The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Marc Bergevin

eldag

General Manager: Marc Bergevin  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bergevin be Retained or Fired?

• Retained
    • Fired
    • I don't know
    • I don't care

I think it would be interesting to get the views of our members on what direction the team needs to take heading into the future.

In my view this is a critical time we are entering for les glorieux for a number of reasons and it will be imperative that the right person is making the decisions that will shape this team for years to come. One only need look at the direction the Maple Leafs have taken to know that it is possible to build a successful and exciting team through the draft and with judicious trades and free agent acquisitions as long as those making the decisions are competent and focused.

So, it behooves us to ask the important questions around the future direction of this team and based on those considerations, determine if we support the current GM Marc Bergevin, or decide that the team would be better served with a new leadership direction.

If a new GM is required the team must act fast as there is not only the Entry Draft to consider but also the Expansion Draft preparations that must be finalized. A major decision must be made as to what to do with Carey Price. This decision will impact several other areas of free agent possibilities and potential trades. We must consider whether Radulov can be re-signed, and whether Markov should be brought back and at what cost? Do we keep Weber or try and trade him now for scoring help when his trade value may be at optimal level? How do we handle Alex Galchenyuk? Do we keep any or all of the current assistant coaches? What about the coaching and management of our AHL franchise? Are we happy with our player development and scouting functions?

Please give this some serious thought and offer your opinions and suggestions. I will also offer my thoughts in subsequent commentaries. We all hope for better from our team as I am sure Mr. Molson does and who knows ... maybe we can help shape the direction?

I think Timons has done a good job, but Bergevin blew it by not firing that [edit] in St John who didn't develop them. As for player movement, it all depends on what is available. A plan should be put together and not a [edit] 5 year plan that didn't come to fruition. The team needs to get bigger and meaner, and crash the net. A garbage goal is as good as a fancy one.  Being fast is good, but it didn't work. An entirely different direction needs to be made, because the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. 

Before the summer of 2016 and aside from his man-crush on MT, I've always liked him and actually think he did a good job as our GM. I also liked his trades and could see the reasoning behind most deals, i.e. Petry, Danault, Weise, Vanek, Ryder, Kassian, etc.

Then he traded Subban for Weber, acquired and signed Shaw to an idiotic contract and also traded Eller for picks. Every single one of his moves since the Subban deal has actually made this team not better but considerably worse IMO (getting Benn for Pateryn being the exception).

Before the Subban trade and after Galchenyuk finished the season at C scoring 30 goals, I felt that we were one scoring center (and a competent coach) away from being a contender. I felt we simply needed to package Desharnais with picks and a prospect for a useful 2C and let's go.

Right now, after all the silly moves MB has pulled in the last 10 months, I think we're missing a mobile, puck-moving LH #2 Dman to play with Weber plus a legitimate 1st and 2nd line center. Instead of being a contender, we're now a mediocre team that's not going to win the Cup anytime soon.

So yes, not only did his 5-year plan fail spectacularly, he actually managed to make this team worse. Much worse. I think it's time to cut the losses and move on. In its current state, this team isn't going to win anything. It's probably not the time for a complete rebuild but there's a lot of work to be done in the summer.

^^ Bang on, Chilla, but further to that not only did his 5-year plan fail, he's also shown a complete lack of understanding of the direction a team needs to take to win in today's NHL. Bergevin has added bottom 6 element after bottom 6 element to his roster here but he has never addressed the glaring needs in the top 6 nor at the top end of his defence. He whines to the media about how hard it is to be a GM and make trades and find skill, but the fact is that he has skill and just doesn't use it properly:

- Subban is probably a top 3 D man in the league and he gets dealt for a guy who's less skilled. You want skill? Don't trade it away on a downgrade.

- Galchenyuk is a top 3 pick who was forecast as being a top line player. He seemed like he was headed in that direction and then his career gets dragged through the mud by a coach and GM who criticize him repeatedly in the media and who shift him back and forth between first-line center and third-line wing. You want skill? You have skill. You just need to use it and be patient with him.

- Hudon has scored 30+ goals in the AHL and been the best player on the Ice Caps for the last 3 years. Yet while many others have been given a shot in the NHL, he continues to languish in the AHL. You want skill? Call him up.

- McCarron. Scherbak. Leblanc. Avstin. Beaulieu. Sekac. Thomas. Semin. All potential skill guys who were never really given a shot to reach their potential. You want skill? FInd an AHL coach who doesn't play career thugs on his 1st line and PP and relegate the young skill guys to 3rd line roles. You want skill? Be prepared to give your young guys a shot in the NHL in the top 9, not just 2 games on the 4th line then press box for two weeks, then one game on the 3rd, then back to the minors. Forwards now see their production peak at around 22-24 years old. The game is faster, the players are ready at a younger age. You look at Florida giving Hubderdeau and Bjustad and Barkov and Ekblad a chance to run the show; Nas turning the reigns over to Forsberg and Ellis and Ekholm and Josi; TB being led by Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, and Drouin; Edm with McDavid and Draisaitl and so on; Tor with Matthews and Marner and Nylander; Wpg with Laine and Scheifele and Ehlers; Cal with Gaudreau and Tkachuk and Monahan; and I could go on. Other teams have not been afraid to turn the reigns over to younger guys to play key roles.

You want skill? You need to be willing to play young talent that you have signed for cheap. You have to be willing to develop these players in the right roles and live with mistakes from time to time. You have to be willing to hold on to skill and not throw them under the bus every time their personalities don't meld with your own or every time they go on a 5-game slump. You have to be able to see that acquiring skill support players at the deadline does more for you than acquiring a bunch of 4th line body-checkers.

So yeah, not only has Bergevin's 5-year plan failed, not only is the team's future worse now than when he took over, not only did he trade away future success for a 1-2 year run and then fail to see that materialize, he also has a complete lack of understanding that what he's done is the wrong method. He still believes in grit and character and guys who have won Cups and size and so on. And given all that, he absolutely should be fired.

This is from Pete Blackburn of foxsports:

Montreal's finish was disappointing but it wasn't entirely surprising.

With that in mind, if there's a single person to point the finger at for the way things ended, it's general manager Marc Bergevin. 

This team's flaws were apparent for a while. They needed offensive help at the trade deadline. Bergevin had a chance to go out and get that offensive help, as there were plenty of hired guns available on the rental market. 

Instead, he acquired Steve Ott, Jordie Benn, Brandon Davidson, Andreas Martinsen and Dwight King. 

Shocker: That didn't do the trick!

Bergevin went for toughness and an improved penalty-killing unit rather than offensive support. He basically sought to outwork opponents and win low-scoring games every night.

That failed, and so did he.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

This is from Pete Blackburn of foxsports:

...Bergevin went for toughness and an improved penalty-killing unit rather than offensive support. He basically sought to outwork opponents and win low-scoring games every night.

That failed, and so did he.

This is really it, at the core. Marc Bergevin has proven himself incapable of getting past his playing days of the 1990s. Low event hockey does not work anymore. "Defence first" is unattainable. "Team toughness" is meaningless, and the pursuit of it is self-defeating. You cannot regularly outwork probability. When you concede so much to the opposing team, as Bergevin's constructed roster has done basically every night, you may luck out once and a while (particularly if you have the best goaltender on the planet), but you are fully at the mercy of random chance. In small samples (like playoff series), that's an invitation to what we just witnessed. This was never going to work, and the only way he couldn't have known it is if he filled his front office with sycophants. Bergevin simply cannot be retained after this ridiculous display of incompetence.

As for his replacement, there are only four possibilities left:

1)Maneuver like mad to go 100% all in next season while we still have Price and Pacioretty. Trade Weber (obviously), trade any youth and picks you need to give yourself the highest possible chance to win in 1-2 seasons, and take your chances.

2)Tear it all down right now. Trade everyone, bottom out for 3-4 seasons, and plan to contend in the next 5-6.

3)Attempt to resign the key players and conduct a surgical rebuild.

4)Do a middling refocus with minor peripheral moves in a desperate attempt to barely make the playoffs and get 2-3 home playoff dates for the next 2 seasons.

In my opinion, only #1 and #2 are worth doing. The "surgical rebuild" path could've been done during the last two seasons if we still had players like Subban and Eller and a front office willing to play the kids, but we're past that. I'm frankly afraid that we're going to get #4, which is the worst possible option. If that happens, we're likely looking at the better part of a decade before we're back where we were over the last few seasons.

Excellent perspective and comments so far .... there appears to be a definite trend in our poll in terms of how people are feeling.

ChiLla succinctly points out the obvious downhill slide beginning with the Subban trade, clearly one of the worst in team history. Not only did Bergevin make an ill-advised trade but he clearly broke faith with the fans of this franchise by outright lying to them beforehand that he was not trying to trade PK. He sided with his incompetent coach and foxhole buddy and ran a generational talent out of town because of his arrogance and incompetence and in the process, hurt the franchise and insulted the fans. On that basis alone Molson must do the right thing for this franchise and fire Bergevin and the sooner the better. Bergevin was hired because of his association with a winning franchise (Chicago) and he is French. He has spent the past 5 years proving he had nothing to do with the success of the Black Hawks but instead rode on the coat tails of Messrs Bowman and Tallon. Because of his arrogance he has nothing but contempt for the fans of this team and the media and there is zero upside to him spending any more time with this organization.

Ted quite rightly points out the shortcomings of how our franchise has dealt with our player development and given short shrift to the talent we had coming up in our system. If you look at our development teams now, our true remaining prospects are few and far between. Bergevin allowed a truly stifling situation in our AHL farm team to fester and it is time to "drain the swamp" and instill a true development culture on our farm. Look at what the Leafs have accomplished in a relatively short time frame with competent leadership and a focus on development.

Habs_93  listed 4 alternative approaches available which I think are very insightful. I also agree with him that the first two approaches are the most realistic to pursue. Alternative #3 would have been preferable at the start of this season but Bergevin ruined that possibility with his idiotic moves trading Subban and Eller and acquiring Shaw. Choice #1 is probably the most popular alternative for most fans of the team but it is a very high risk/high reward path. It is similar to what Washington is doing this season given all their UFA's at the end of their season. Such a plan can wreck very easily with trades that do not work out or simply with injuries or players having below par seasons. Choice #2 is obviously the gutsiest move that would require great resolve on the part of the owner as well as with the fan base. It requires a deep understanding of the club's current situation with a belief that the long game strategy will lead to our goal of  being a real cup contender in the longer term. Chicago did it, and the Oilers and the Leafs are in the process of achieving it. Imagine how amped we would be right now if we were fans of the Leafs/Oilers. Both teams have tremendous promise for years to come. I do not include Ottawa because they have pursued more of an option 3/4 approach and I do not believe they are legitimate cup contenders in spite of their success against Boston.   

Whatever option is taken it must be determined quickly and Molson must take accountability. He will need the fans to buy in to the plan and after 5 years of failure with Bergevin, he must make that decision quickly as his job #1.

10 hours ago, eldag said:

Excellent perspective and comments so far .... there appears to be a definite trend in our poll in terms of how people are feeling.

ChiLla succinctly points out the obvious downhill slide beginning with the Subban trade, clearly one of the worst in team history. Not only did Bergevin make an ill-advised trade but he clearly broke faith with the fans of this franchise by outright lying to them beforehand that he was not trying to trade PK. He sided with his incompetent coach and foxhole buddy and ran a generational talent out of town because of his arrogance and incompetence and in the process, hurt the franchise and insulted the fans. On that basis alone Molson must do the right thing for this franchise and fire Bergevin and the sooner the better. Bergevin was hired because of his association with a winning franchise (Chicago) and he is French. He has spent the past 5 years proving he had nothing to do with the success of the Black Hawks but instead rode on the coat tails of Messrs Bowman and Tallon. Because of his arrogance he has nothing but contempt for the fans of this team and the media and there is zero upside to him spending any more time with this organization.

Ted quite rightly points out the shortcomings of how our franchise has dealt with our player development and given short shrift to the talent we had coming up in our system. If you look at our development teams now, our true remaining prospects are few and far between. Bergevin allowed a truly stifling situation in our AHL farm team to fester and it is time to "drain the swamp" and instill a true development culture on our farm. Look at what the Leafs have accomplished in a relatively short time frame with competent leadership and a focus on development.

Habs_93  listed 4 alternative approaches available which I think are very insightful. I also agree with him that the first two approaches are the most realistic to pursue. Alternative #3 would have been preferable at the start of this season but Bergevin ruined that possibility with his idiotic moves trading Subban and Eller and acquiring Shaw. Choice #1 is probably the most popular alternative for most fans of the team but it is a very high risk/high reward path. It is similar to what Washington is doing this season given all their UFA's at the end of their season. Such a plan can wreck very easily with trades that do not work out or simply with injuries or players having below par seasons. Choice #2 is obviously the gutsiest move that would require great resolve on the part of the owner as well as with the fan base. It requires a deep understanding of the club's current situation with a belief that the long game strategy will lead to our goal of  being a real cup contender in the longer term. Chicago did it, and the Oilers and the Leafs are in the process of achieving it. Imagine how amped we would be right now if we were fans of the Leafs/Oilers. Both teams have tremendous promise for years to come. I do not include Ottawa because they have pursued more of an option 3/4 approach and I do not believe they are legitimate cup contenders in spite of their success against Boston.   

Whatever option is taken it must be determined quickly and Molson must take accountability. He will need the fans to buy in to the plan and after 5 years of failure with Bergevin, he must make that decision quickly as his job #1.

Not sure how happy Habs fans would be if they were out of the playoffs for 10 years. Need to have better comparables. 

From the reporting I have seen from my far western perch in Calgary, it sound like business as usual from Bergevin's mouth and I find that very depressing. Apparently he took no accountability for the team's quick exit or lack of scoring talent, said no way he was trading Price, and that they would try to sign Rads although mindful of cap constraints. Also the usual EDITwas spewed about how hard it is to be a GM and make trades and build through the draft, expect some small adjustments ..... wa...wa...wa.....   CALL A WAMBULANCE!!!!!!

Here's what I would draw from Pinocchio's remarks:

1)Price may or may not be traded depending on which savvy GM returns Bergevin's calls and fleeces him in return for a couple of retreads and a draft pick ....

2)Rads is as good as GONE

3)Minor adjustments means some solid 4th line character players to be added and maybe a Russian retread (Kovalchuk?)

4)Beaulieu is GONE

5)Galchenyuk ..... this is one unhappy young man ..... you don't need to be Kreskin to figure that out! We have managed to turn our budding superstar into a guy who just wants out ..... completely mismanaged from the get go by MT/MB/CJ .....

6)As each day ticks by, the likelihood of Bergevin being fired is diminished ..... I hope the fans of this franchise are prepared and happy with that eventuality and the distinct possibility that this team is about to be doomed to wander in the NHL wilderness of non-contenders for years to come. This is the sad by-product of the salary cap era where teams cannot spend their way out of General Manager incompetency by stealing other teams' stars in free agency. I know Molson is not a strong operational owner but where is he in all this? Is his silence a tacit approval or quiet contemplation of the current management regime? If he has spoken I have not seen any reporting ... can anyone enlighten me further?

Last year at his year end presser MB Said "Blame me.  This is on me."  The Molsons & the BOG stood by him and said "Its fine Marc, we'll give you another shot."

Now this year we make it 6 measly games further & one would assume, its still "on Bergevin" so where is the blame?   Is it not time for the BOG to step in & say "we gave you a chance. You didnt do it." and move on.

Ultimately, i think you have to ask yourself this:  5 Years later are we a better team?

When he was hired Marc Bergevin said he had a 5 year plan to make us contenders.  He inherited a team that had missed the playoffs but for all intents and purposes we were a fringe playoff team with some very good young talent.  He inherited Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Gallagher, Cole (fresh off a 35 goal season) Gionta, Markov, Plekanec & others.  A good young core, a number of tradeable assets and the worlds' best goalie.  He had a top 10 player at both forward and defense.

Are we closer to the cup?  Ive disagreed with many of his moves in the past 12 - 14 months (prior to that i thought he had a better track record) but i was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until after the post season.

When we started this playoffs I said that anything less than a final 4 finish would be a disappointment.  First round is, frankly, not much better than missing the playoffs (worse when you consider our draft pick will be later).  

I think the time has definitely come for the BOG and the Molsons to clear house.  I would, frankly, fire just about everyone on staff.  People I would definitely keep: Julien, Waite, Muller,  maybe Dudley - and i think thats about it.  The whole farm system needs to be cleaned up but ultimately it needs to start with the termination of Marc Bergevin.

He asked for 5 years, he got it.  He asked to trade away youth for 'experience.' He got it. We flamed out in 6 games.  Enough is enough.

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Last year at his year end presser MB Said "Blame me.  This is on me."  The Molsons & the BOG stood by him and said "Its fine Marc, we'll give you another shot."

Now this year we make it 6 measly games further & one would assume, its still "on Bergevin" so where is the blame?   Is it not time for the BOG to step in & say "we gave you a chance. You didnt do it." and move on.

Ultimately, i think you have to ask yourself this:  5 Years later are we a better team?

When he was hired Marc Bergevin said he had a 5 year plan to make us contenders.  He inherited a team that had missed the playoffs but for all intents and purposes we were a fringe playoff team with some very good young talent.  He inherited Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Gallagher, Cole (fresh off a 35 goal season) Gionta, Markov, Plekanec & others.  A good young core, a number of tradeable assets and the worlds' best goalie.  He had a top 10 player at both forward and defense.

Are we closer to the cup?  Ive disagreed with many of his moves in the past 12 - 14 months (prior to that i thought he had a better track record) but i was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until after the post season.

When we started this playoffs I said that anything less than a final 4 finish would be a disappointment.  First round is, frankly, not much better than missing the playoffs (worse when you consider our draft pick will be later).  

I think the time has definitely come for the BOG and the Molsons to clear house.  I would, frankly, fire just about everyone on staff.  People I would definitely keep: Julien, Waite, Muller,  maybe Dudley - and i think thats about it.  The whole farm system needs to be cleaned up but ultimately it needs to start with the termination of Marc Bergevin.

He asked for 5 years, he got it.  He asked to trade away youth for 'experience.' He got it. We flamed out in 6 games.  Enough is enough.

:2008122810303:

15 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Not sure how happy Habs fans would be if they were out of the playoffs for 10 years. Need to have better comparables. 

Habs fans can either be happy with the team tanking, or we can be happy to continue the run of stifling mediocrity. The salary cap exists now, and this is how a team becomes a true competitor.

7 hours ago, habs_93 said:

Habs fans can either be happy with the team tanking, or we can be happy to continue the run of stifling mediocrity. The salary cap exists now, and this is how a team becomes a true competitor.

That is only if you happen to win the lottery and it's a Mathews or McDavid , otherwise if just finishing near the bottom consistently Phoenix would of been a cup contender years ago. Edmonton happened to have 4 #1 picks in 5 years which will now never happen again. If McDavid hadn't come along they may still be out of the playoffs. So tanking by no means is any guarantee of future success.

10 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

That is only if you happen to win the lottery and it's a Mathews or McDavid , otherwise if just finishing near the bottom consistently Phoenix would of been a cup contender years ago. Edmonton happened to have 4 #1 picks in 5 years which will now never happen again. If McDavid hadn't come along they may still be out of the playoffs. So tanking by no means is any guarantee of future success.

Tanking doesn't guarantee success, but bottoming out for 2-4 seasons provides a much better chance of setting yourself up future success than continuing to middle along like we're set to do.

13 hours ago, habs_93 said:

Tanking doesn't guarantee success, but bottoming out for 2-4 seasons provides a much better chance of setting yourself up future success than continuing to middle along like we're set to do.

This.

People talk about the Red Wings, i think it's obvious we will never be able to build a team without tanking like Detroit have done.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, BigTed3 said:

- McCarron. Scherbak. Leblanc. Avstin. Beaulieu. Sekac. Thomas. Semin. All potential skill guys who were never really given a shot to reach their potential.

Maybe the scouting Department  isn't as good as we give it credit

We can name all these prospects with potential , and say they were never given a real shot , but they weren't able to catch on elsewhere either , so maybe they were never really good enough .

Leblanc, Avstin, Sekac, Thomas, Semin ...none of these guys are in the NHL . They couldn't  catch on with the Habs or another NHL Team. 

Beaulieu is here but looks as though he's on the market

McCarron. Scherbak , who knows how they will turn out

Nice

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/stu-cowan-nathan-beaulieu-expects-to-be-back-in-a-canadiens-uniform

On Monday, Bergevin put the blame on Beaulieu and Galchenyuk for their lack of development, saying: “At some point players have to take ownership. So I’m not going to start blaming our people.”

7 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Nice

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/stu-cowan-nathan-beaulieu-expects-to-be-back-in-a-canadiens-uniform

On Monday, Bergevin put the blame on Beaulieu and Galchenyuk for their lack of development, saying: “At some point players have to take ownership. So I’m not going to start blaming our people.”

So he's going to make them disgruntled, but not able to trade them. Brilliant.

7 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Nice

The funny thing is that he's "not blaming his people" yet the Habs continually fail to bring up prospects. How many guys have we seen simply fail to develop in our system? Of the guys MB has drafted, you have Galchenyuk (top 3 overall pick and who bypassed the AHL) and Lehkonen (Habs forced somewhat to keep him because of clause in his contract forbidding going to AHL) who have been able to establish themselves as full-time Habs. Among prospects MB inherited on the farm, you have Gallagher (limited stint in AHL) and Beaulieu who made the jump. That's it, that's all. Everyone else has flopped or doesn't seem to be getting a chance.

There was an interesting table published yesterday on twitter listing the number of games played by players drafted by each NHL team since 2008. Habs are second-last, marginally ahead of Pittsburgh (who were stocked up with prospects prior to 2008). We've had 1368 games played by draft picks since then, compared to 5125 by the top-ranked Isles. The fact is that either our drafting or our development is off, maybe both, although I'd venture the latter is playing a more important role. If Bergevin wants to blame the players, that means he's got to blame dozens of players over the past decade rather than blaming his own admin staff. So once again, Bergevin is "Full of Excuses."

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

The fact is that either our drafting or our development is off, maybe both, although I'd venture the latter is playing a more important role.

That's the crucial question IMO. I'm aware that Timmins has a great reputation around the league but let's face it, after that excellent draft year in 2007 where we got McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban, we've had a several 1st and 2nd line busts in the past 10 years. Going back to 2008, our first and second round picks were Kristo, Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Collberg, McCarron, De La Rose, Fucale, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Juulsen and Sergachev. As you've explained, the only guys who are part of the team right now are Beaulieu, Galchenyuk and Lehkonen. Guys like Kristo, Leblanc, Tinordi, and Collberg are no longer with us (and all look like busts at this point), while the jury is still out on McCarron, De La Rose, Fucale, Scherbak and Juulsen. Even though we seem to have landed one heck of a player in Sergachev, the bottom line is that our track record is mediocre at best when it comes to drafting and developing players. Since none of the guys that couldn't make it here have excelled elsewhere, I'd argue that a several of those picks simply weren't good enough.

I understand that drafting players isn't an exact science and that finding the right players can be very difficult. So is winning the Stanley Cup. Other teams were way more successful in that regard and we should start asking ourselves why that's the case.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

There was an interesting table published yesterday on twitter listing the number of games played by players drafted by each NHL team since 2008. Habs are second-last, marginally ahead of Pittsburgh (who were stocked up with prospects prior to 2008). We've had 1368 games played by draft picks since then, compared to 5125 by the top-ranked Isles. The fact is that either our drafting or our development is off, maybe both, although I'd venture the latter is playing a more important role. If Bergevin wants to blame the players, that means he's got to blame dozens of players over the past decade rather than blaming his own admin staff. So once again, Bergevin is "Full of Excuses."

In fairness, it's not really an "apples-to-apples" comparison to look at the Habs draft picks versus a team like the Islanders.  In the 10 seasons since 2007-2008, Montreal has only missed the playoffs twice and has come first or second in their division six times.  With draft picks in those ranges they're not realistically going to have as many great prospects as the New Yorks of the world, and so the we can't look at those two numbers and say that New York is four times better at drafting or whatever.

With that said it doesn't really change your overall point - twenty-ninth of thirty teams is still bad to matter how you slice it, and over a ten-year period you would expect to see at least someone come up from the AHL and make an impact.  We have had nobody (except maybe Beaulieu, but he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire).

Archived