The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Deadline Acquisitions

BigTed3

What deadline acquisition are you most excited about?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What deadline acquisition are you most excited about?

• Jordie Benn
    • Steve Ott
    • Brandon Davidson
    • Andreas Martinsen
    • Dwight King

Marc Bergevin has gone out and acquired 5 new players in the past couple of days. None of them were really guys rumored to be coming here, so we got surprised by most of them. We want to know which of the five you're most looking forward to seeing play the rest of the year with the Habs and which guy you think helps the team the most.

Of the players he acquired I know of Steve Ott and Benn. Benn because he's Jamie's brother.

The other guys I can honestly say I never heard of so there is no one in particular I'm looking forward to seeing ---I think the majority are UFA's at the of the year anyhow so what was the point

Considering this team is currently in a major scoring slump Im more interested in seeing what CJ does with them as a whole

I'm not sure that I'm excited about any of these players either. The guy I'm least excited about is Martinsen, who by all accounts seems to be a low-skill 4th line player. I'm also not really that excited about Ott, who like Martinsen, has poor possession numbers and awful stats with respect to scoring chances for-to-against. He brings some skill in the face-off circle, but he's a guy we're likely going to have to hide in the line-up.

As for the others, it's a little bit of a toss-up. King brings good size and some ability on the PK, but I worry he'll be over-played on the 2nd/3rd line when real scorers struggle. Benn seems to be a decent 3rd-pairing D man but he's not surprising anyone with his level of play at this point in his career. So FWIW, my vote for now goes to Davidson. I don't even know if he'll be the best of the bunch, but I think he's got the most potential to play above what the expectations are. He seems to be a guy who has decent possession numbers and who has grown a bit as a player over the past little while. His career has also been set back by some injuries and a history of cancer, so he may be a bit of a late bloomer. As I noted elsewhere, I think he can certainly give us something akin to what we got from Gorges or Weaver, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

I was tempted to go with Davidson myself, but for right now, my vote goes to Benn, with Davidson maybe making more of a difference next season. I liked what I saw from Benn so far and am hoping for more of the same. He has some extra motivation to elevate himself, as he was never going to be the #1 Benn in Dallas. Now he can.
Plus he already has a head start with his epic beard, which is as good a reason as any to be excited about this group.

I think Davidson, Benn, and King are all good additions to the team and rank them in that order. Benn and Davidson are both young or young-ish, cost controlled, genuinely good NHL defensemen which are always good players to have around. King is a fine player too, not particularly "excited" about him but he's probably the best of the half-dozen 4th liners on the Habs roster now. Of the three I'm probably most optimistic about Davidson, he's the youngest and was a bright spot on a truly awful Oilers team. Bit of a shame that one of Benn or Davidson probably gets claimed in the expansion draft.

Martinsen I don't really know too well but from what I've seen it looks like he's just a big guy that gets cratered in possession terms. Whatever, Colorado is a tire fire and he skates well so maybe he's better on a better team under Julien. Don't really like the trade but I guess they figured Andrighetto would probably be unprotected in the expansion draft so they at least took a flyer on a big guy that skates OK. Ott was really dumb. The 6th rounder they gave up isn't really a big deal but he's not an NHL calibre player. At least Martinsen is young and can skate so there's a possibility to turn him into a serviceable 4th liner, but Ott is below replacement level and 34 years old. 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm not sure that I'm excited about any of these players either. The guy I'm least excited about is Martinsen, who by all accounts seems to be a low-skill 4th line player. I'm also not really that excited about Ott, who like Martinsen, has poor possession numbers and awful stats with respect to scoring chances for-to-against. He brings some skill in the face-off circle, but he's a guy we're likely going to have to hide in the line-up.

As for the others, it's a little bit of a toss-up. King brings good size and some ability on the PK, but I worry he'll be over-played on the 2nd/3rd line when real scorers struggle. Benn seems to be a decent 3rd-pairing D man but he's not surprising anyone with his level of play at this point in his career. So FWIW, my vote for now goes to Davidson. I don't even know if he'll be the best of the bunch, but I think he's got the most potential to play above what the expectations are. He seems to be a guy who has decent possession numbers and who has grown a bit as a player over the past little while. His career has also been set back by some injuries and a history of cancer, so he may be a bit of a late bloomer. As I noted elsewhere, I think he can certainly give us something akin to what we got from Gorges or Weaver, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Pretty much agree.   

Totally uninterested in Ott and Martinsen.

King is sort of a mix between Prust and Weiss. Could be useful for sure but again, probably not going to be a huge factor either way. 

Benn and Davidson are probably the two most valuable additions, but i dont know what impact they will have. Both are ideally 3rd pairing guys & I while i think they are both more than adequate 3rd pairing guys i really dont think that was ever a major need of ours... 

Maybe we'll get lucky and one of them will actually be able to step into a top 4 role but im not holding my breath.  

the one positive is that we did acquire a few quite good Penalty Killers although to be honest we had good PK guys already, our system has just been terrible until Julien started to fix things a few games ago. 

Archived