Poll: Will Therrien Be Fired

BigTed3

Will Therrien be fired?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Will Therrien be fired?

• Yes, over the next week
    • Yes, but only at the end of the season
    • No, he'll still be here to start next season

We're not going to bother asking you if you think Therrien should be fired because we're pretty sure 98% of fans are on board with that notion right now. The question is whether you think he will be fired this year, and if so, when that will be. The Habs hit rock bottom last season, setting all kinds of franchise records for ineptitude. They started this season well, but over the past three months, they're a bottom 10 team in the league and are basically playing out last season all over again. Is it enough for Bergevin to part ways with his foxhole buddy?

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

So if Habs come 2nd in division but get swept out in 1st round by the Leafs, do you think he's safe?

Well all logic on his safety is out the window, unless it's literally indefensible to Molson, I don't think Bergevin will fire him. If last season wasn't enough, I'm not even sure what will.

I don't think MB has the guts to fire Therrien now. I think even though he knows things aren't working, he'll find an excuse as to why he should wait. It's sad, but that's the type of GM Bergevin is, he's not proactive in the least.

However, I don't see how Therrien can last past this season. In our current state (i.e. barring a fantastic trade to bring in a star), I just don't see this team making it past the 2nd round. We're full healthy, and we're playing awful hockey with no excuses to explain why. If the Habs show no evidence of progress, I think finishing this season poorly will be enough for a change to happen. That being said, I'm also not confident MB will do any better at picking a new coach. I don't think Julien will make it to July 1st without being signed somewhere, so if MB is slow to act (as he has been in the past) then we'll miss out. At that point, I see MB looking at guys like Roy, Hartley, Lefebvre, Carbo, Martin, Tremblay, and other recycled Francophone coaches. I think he will refuse to work with Roy on account of personality differences, so my fear is that he's going to replace Therrien with Bob Hartley in the off-season and we'll be no better off.

15 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

If he isn't fired by tomorrow noon, he'll be here for the rest of the season.

Hard to say. You obviously want to give the new guy as much time as possible, but the Habs also won't call a press conference until they are sure they have the successor lined up and signed either. If it's Julien, that means getting permission from Boston to speak to him and working out how to make that happen. If MB hadn't made up his mind about firing Therrien until last night's game was done, that probably means he's working on Julien today. So we might get an announcement Tuesday but it might also not be until Wednesday. I think if we don't have new by Wednesday, then you're correct that we likely won't see Therrien fired at all. I also wonder if MB will plan another foxhole speech this week to tell everyone that Therrien is still his guy... if he does, people will laugh at him again. If he doesn't though, people will continue to speculate Therrien should be fired.

1 minute ago, habs_93 said:

I still think he's the coach for opening night 2017-18. We're talking about a coach who has done absolutely nothing, and and was still appeased by throwing away a Norris winning young defenceman.

agreed. 

MB will never fire his bff. so you have to think of what it would take for MB to get fired, so what would that be? missing the playoffs this year? I don't see it. The excuse will be that we were in 1st place until February , jupiter just didnt align with mars and the dog ate my homework, better luck next year guys, we got a lotta dep and we appreciate the character on this team, bla bla bla.

In fact I might even go so far as to say that losing practically every game from now until the end of the year might not even do it.....and realistically, the odds are that we make the playoffs one way or another, and that basically puts a lock on team foxhole for another year at LEAST.

1 minute ago, jeff33 said:

agreed. 

MB will never fire his bff. so you have to think of what it would take for MB to get fired, so what would that be? missing the playoffs this year? I don't see it. The excuse will be that we were in 1st place until February , jupiter just didnt align with mars and the dog ate my homework, better luck next year guys, we got a lotta dep and we appreciate the character on this team, bla bla bla.

In fact I might even go so far as to say that losing practically every game from now until the end of the year might not even do it.....and realistically, the odds are that we make the playoffs one way or another, and that basically puts a lock on team foxhole for another year at LEAST.

This organization under Molson has consistently overreacted to significant events and overcorrected for small setbacks as if they were looming trends. The whole Gauthier thing happened, and the message since has been stability over everything else. And we've got that: stability, and nothing else. Stability on the wrong path. For a while there, I thought the team had gotten over that Ottawa series, and then it traded Subban for "grit and character".

I think we're in for even more stability.

17 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

We keep sinking to new lows as MT remains at the helm. Our do-nothing GM and our look-the-other-way OWNER seem to think that all is well and full steam ahead with our present coach. The intimation seems to suggest it is somehow all our player's faults. Shameful.

I can think of a stronger word than "shameful" even.  The foxhole buddies traded P.K. Subban, a highly-skilled Norris-winning franchise defenseman who LOVED the people of the city and the team, who never shied away from the media, and who showed immense generosity with huge financial contributions to worthy causes in Montreal.  Here was a player most teams would die for, being run out of town because......why was that again?  

Aah, don't get me started with all the phony excuses and double-standards.  Bottom line is, the longer it goes on, the worse it will be for the Habs, and the longer it will take to recover.  As for when it will actually happen, the answer, unfortunately, is.....TOO LATE.  This coach should have been fired in the middle of LAST season, if not sooner.  

Since Molson doesn't seem to care about anything other than how much beer is being sold, it looks like the Habs will be caught in a vicious cycle of only hiring French-speaking coaches who have never won anything, for at least the next 10-15 years.  Welcome to the Dark Ages, Habs fans.  

"If" Marc doesn't fire Therrien this week, then he'll wait until the season is over,,,,, that's if he plans to fire him at all. Also, if MB doesn't fire MT now (preferably), or after the season, then Geoff should fire them both. 

IMO, MB "should" fire Therrien now, and let Muller take over and see what he can do. I'm sure the team would respond better with Muller as coach. 

If we lose to Winnipeg coming out of the break I think Therrien will be gone. Bergevin made moves to deal with last year very definitively and should continue if Therrien can no longer get this team going. Muller or a Gallant may be able to fix the problem short term, but it appears this team is not responding to Therrien and it may be what Carey needs to get back on track

FWIW , this year is starting to repeat last year " the worst record in the NHL since the beginning of February "

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/13/to-save-season-canadiens-need-to-fire-michel-therrien

I don’t know if Bruce Cassidy is the second coming of Scotty Bowman. I’m not even sure he is as good a head coach as Claude Julien was.

But what’s clear is that the Boston Bruins, who are 3-0-0 since changing coaches last week, are benefitting from having a new voice behind the bench. And they aren’t the only ones. From the St. Louis Blues to the New York Islanders, the best trades in the NHL this season have concerned a coach, not a player.

It’s called a bump, a boost or a boon. And while there is no guarantee that this short-term surge will continue for the long run, it quite possibly has saved Boston’s season. And a similar move could save Montreal’s season as well.

The Habs, who lost 4-0 to the Bruins on Sunday, still have a six-point lead atop the Atlantic Division. But after losing 10 of their past 13 games, they head into the bye week skidding toward the same proverbial cliff that the team fell off last year.

Maybe the five-day break will give the team a chance to clear its collective head and get back on track. Maybe acquiring a player such as Matt Duchene at the upcoming March 1 trade deadline will make things right. But that’s nearly three weeks away.

By then, the Habs, who have played five more games than the second-place Senators and have four games in hand on the fourth-place Leafs in the Atlantic Division standings, could be out of a playoff spot.

Besides, the Habs don’t really need to make a trade. They just need a jolt in the same way that the Bruins, Blues and Islanders needed one.

In other words, they need to fire head coach Michel Therrien.

When the Blues fired Ken Hitchcock on Feb. 1, the team had lost five of its past six games and was clinging to the final wild-card spot. Today, they are 5-1-0 under Mike Yeo and in third place in the Central Division. The Islanders are 7-2-2 since firing Jack Capuano, having climbed from last in the Eastern Conference to 10th place, just three points out of the wild-card spot.

Even the Florida Panthers, who fired Gerard Gallant in November, have shown a slight improvement since then.

It’s not about Xs and Os. A new coach might assign new roles to players and devise different power-play schemes. But, mostly, it’s a wakeup call to the rest of the team. Trades are harder and harder to execute in today’s NHL, but firing the head coach is an easy way for a GM to get the message across that things need to change.

After that, it’s up to the players.

“It’s been pretty impressive,” Blues defenceman Colton Parayko told reporters after winning their fourth straight game under Yeo. “We’ve just realized that if we want to do this, we’ve got to put together the effort and make sure that we work together as a team. We definitely have the team on paper to be one of the best in the league, so it’s just a matter of showing up and working together. It’s definitely an exciting time for us when we know what we can be like when we play our best.”

A year ago, the Pittsburgh Penguins found themselves at a similar crossroads when they fired Mike Johnston and replaced him with Mike Sullivan. At the time, the team was 15-10-3 and in fifth place in the crowded Metropolitan Division. The move ended up not only saving their season, but also resulted in a Stanley Cup championship. In the past eight years, two other coaches — Darryl Sutter and Dan Bylsma — have taken over a team in the middle of the season and won a Cup.

There is no reason why the Canadiens could pull a similar 180 with another voice behind the bench. They have the best goalie in the league in Carey Price, a defenceman in Shea Weber who is in the Norris Trophy conversation and a top scorer in Max Pacioretty who is two goals back of Sidney Crosby in the Rocket Richard Trophy race.

Yet the Canadiens are a mess.

The team, which went 13-1-1 to start the season, has the worst record in the NHL since the beginning of February. Price hasn’t been nearly as sharp as he was at the beginning of the season, but it’s hard to blame the goaltending when Montreal has been shut out in three of its past five games and is averaging two goals per game in the past month.

With Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher both healthy, there are no excuses. The Canadiens, who have another year after this one before Price becomes an unrestricted free agent, need to take advantage of this window before it starts closing and rebuilding teams such as Toronto and Buffalo become even more competitive.

Montreal already made a culture-shifting move last summer, when GM Marc Bergevin traded P.K. Subban to Nashville for Weber.

Now another move is needed.

14 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

FWIW , this year is starting to repeat last year " the worst record in the NHL since the beginning of February "

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/13/to-save-season-canadiens-need-to-fire-michel-therrien

I don’t know if Bruce Cassidy is the second coming of Scotty Bowman. I’m not even sure he is as good a head coach as Claude Julien was.

But what’s clear is that the Boston Bruins, who are 3-0-0 since changing coaches last week, are benefitting from having a new voice behind the bench. And they aren’t the only ones. From the St. Louis Blues to the New York Islanders, the best trades in the NHL this season have concerned a coach, not a player.

It’s called a bump, a boost or a boon. And while there is no guarantee that this short-term surge will continue for the long run, it quite possibly has saved Boston’s season. And a similar move could save Montreal’s season as well.

The Habs, who lost 4-0 to the Bruins on Sunday, still have a six-point lead atop the Atlantic Division. But after losing 10 of their past 13 games, they head into the bye week skidding toward the same proverbial cliff that the team fell off last year.

Maybe the five-day break will give the team a chance to clear its collective head and get back on track. Maybe acquiring a player such as Matt Duchene at the upcoming March 1 trade deadline will make things right. But that’s nearly three weeks away.

By then, the Habs, who have played five more games than the second-place Senators and have four games in hand on the fourth-place Leafs in the Atlantic Division standings, could be out of a playoff spot.

Besides, the Habs don’t really need to make a trade. They just need a jolt in the same way that the Bruins, Blues and Islanders needed one.

In other words, they need to fire head coach Michel Therrien.

When the Blues fired Ken Hitchcock on Feb. 1, the team had lost five of its past six games and was clinging to the final wild-card spot. Today, they are 5-1-0 under Mike Yeo and in third place in the Central Division. The Islanders are 7-2-2 since firing Jack Capuano, having climbed from last in the Eastern Conference to 10th place, just three points out of the wild-card spot.

Even the Florida Panthers, who fired Gerard Gallant in November, have shown a slight improvement since then.

It’s not about Xs and Os. A new coach might assign new roles to players and devise different power-play schemes. But, mostly, it’s a wakeup call to the rest of the team. Trades are harder and harder to execute in today’s NHL, but firing the head coach is an easy way for a GM to get the message across that things need to change.

After that, it’s up to the players.

“It’s been pretty impressive,” Blues defenceman Colton Parayko told reporters after winning their fourth straight game under Yeo. “We’ve just realized that if we want to do this, we’ve got to put together the effort and make sure that we work together as a team. We definitely have the team on paper to be one of the best in the league, so it’s just a matter of showing up and working together. It’s definitely an exciting time for us when we know what we can be like when we play our best.”

A year ago, the Pittsburgh Penguins found themselves at a similar crossroads when they fired Mike Johnston and replaced him with Mike Sullivan. At the time, the team was 15-10-3 and in fifth place in the crowded Metropolitan Division. The move ended up not only saving their season, but also resulted in a Stanley Cup championship. In the past eight years, two other coaches — Darryl Sutter and Dan Bylsma — have taken over a team in the middle of the season and won a Cup.

There is no reason why the Canadiens could pull a similar 180 with another voice behind the bench. They have the best goalie in the league in Carey Price, a defenceman in Shea Weber who is in the Norris Trophy conversation and a top scorer in Max Pacioretty who is two goals back of Sidney Crosby in the Rocket Richard Trophy race.

Yet the Canadiens are a mess.

The team, which went 13-1-1 to start the season, has the worst record in the NHL since the beginning of February. Price hasn’t been nearly as sharp as he was at the beginning of the season, but it’s hard to blame the goaltending when Montreal has been shut out in three of its past five games and is averaging two goals per game in the past month.

With Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher both healthy, there are no excuses. The Canadiens, who have another year after this one before Price becomes an unrestricted free agent, need to take advantage of this window before it starts closing and rebuilding teams such as Toronto and Buffalo become even more competitive.

Montreal already made a culture-shifting move last summer, when GM Marc Bergevin traded P.K. Subban to Nashville for Weber.

Now another move is needed.

hes in the what trophy conversation??? o_0 

anyway, hilarious to see that just like last year, its plain as day to the entire hockey world

Records when a coaching change has been made:

Florida Panthers

Change: Replaced Gerrard Gallant with Tom Rowe

Record at firing (goal differential): 11-10-1 (minus-2)

Since: 13-10-9 (minus-15)

New York Islanders

Change: Replaced Jack Capuano with Doug Weight

Record at firing (goal differential): 17-17-8 (minus-6)

Since: 8-2-2 (plus-11)

St. Louis Blues

Change: Replaced Ken Hitchcock with Mike Yeo

Record at firing (goal differential): 24-21-5 (minus-16)

Since: 5-1-0 (plus-12)

Boston Bruins

Change: Replaced Claude Julien with Bruce Cassidy

Record at firing (goal differential): 26-23-6 (minus-6)

Since: 3-0-0 (plus-8)

Archived