.  We can't be down to having no other options than to use Nesterov.....can we?  That was (essentially) a one-goal game we just lost.  A poor defenseman like Nesterov could cost the Habs the series.  Whatever he once had, he's lost it.  This experiment needs to be over. 

Davidson is ok to go i believe.  

Not sure why on earth Nesterov is in over him.  Overall love what julien has done so far but a couple of real head scratchers (nesterov, king, galchenyuk)

Archived