Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#88 Brandon Davidson


H_T_L

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Edmonton journal has an interesting article about this trade. they seem to feel we got the better end of the deal!

There are some question marks but definitely one of the most intriguing pickups of the deadline deals.   Im actually shocked that we got some value out of DD (I thought bergevin was going to have to waive him).  Davidson should provide good value on the 3rd pairing & I agree with HW - Nesterov's job is likely gone now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An Edmonton Oilers fan on why Brandon Davidson is his favourite player:

"Brandon Davidson is my favourite player, and I'll tell you why.

Didn't get drafted into the WHL, and had to quit playing hockey because his parents couldn't afford the fees. Grinded it out in the  leagues, and didn't even get into the WHL until he was draft eligible. Thought he was good enough to play in the WHL, and showed up at the Regina Pats camp.

Made the team as a walk on. Quickly led them in plus-minus with a +15 on a  -32 team. Worked like hell on the Pats, and was eventually named Captain.

The Oilers drafted him with a spare pick in the bowels of the 2010 entry draft. After the WHL, he was sent down to the ECHL, where talent goes to die a miserable, bus haunting death. He excelled in the ECHL, impressing the coaches with his work effort and talent. Then...he got cancer. Testicular cancer. Lost a lot of playing time and a huge amount of conditioning and muscle.

Most people would pack it up and go back to western Canada, maybe make some money on the rigs or help out on the farm. Not Davidson.

He beat cancer, and worked his way back to the AHL Barons. Rode the  bus, and impressed the coaches enough that he got his cup of coffee in the NHL. Long road from being too broke to play hockey and going undrafted in the 'Dub.

Then the Oilers drafted Connor McDavid, and Katz cleared out the management - or at least re-shuffled some of the corpses. With his backers no longer (lordy lord Oilers fans hope) in power, many though Davidson's time in the NHL was done. Nope.

He fought his way onto the squad, albeit a NHL-worst defense. He was waiver bait at the start of the year, but by the time days were short and the mercury was low he was playing 25 minutes a night, and excelling. The Oilers are not defensively sound, but many nights Brandon "Barely Drafted" Davidson was the best defenseman on the ice; and not just for the Oilers, for either team.

Love this player."

(Credit: u/DrMarxist via Reddit)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, manquant said:

An Edmonton Oilers fan on why Brandon Davidson is his favourite player:

"Brandon Davidson is my favourite player, and I'll tell you why.

Didn't get drafted into the WHL, and had to quit playing hockey because his parents couldn't afford the fees. Grinded it out in the leagues, and didn't even get into the WHL until he was draft eligible. Thought he was good enough to play in the WHL, and showed up at the Regina Pats camp.

Made the team as a walk on. Quickly led them in plus-minus with a +15 on a  -32 team. Worked like hell on the Pats, and was eventually named Captain.

The Oilers drafted him with a spare pick in the bowels of the 2010 entry draft. After the WHL, he was sent down to the ECHL, where talent goes to die a miserable, bus haunting death. He excelled in the ECHL, impressing the coaches with his work effort and talent. Then...he got cancer. Testicular cancer. Lost a lot of playing time and a huge amount of conditioning and muscle.

Most people would pack it up and go back to western Canada, maybe make some money on the rigs or help out on the farm. Not Davidson.

He beat cancer, and worked his way back to the AHL Barons. Rode the bus, and impressed the coaches enough that he got his cup of coffee in the NHL. Long road from being too broke to play hockey and going undrafted in the 'Dub.

Then the Oilers drafted Connor McDavid, and Katz cleared out the management - or at least re-shuffled some of the corpses. With his backers no longer (lordy lord Oilers fans hope) in power, many though Davidson's time in the NHL was done. Nope.

He fought his way onto the squad, albeit a NHL-worst defense. He was waiver bait at the start of the year, but by the time days were short and the mercury was low he was playing 25 minutes a night, and excelling. The Oilers are not defensively sound, but many nights Brandon "Barely Drafted" Davidson was the best defenseman on the ice; and not just for the Oilers, for either team.

Love this player."

(Credit: u/DrMarxist via Reddit)

An uphill battle for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

An uphill battle for sure. 

Looks like it paid off and he's going to become a regular.  "I think he's good enough to be in the lineup every day," praised Julien. "I know that we need him. He's a very physical player. It's tough to play against him. When I was in Boston, I told my assistants that as much as I didn't like playing against him, I'd love to have him on my team. Now, I do. We're hoping that we'll have him in the lineup on a regular basis, like it should be."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, manquant said:

 

Looks like it paid off and he's going to become a regular.  "I think he's good enough to be in the lineup every day," praised Julien. "I know that we need him. He's a very physical player. It's tough to play against him. When I was in Boston, I told my assistants that as much as I didn't like playing against him, I'd love to have him on my team. Now, I do. We're hoping that we'll have him in the lineup on a regular basis, like it should be."

CJ was actually talking about Emelin here, saying that he was likely going to sit and watch a game but that he thought he was a guy who should be a regular and important contributor and that the plan was still to have Emelin in the line-up long-term. So Davidson is going to have a limited chance to make his mark and steal a spot in the starting 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so happy to see him get his shot here. I hope that Emelin sits for a handful of games to watch for a bit. It will do Alexeï some good!  A little internal competition is good for everyone in this case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FanFromAB said:

I'm so happy to see him get his shot here. I hope that Emelin sits for a handful of games to watch for a bit. It will do Alexeï some good!  A little internal competition is good for everyone in this case. 

With Emelin sitting how do we showcase him for Las Vegas? :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's definitely not going to blow anyone away with his speed or skill but he's a stable D man. Barely noticed him out there which is a good thing. When I did notice, he was going the little things right. 

Petry will play better with him as a partner as well once he builds some chemistry/trust with him.  

Good game BD88 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 3:57 AM, FanFromAB said:

He's definitely not going to blow anyone away with his speed or skill but he's a stable D man. Barely noticed him out there which is a good thing. When I did notice, he was going the little things right. 

Petry will play better with him as a partner as well once he builds some chemistry/trust with him.  

Good game BD88 

I think his speed is underrated.  On the highlights from last night's game vs. Florida, he shows really good hustle on the backcheck on that break by Huberdeau.  The rest of his game was solid as well.  Just another planet aligning for our playoff run.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Hopes his Game 3 performance was enough to win coach's trust :6280:.

I thought it should have been.  In any event, it was way better than any of Nesterov's efforts.  And the team played better, too, particularly Beaulieu.  The results speak for themselves.  The few mistakes the team committed did not turn into goals against this time.  And the one that did get past Carey was, again, a fluke.  Thank God we have a coach that knows what he's doing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...