The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Dwight King

H_T_L

10 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

What if we put him, Ott and Shaw on the same line? :4322:

Well, King had the second-worst adjusted 5-on-5 Corsi For on Los Angeles (51.55%) for the season among LA players with 400 or more 5-on-5 minutes, and Ott had the third-worst adjusted 5-on-5 Corsi For on Detroit (45.03%) for the season among Detroit players with 300 or more 5-on-5 minutes, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we'd get comprehensively run around.

9 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Perhaps with a coach renowned for good possession the stats might change

But Sutter and LA are known for good possession stats as well. LA's frequently tops in the league for Corsi. So not sure that will make a big difference.

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Just ok... I agree, but he is new and didn't really get alotof ice-time. I did notice that his presence on the 4th line seemed to inspire McCarron a bit.

Didn't find King did all that much. I'd venture McCarron was more motivated by the fact MB acquired all kinds of people to take his spot in the line-up rather than by King being there.

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Didn't find King did all that much. I'd venture McCarron was more motivated by the fact MB acquired all kinds of people to take his spot in the line-up rather than by King being there.

Well and McCarron still has a potentially high ceiling.  King is what he is. We gave up very little to get him & he's a Moen/Prust type of player. McCarron can still develop into a power forward (possibly) so i hope julien still gives him icetime although I understand that for this playoff run he may feel more confident with a guy like King vs. McCarron.  Still not sure how or why Ott fits into the picture. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Well and McCarron still has a potentially high ceiling.  King is what he is. We gave up very little to get him & he's a Moen/Prust type of player. McCarron can still develop into a power forward (possibly) so i hope julien still gives him icetime although I understand that for this playoff run he may feel more confident with a guy like King vs. McCarron.  Still not sure how or why Ott fits into the picture. 

What I've read about Ott is he's a good faceoff guy. Today at practice he was teaching Galchenyuk how to win a faceoff and there allegedly is a video of him telling the opposing guy in faceoff circle to check out his faceoff stats. 

Hasn't hurt us yet, but not really adding any more then a Big Mac to the lineup IMO (maybe less). The cost was only a 4th, so no big deal if he doesn't work out, I think his mind is still in L.A. Wouldn't surprise me to see CJ scratch him the odd game when everyone is healthy.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Hasn't hurt us yet, but not really adding any more then a Big Mac to the lineup IMO (maybe less). The cost was only a 4th, so no big deal if he doesn't work out, I think his mind is still in L.A. Wouldn't surprise me to see CJ scratch him the odd game when everyone is healthy.

yeah he's been the least effective add in (well and maybe ott) but like you said, the price wasnt high on any of them. 

I suspect at this point Julien is just getting a feel for what each brings.  I think King has been playing a little higher up the lineup (due to injuries) than he should have been. Maybe once he's back to a 4th line role he'll look more comfortable. 

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I'm willing to give him a few more games.

Totally.

The trades definitely made me think Julien and/or Muller had a hand in who they asked for, and if Julien sees some value in King (over say McCarron) I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit.   

If things dont turn around though, i'll just blame you.

43 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Totally.

The trades definitely made me think Julien and/or Muller had a hand in who they asked for, and if Julien sees some value in King (over say McCarron) I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit.   

:5785:

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Totally.

In each of his call-ups, McCarron played well for the first few games and then really seemed to level off in terms of the damage he was doing to other teams. Still throwing hits, but he was less in the opposition's face, less good at forechecking pucks away, etc. So with Mac, I feel like it was more the kid playing himself out of the line-up than King, Flynn, or Ott doing anything to earn a spot. King's kind of found himself moving up the line-up by default, and the coaches clearly seem to think he's got more value than Ott or Martinsen or Flynn, since he was the first addition they threw into the line-up and the guy they chose to move up with Radulov out. Thus far, he's been the most disppointing of the add-ons.

The other important thing in King's case is that the pick we gave up goes from being a 4th to a 3rd rounder if we re-sign him, so he's really got to prove to us that he's worth giving up a third round pick. Thus far, I don't see it, but as a newbie, he deserves a little more time to figure things out.

Archived