The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

SERGACHEV TRADED FOR DROUIN

Noob616

Tough to lose Sergachev, but I'm excited about this trade. Drouin is more of a proven commodity at this point. Could this deal come back to bite us? Absolutely. But we needed offence now and we get it with Drouin. I'm ok with giving up Sergachev if it's for a player who can help you for 8-10 years (i.e. you don't deal Sergachev for a guy like Duchene or James Neal or so on, but it's acceptable to make that move for a guy like Drouin, who's just entering his prime).

This trade does highlight for me, however, the need to bring back Markov next year and even more important the need to protect Beaulieu in the expansion draft. You can't lose Beaulieu and not have a young puck mover to replace him going forward.

<Flabbergasted.
Apparently, we now have to protect him the the expansion draft, and he's a RFA in July.

Bonus,,, he's a Quebecer. 

Heck, I watched Sergy in the Memorial Cup,,, this is a big loss. But you gotta give to get. 

7 minutes ago, roy_133 said:

Wonder what this means for Galchenyuk and Radulov both, going to be an interesting summer. Initial reaction is I like it.

I'm worried about what this means for AG. Drouin can play center, but if the team hasn't been interested in playing the likes of Galchenyuk and Eller and McCarron and Hudon full time at center, what makes another young guy like Drouin any better-suited to that role? So have to imagine the Habs have Pacioretty and Drouin penciled in as their top 2 left wingers (with Lehkonen just behind them)... if they don't see AG as a center (which they're not committed to) then either he's on his way out (because he's not a bottom 6 LW) or he's moving to the RW (which could be an interesting solution but then likely means Radulov isn't coming back). Habs are now stacked at left wing (Pac, Drouin, Lehk, +/- Galch) and weak down the middle. Something's got to give. I expect AG will be on his way out for a center sooner rather than later. I think the odds of that being someone like Duchene or RNH are higher than anything else, but we'll see.

I'm worried this means we lose radulov and I just don't think this helps us much if we don't get a center. So far I don't like it if there are no other moves coming. This smells like a media move, something for politics, not something that really makes hockey sense 

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I'm worried this means we lose radulov and I just don't think this helps us much if we don't get a center. So far I don't like it if there are no other moves coming. This smells like a media move, something for politics, not something that really makes hockey sense 

I'm pretty much here, too. Right now it's hard to see this team doing anything without getting a defenceman who can dominate 5-on-5 minutes.

I guess I have to wait and see what MB does with the D . Ive read comments from so called hockey experts that M. Sergachev was Norris candidate material . Now he's gotten rid of two puck moving D men in a row . The D just looks brutal going forward

I'm pretty happy with the trade. Sergachev is a great prospect and will probably be a good player, but I think as a fanbase we overrated him a bit. He's been anointed the next Subban/Markov which is a ridiculously high bar, I'd probably bet against Sergachev ever becoming one of the best 10 defensemen alive like Subban or prime Markov.

With Drouin, the Habs get a bonafide elite player who's only 22 years old for a prospect who *might* be elite some day. When we're talking about going all in on the last year of Price at 6.5M while Pacioretty still only costs 4.5M, there's a ton of value in the certainty adding another elite player without giving up a roster player. To me this move combines going all-in this year without completely mortgaging the future, Drouin is elite now but still only 22 and has lots of RFA years left.

38 minutes ago, habsisme said:

31 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

I'm pretty much here, too. Right now it's hard to see this team doing anything without getting a defenceman who can dominate 5-on-5 minutes.

To me it feels more likely Galchenyuk is gone than Radulov. Perhaps we'll see something built around Galchenyuk for one of the potential expansion draft exposed defensemen (Vatanen/Brodin/Manson etc). A trade built around Galchenyuk for Brodin and retaining Radulov is an interesting possibility, although that still leaves a hole at center... Joe Thornton? :lol:

He is a signed RFA unlike AG & NB. Hmm what will be done before expansion draft ? Trade or protect those guys ? I am nervous that MB would easily rather have less puck handling skilled players skating at the backend...Before I make my initial judgement on this move I will till after next week and probably not till sometime in July... 

4 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I'm pretty happy with the trade. Sergachev is a great prospect and will probably be a good player, but I think as a fanbase we overrated him a bit. He's been anointed the next Subban/Markov which is a ridiculously high bar, I'd probably bet against Sergachev ever becoming one of the best 10 defensemen alive like Subban or prime Markov.

With Drouin, we got a bonafide elite player who's only 22 years old for a prospect who *might* be elite some day. When we're trying to go all in on the last year of Price at 6.5M and near then end of Pacioretty at 4.5M, there's a ton of value in the certainty adding another elite player to the roster without giving up a roster player. To me this move combines going all-in this year without completely mortgaging the future, Drouin is elite now but still only 22 and has lots of RFA years left.

To me it feels more likely Galchenyuk is gone than Radulov. Perhaps we'll see something built around Galchenyuk for one of the potential expansion draft exposed defensemen (Vatanen/Brodin/Manson etc). A trade built around Galchenyuk for Brodin and retaining Radulov is an interesting possibility, although that still leaves a hole at center... Joe Thornton? :lol:

Player for player I think we win this trade... it just doesn't fit our team. We need a C, we need a young puck moving D... we got another winger

1 minute ago, Hab-a-nice-day--33-_mtlc said:

He is a signed RFA unlike AG & NB. Hmm what will be done before expansion draft ? Trade or protect those guys ? I am nervous that MB would easily rather have less puck handling skilled players skating at the backend...Before I make my initial judgement on this move I will till after next week and probably not till sometime in July... 

He's not signed. Still an RFA but needs a new contract with the Habs before next year.

8 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

With Drouin, the Habs get a bonafide elite player who's only 22 years old for a prospect who *might* be elite some day. When we're talking about going all in on the last year of Price at 6.5M while Pacioretty still only costs 4.5M, there's a ton of value in the certainty adding another elite player without giving up a roster player. To me this move combines going all-in this year without completely mortgaging the future, Drouin is elite now but still only 22 and has lots of RFA years left.

I don't think the rules allow a player to play with a stick in one hand and a cane in the other.

18 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Player for player I think we win this trade... it just doesn't fit our team. We need a C, we need a young puck moving D... we got another winger

Absolutely, we win this trade at face value. You give up a potential #1 D man but you get a potential first-line forward. You give to get. Hate to lose Sergachev but we weren't getting Drouin for Paul Byron and a 2nd rounder. I like that we get a guy who's still young, still not quite in his prime but who has proven he can play at a high level already. Sergachev has loads of potential but he hasn't yet proven he can play well in the NHL. Many thought Beaulieu could be a top pairing D man, and he certainly had that potential, but it didn't pan out like that. So we've given up top-end potential but we're still getting the better player now and we haven't given up the future the way we did in the Weber-Subban trade. This could bite us like giving up McDonagh did, but we should also remember deals like Kovalev for Balej where we gave up a skilled prospect and ended up winning the trade by a mile when that prospect didn't pan out.

In isolation, this is a good deal. We still have needs at center and on the back end, but now you have depth on the wing to be able to move a Galchenyuk or a Pacioretty or a Lehkonen or a Gallagher to go out and grab an elite player at another position. Apparently Tavares isn't sold yet on whether to stay with the Isles, and Isles media are reporting NY won't deal him within division... he's potentially available. RNH is rumored to be available. So is Duchene. If MB can swing Galchenyuk + 1st rounder + something else for Tavares or if he can get Duchene without giving up something from his scoring core (e.g. Gallagher + a prospect for Duchene), then we could be looking at a very different and much improved top 6-9. For example,

Pacioretty-Duchene-Radulov

Galchenyuk-Drouin-Lehkonen

Hudon-Danault-Shaw

or

Pacioretty-Tavares-Radulov

Lehkonen-Drouin-Gallagher

as examples. I agree that MB can't be done right now, but this sets him up to work things out. Let's see what he does.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Tough to lose Sergachev, but I'm excited about this trade. Drouin is more of a proven commodity at this point. Could this deal come back to bite us? Absolutely. But we needed offence now and we get it with Drouin. I'm ok with giving up Sergachev if it's for a player who can help you for 8-10 years (i.e. you don't deal Sergachev for a guy like Duchene or James Neal or so on, but it's acceptable to make that move for a guy like Drouin, who's just entering his prime).

This trade does highlight for me, however, the need to bring back Markov next year and even more important the need to protect Beaulieu in the expansion draft. You can't lose Beaulieu and not have a young puck mover to replace him going forward.

This.  Hate to lose Sergachev but its the type of move we need if we truly are looking to win NOW.

Will we start the year with Drouin - Galchenyuk - Danault - Mitchell as our 4 centres?   If yes, its already a HUGE upgrade from last year. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

This.  Hate to lose Sergachev but its the type of move we need if we truly are looking to win NOW.

Will we start the year with Drouin - Galchenyuk - Danault - Mitchell as our 4 centres?   If yes, its already a HUGE upgrade from last year. 

I wouldn't trust it with Drouin at center. My gut says MB thinks this makes Galchenyuk expendable as part of a package for a #1C. I hope they try to keep him there. If we can dangle anybody at this point, I hope it's Gallagher.

2 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

I wouldn't trust it with Drouin at center. My gut says MB thinks this makes Galchenyuk expendable as part of a package for a #1C. I hope they try to keep him there. If we can dangle anybody at this point, I hope it's Gallagher.

Ewwww, He's one of the hardest working players we have, but if it helps us get a #1 C, then, you gotta go for it. 

The thing I'm not sure about is that Drouin and Galchenyuk are pretty darn similar... skilled players who are excellent with the puck, but not proven as two-way players down the middle. Not sure why Habs would think Drouin can handle center when Galchenyuk wasn't able to in their eyes. Both guys can be 60+ point players if given the minutes.

In that respect, imagine the Habs had dealt Galchenyuk for Juolevi and a 2nd or Chychrun and a 2nd (those being two of the other big name D men from the same draft as Sergachev). I doubt we'd be thrilled about that deal. So to me, this trade was a win for Habs.

Archived