The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

25 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder if MB keeps a player out of the line-up tonight, if he is trying to put together a deal for said player. 

Possibly.  Most likely this would only happen if they've agreed in principle and the other team is requesting it though. 

Honestly I think if we make any sort of big move, most of our assets will come in prospects and picks so i wouldnt expect anyone scratched tonight but you never know. 

Sharp apparently has a nagging injury that is going to be re-assessed by doctors tonight, so that might be preventing him from being dealt... number of trade candidates dropping. Still think we're going to be looking at a mid-level veteran forward like Vanek, Iginla, Filppula, Backlund, or so on... not sure MB will be able to find a big splash.

We didn't really need Hanzal, Burrows, Boyle, Stalberg, etc. so not concerned about missing out on them. Shattenkirk would have been nice but big price to pay for a rental. I would have taken him IF we could have signed him to a long-term deal as part of the trade AND we had a separate deal to trade Weber for better younger assets. Wasn't going to happen.

14 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder if MB keeps a player out of the line-up tonight, if he is trying to put together a deal for said player. 

Or if a player disappears from the bench mid-game. :P

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Sens made another move today adding some depth,,,

http://www.tsn.ca/sens-get-stalberg-from-canes-for-pick-1.683509

Also extended Burrows immediately after acquiring him, which was kind of bizarre. Now Stalberg.
We have enough trouble with the Sens, don't need them improving their roster.

------

Backlund (Calgary) was apparently absent from practice for a maintenance day, but with it being trade deadline there was a brief moment of speculation.
I don't know enough about him, but seems more like the kind of 2C Bergevin might go for, rather than pay the premium for a bigger fish.

Saw some spitballing on Gaborik, Drouin, Filpulla, as well. Not that I expect any of those players to move. Filpulla would be most likely.

Also, we might be able to move Plekanec if we retain half of his salary. Not ideal, but $3M we could better allocate with Danault taking over 3C.
That one would likely be preceded by an acquisition for the top 6 however.

*Couldn't access forum earlier so spent the time looking around for news*

Just now, RicochetII said:

Or if a player disappears from the bench mid-game. :P

Also extended Burrows immediately after acquiring him, which was kind of bizarre. Now Stalberg.
We have enough trouble with the Sens, don't need them improving their roster.

------

Backlund (Calgary) was apparently absent from practice for a maintenance day, but with it being trade deadline there was a brief moment of speculation.
I don't know enough about him, but seems more like the kind of 2C Bergevin might go for, rather than pay the premium for a bigger fish.

Saw some spitballing on Gaborik, Drouin, Filpulla, as well. Not that I expect any of those players to move. Filpulla would be most likely.

Also, we might be able to move Plekanec if we retain half of his salary. Not ideal, but $3M we could better allocate with Danault taking over 3C.
That one would likely be preceded by an acquisition for the top 6 however.

*Couldn't access forum earlier so spent the time looking around for news*

Story was that Burrows refused another Atlantic division team with a strong indication it was the Habs. I would guess if that's true, then it's likely because MB refused to give him that ridiculous 2 year extension.

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Story was that Burrows refused another Atlantic division team with a strong indication it was the Habs. I would guess if that's true, then it's likely because MB refused to give him that ridiculous 2 year extension.

*Gasp*

The same MB that signed Emelin to an extension without first evaluating the extent of his injury? I'm impressed.

16 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Somewhere on twitter I read the Habs wanted Jannik Hansen but he said no. That's all I've heard so far.

Guys only played 28 games this year. Injury issues?? He also has a modified NTC with 8 teams on the list. I suppose we weren't one of the 8 teams.He does have a young family and that likely factors into the decision.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Sharp apparently has a nagging injury that is going to be re-assessed by doctors tonight, so that might be preventing him from being dealt... number of trade candidates dropping. Still think we're going to be looking at a mid-level veteran forward like Vanek, Iginla, Filppula, Backlund, or so on... not sure MB will be able to find a big splash.

We didn't really need Hanzal, Burrows, Boyle, Stalberg, etc. so not concerned about missing out on them. Shattenkirk would have been nice but big price to pay for a rental. I would have taken him IF we could have signed him to a long-term deal as part of the trade AND we had a separate deal to trade Weber for better younger assets. Wasn't going to happen.

Honestly if we can escape this deadline day by adding maybe a Vanek (to fill our iffy #2LW spot) and a mobile left-shooting defensman I'll be happy. 

As much as Id love Duchene on this team I have a bad feeling that MB would overpay drastically for him &  I think that will hurt us in the long run. 

1 minute ago, RicochetII said:

*Gasp*

The same MB that signed Emelin to an extension without first evaluating the extent of his injury? I'm impressed.

Maybe learning from past mistakes? :ph34r: At least Emelin wasn't collecting an old age pension when he got his extension. :lol:

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Maybe learning from past mistakes? :ph34r: At least Emelin wasn't collecting an old age pension when he got his extension. :lol:

He gave Therrien an extension the following year. :/ I hope that was the one he learned from.

1 minute ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Remember the kinot extension?

I kinot recall that.

EOTP Article http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl-trade-deadline/2017/2/28/14766822/what-trade-pieces-do-the-montreal-canadiens-have-deadline-speculation-nathan-beaulieu-charles-hudon

Interesting. I hadn't even thought of Nygren or Mete.

I also hadn't considered Benn's impact on our expansion draft protection. We can only protect one of Beaulieu, Benn, or Emelin now, and you'd have to think the odds are in Benn's favor. Could indicate Beaulieu is seen as expendable now. Byron as trade bait has crossed my mind. I would honestly rather his spot goes to Hudon or McCarron for the rest of the season, but that's a tough call, because he is probably a safer option right now.

• H_T_L locked this topic

Archived