The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

SERGACHEV TRADED FOR DROUIN

Noob616

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Drouin played junior as a centre and has some time in the NHL as a centre.  He took over 200 draws last year. 

Galchenyuk was drafted as a centre and has played over 60% of his nhl games as a centre.  

Thats why people say they are possibly both centres.  You may think they are ill suited for the position but you cant really say they "aren't"  centres. 

I don't think they will be playing center (maybe on second powerplay) is all I'm saying and I don't think they can succeed at C

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Drouin played junior as a centre and has some time in the NHL as a centre.  He took over 200 draws last year. 

Galchenyuk was drafted as a centre and has played over 60% of his nhl games as a centre.  

Thats why people say they are possibly both centres.  You may think they are ill suited for the position but you cant really say they "aren't"  centres. 

Point being that Habs have repeatedly slammed Galchenyuk as being too young/inexperienced to get the chance to play down the middle. They've said offensive upside is not enough to offset defensive weaknesses down middle. Yet they gave McCarron and Danault shots down middle despite lack of experience and they played DD down middle despite being abysmal defensively. So if they give Drouin shot at center, just reinforces notion that Habs don't like Galchenyuk. AG seems to be getting treatment the way Subban was treated here. Not really that fair a process.

Just now, habsisme said:

I don't think they will be playing center (maybe on second powerplay) is all I'm saying and I don't think they can succeed at C

And thats totally fair. I am not sure how i feel about either at centre TBH, my point was that you asked "why do people keep calling them centres" and i explained why ;)

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Point being that Habs have repeatedly slammed Galchenyuk as being too young/inexperienced to get the chance to play down the middle. They've said offensive upside is not enough to offset defensive weaknesses down middle. Yet they gave McCarron and Danault shots down middle despite lack of experience and they played DD down middle despite being abysmal defensively. So if they give Drouin shot at center, just reinforces notion that Habs don't like Galchenyuk. AG seems to be getting treatment the way Subban was treated here. Not really that fair a process.

You're trying to use Logic again.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Regardless, they're centermen. The only guys we have that I'd argue do the job well are Plekanec and Mitchell, neither are top line talent and one of them is very likely to be exposed and on his way out.

Just now, RyderRocks73 said:

Regardless, they're centermen. The only guys we have that I'd argue do the job well are Plekanec and Mitchell, neither are top line talent and one of them is very likely to be exposed and on his way out.

I'm not worried about bottom 6 C but top 2 lines IMO we have no one except MAYBE Danault could be an adequate #2

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I'm not worried about bottom 6 C but top 2 lines IMO we have no one except MAYBE Danault could be an adequate #2

We're all hoping that's where MB's going next with this. Barring that, I'd try to move forward with Galchenyuk. His whole situation reaks of Tyler Seguin in Boston.

4 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

We're all hoping that's where MB's going next with this. Barring that, I'd try to move forward with Galchenyuk. His whole situation reaks of Tyler Seguin in Boston.

Yup. 

12 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

They even kind of look alike!

Seguin was traded after 3 years in the league though... Galchenyuk has had 5, I feel like we know who he is... a 30 goal scorer but on the wing, he is not a two-way player

30 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So if they give Drouin shot at center, just reinforces notion that Habs don't like Galchenyuk. AG seems to be getting treatment the way Subban was treated here. Not really that fair a process.

Try asking MB to explain the signing

Subban was given a bridge deal contract AFTER winning the Norris

Drouin  signed  to a six-year, $33-million contract extension. 

Just now, Regis22 said:

Try asking MB to explain the signing

Subban was given a bridge deal contract AFTER winning the Norris

Drouin  signed  to a six-year, $33-million contract extension. 

No he won the norris after signing the bridge deal... I think it has to do with his playoff success and you can't trade a top prospect and then sign Drouin to a 2 year deal

Drouin has one full NHL season with 53 points and a minus 13 with half his points on the PP. BUT, more, importantly ...  HE SPEAKS FRENCH!!!!!

...and all Bergevin had to do was trade away our greatest future on defence since ... well .... PK. Bergevin has again traded away our Number 1 pick to get this guy who will also be an RFA and needs to be protected in the expansion draft. hmmmmm ... when else did Bergevin say someone would never be traded and then turn around and trade him?????   :7072:

Does anyone know what the plan for signing Drouin/GallyA/Price/Radulov/Markov might be?

This is a desperation move by Bergevin to try and hide the damage he has done to this team but because he went and got a French speaking player suddenly he is everybody's hero? Drouin has talent for sure but worth Sergychev ... not a chance in my view given the circumstances. They have a huge CAP problem and have not addressed the #1 problem .... no centreman .......this is why a team has to have a plan ..... not some grab bag of rabbits out of a hat which will always fail when put to the test ..... just as this GM has failed.

Well ..... enjoy! There are Cup parade barricades to be set up on St Catherine's ............... :4224:

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

No he won the norris after signing the bridge deal... I think it has to do with his playoff success and you can't trade a top prospect and then sign Drouin to a 2 year deal

You re correct , I must have mis heard the guys on TSN Overdrive. Either way Subban was not liked in Montreal and I don't think Beauliau and Alex G are either

Just now, rocketbelifleur said:

Does his contract ($33M / 6yrs) affect the Habs' ability to sign Radulov?

Shouldnt.  We're in pretty good shape this year.  Expected $73m cap - i think even with Drouin we are now in the high 50's low 60s.

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I think we can get everyone signed but we couldn't add anyone unless someone moved (or we got vegas to take Pleks or Emelin)

What about a trade of AG + for a top center?

As much as I didn't want to lose Sergychev , I believe talent wise Drouin is an elite talent and Sergy may become one. We get offenseive talent now which is what we need. Our current defense isn't bad and even though Nashville had 4 puck moving D-Men that still didn't overcome Pitts forwards talent. Look at Pitts defenseman that they won the cup with. Letang who didn't play was the only elite puck moving d-man on the team really. We have a great goalie with strong defense. All we have heard on this board is we need more offense well we got it without giving up a roster player. We still have Juelisen possibly and the Check we just signed. Hopefully we hang on to Beau. A top center would be great. I could actually see though starting the season with Danault /Pacs/Rads(hopefully) , then give Druin/AG/Lehkonen (Gallager) a shot if AG or Drouin could step as a center it might be sweet! I'd If AG was slotted as #2 center with Drouin and someone that might end up with tow great lines. I do believe that Sergy will be a good defenseman but this may work out and we could have two strong pp units with Gallager and Shaw as net front players and a lot of skiil now.

2 minutes ago, rocketbelifleur said:

What about a trade of AG + for a top center?

If we, for example, traded AG + Beau + Pick(s) for Tavares, we'd most likely have to dump someone like Emelin or Pleks... but we might want to do that anyway. 

2 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If you've already acquired Douin, why not go after Nate McKinnon.

The habs would be worth watching with all that skill up front (depending who they would lose).

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If we, for example, traded AG + Beau + Pick(s) for Tavares, we'd most likely have to dump someone like Emelin or Pleks... but we might want to do that anyway. 

no, I don't think we'd HAVE to, we could probably fit it in... but if we offered LV a high enough pick I'm sure could dump Pleks or Emelin anyway.... there is no impossible cap situation, that's for sure

Archived