The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

So the kings got Iginla for a conditional 4th round pick - just like we gave up to get King.

Kind of surprised they would drop a player in his prime for a 39 year old Iginla.  Obviously Iginla had a WAY higher skillset but he's a shell of his old self while King i still a useful bottom 6 player.    Always interesting to see how teams place their needs and evaluate players.

Marinaro and his radio buddies mused about the Kings having to move salary to actually make room under the Cap for Iginla.

11 minutes ago, manquant said:

Ghetto traded for martinsen

Andreas Martinsen

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Jun 13 1990 -- Baeum, Norway 
[26 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.03 -- Weight 220 [191 cm/100 kg]

55 GP, 3G 4A, 32 PIMs. 

146 Hits in 55 GP.

A bit of a head-scratcher. 

1 minute ago, habs_93 said:

That's the line of the day, I think. Horribly underwhelmed so far.

Lets hope these are all pieces put into play for that big move or two coming in the next little while.  Obviously cut off is 1/2 hr but we may not hear about all the deals for another couple of hours...

im not holding my breath though. 

1 minute ago, HabsRuleForever said:

We knew we needed to get size but now can we get skill too in less than half an hour?

When you look at our prospects (Sherbak, Juulsen,,, Sergachev, etc.),,, we have to win now, and if we have to sacrifice some of those prospects to get a top C, then so be it. 

As much as I hate to admit,  I think MB is right ... sometimes the trade just isn't there.    Sure we'd all love Duchene or another top talent ... but if the ask is unreasonable or crazy you don't bite.       It's easy for us to sit here and be underwhelmed but sometimes when you're a buyer you have to be cognizant of your budget 

On the bright side, even with the "size-for-skill" slant to these trades, we haven't actually given up anything that we can't replace or live without.  Without a roster limit we can try all of these guys on a rotating fourth line if we want to, and hopefully one or two will click and perform well for a while.  

The potential downside is that might create a further logjam for guys like Hudon to break through before getting a shot with the team.  I'll emphasize might in that last sentence, though, because in a perfect word Hudon should be played on a scoring line anyway.  Getting rid of guys like Desharnais and Andrighetto might actually end up opening up more room for him in those situations.

I guess it all comes down to how the coach plays them and how all the players themselves perform.  One way or another, though, there definitely isn't anything happening that I'd consider a big splash.

Just now, maas_art said:

Lets hope these are all pieces put into play for that big move or two coming in the next little while.  Obviously cut off is 1/2 hr but we may not hear about all the deals for another couple of hours...

im not holding my breath though. 

It's all periphery right now. Even trading Desharnais isn't that exciting, because the issue with him was always Therrien's overuse and misuse, not the player himself. With CJ here now, I wasn't as concerned about that.

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

When you look at our prospects (Sherbak, Juulsen,,, Sergachev, etc.),,, we have to win now, and if we have to sacrifice some of those prospects to get a top C, then so be it. 

I don't think it's our prospects that say that ... its our current core.   

Weber and Markov are aging

Pleks has lost his mojo

Price's contract is up soon

etc 

• H_T_L locked this topic

Archived