The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#37 Andreas Martinsen

H_T_L

King appears to be filling the role of DD for Julien. He did nothing but float again tonight but it is obvious CJ does not intend to give Martinsen any more chances ... King is his boy no matter how bad he is ....

40 minutes ago, eldag said:

Any chance we see this guy again or has he been Charles Hudoned by Julien and company?

It is a bit odd that he's sat so long, considering CJ's statement earlier about rotating guys in and out to keep them game ready.  The bright side of this, is that it means we're pretty much healthy, so it's a very low priority to worry about a 4th line depth guy. We have a farm team full of game ready players.

49 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It is a bit odd that he's sat so long, considering CJ's statement earlier about rotating guys in and out to keep them game ready.  The bright side of this, is that it means we're pretty much healthy, so it's a very low priority to worry about a 4th line depth guy. We have a farm team full of game ready players.

I thought at the time, and continue to think, that Julien's "rotate guys" speech was optics. It was a way to sit guys like Emelin and Beaulieu without hurting their confidence. At least he's cognizant and trying, rather than the old 'throw em under the bus' mentality that MT had. 

That said, im sort of surprised Martinsen hasnt gotten some ice time. Especially with King playing as badly as he has.  I appreciate that king is the more skilled player but Martinsen looked quite good in 50% (1 or 2, lol) of his games.  And the guy we traded away has like 5 points in 8 games now so maybe we want to get some use out of AM?

FWIW, Martinsen-Mitchell-McCarron was the 4th line at practice today, and King and Ott were extras. I prefer this 4th line over other incarnations, and to me, King has brought zilch. I don't have high expectations for Martinsen, but at least he brought a bit of energy. Kind of like Ryan White or Lucas Lessio. Skates, hits, tries hard, even if it doesn't bring any substantial offence.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Martinsen-Mitchell-McCarron was the 4th line at practice today, and King and Ott were extras. I prefer this 4th line over other incarnations, and to me, King has brought zilch. I don't have high expectations for Martinsen, but at least he brought a bit of energy. Kind of like Ryan White or Lucas Lessio. Skates, hits, tries hard, even if it doesn't bring any substantial offence.

You're stealing my GDT info. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Re-signed to a 1-year deal. Meh. Definitely not as terrible as if we had signed King but he's still likely taking the place of a youngster like Hudon or Scherbak or McCarron who could be more interesting as a prospect. Martinsen plays with good intensity but he can't score for his life, which puts him in the same class as Lessio, Flynn, DLR, etc. If you're going to be in the NHL, you at least need to be able to contribute offensively occasionally, like a Mitchell or a Halpern or so on.

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Re-signed to a 1-year deal. Meh. Definitely not as terrible as if we had signed King but he's still likely taking the place of a youngster like Hudon or Scherbak or McCarron who could be more interesting as a prospect. Martinsen plays with good intensity but he can't score for his life, which puts him in the same class as Lessio, Flynn, DLR, etc. If you're going to be in the NHL, you at least need to be able to contribute offensively occasionally, like a Mitchell or a Halpern or so on.

Its once again the priorities thing.

I mean I get that as GM you have a lot of 'balls in the air' but shouldnt you address the more important issues first?  If we didnt resign Martinsen until August would it have been the end of the world?
Not to mention: what if we need that moeny?  sure its probably league min but if we found ourselves making a huge deal involving a high paid player like Tavares for example, who's to say that money wont be necessary?

Once again, MB deals with the grinders and the pluggers before he addresses our real issues. 

I like this guy, I just hope we move some dead weight to make room for some of our more talented youngsters. I don't think he would be in Hudon's way but he may affect Big Mac's ice time. I would dump several players like Flynn King perhaps even Mitchell to get some youth that we have with size playing. we need to see what they can be with a real shot!

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

As a thirteenth forward wouldn't it be better than keeping one of the younger players being a healthy scratch too often.

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

As a thirteenth forward wouldn't it be better than keeping one of the younger players being a healthy scratch too often.

If I believed they wouldn't play him, then maybe... but the way MB loads up on scrubs, we'll likely have 3-4 players like Martinsen who hit but can't score. Some of them will play and steal ice time from young talent.

Archived