The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: #1 Center

BigTed3

Among these players, who should Marc Bergevin target in a trade for a #1 center?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Among these players, who should Marc Bergevin target in a trade for a #1 center?

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    • Jonathan Huberdeau
    • Matt Duchene
    • Jack Eichel
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • John Tavares

We've already heard rumors of the Habs being linked to Matt Duchene, albeit with questions about whether Duchene is really a #1 center. We've also heard rumors RNH might be available in Edmonton and that Tavares and the Isles are up in the air as to whether he will sign long-term or be made available on the trade market. I'd like to throw out a few more names:

- Nathan MacKinnon: I don't have any doubt he's a first-line forward. He's young. He's played with Drouin in junior. He's a right-handed center, something we've lacked in our top 6 for a long time. He'd be a great fit here. But at what cost?

- Jack Eichel: we know he had issues with the coach last year. So Buffalo has a new coach. But Eichel also called out his teammates... is there enough of a wedge there between Eichel and the Sabres organization that they'd consider dealing him?

- Jonathan Huberdeau: another young, former top-3 pick who can play center or wing and who happens to be French-Canadian. Florida also has a new coach, so might the team be looking to shake things up on their roster?

There are other players potentially available, but MB really needs to focus on finding a 1C who can play the top line now and still be here in 5 years. It's one thing to say who you think the best player is among this group, but what we want to know is who you think makes the best trade target. That means you need to factor in what we'd need to give up to go and get the guy, as well as what that player's contract situation is. Of these 6 players, tell us who you'd target if you were MB and tell us what the deal is that you'd propose to make it happen.

I think it really depends on what we want to give up, and whether we think Drouin can switch back to centre.  He played it in Junior but TB has several quality Centres so he played wing with them.   I am hoping our plan is to use him as a centre but i guess we'll see.

To me there are two scenarios that make sense:
1) an elite centre.  Out of that list you're looking at Tavares, Eichel and MacKinnon 
Obviously they are the best players of the bunch & would instantly be our best forward.  Cost would be high though. We'd have to give up Galchenyuk for sure, and possibly another core forward.   If we could do it for like Galchenyuk + Beaulieu + Pick(s)  Id definitely go this route.  Im all for going big for now.  FWIW I dont think Eichel is moving and id be pretty surprised to see Mack moved either but not surprised at all to see Tavares Traded. 

2) A secondary (but still bonefide top 2) centre.  That inclides RNH, Huberdeau, Duchene
All 3 of these guys could help our squad and I would welcome any of them - depending upon cost.  IMHO Galchenyuk is off the table in discussions for any of these.  I would consider anyone below him on our depth charts but AK, Patches and Drouin would be off limits to get any of these players.   I think RNH could be had for the least. I think he'd be an exceptionally good #2 centre but I do worry about his health.   Duchene would be a good addition too but I think Sakic is asking for too much for him.  Huberdeau is very intriguing but i worry how well he'd fit into our system.    

The no-brainer choice is obviously Tavares.  But I know it's not realistic, won't happen and I'm even doubtful the man himself wants to play in MTL.

Isn't MacKinnon one of Sakic's untouchables? I don't think Colorado will let him go if Duchene is expected to leave.

So for me, the most realistic best choice is RNH.  Age is also on his side with many good years to run.  Edmonton is MB's regular trading partner.  RNH also hasn't endeared himself to Oilers management and fans with his playoff performance.  

On 6/16/2017 at 1:17 PM, maas_art said:

I think it really depends on what we want to give up, and whether we think Drouin can switch back to centre.  He played it in Junior but TB has several quality Centres so he played wing with them.   I am hoping our plan is to use him as a centre but i guess we'll see.

To me there are two scenarios that make sense:
1) an elite centre.  Out of that list you're looking at Tavares, Eichel and MacKinnon 
Obviously they are the best players of the bunch & would instantly be our best forward.  Cost would be high though. We'd have to give up Galchenyuk for sure, and possibly another core forward.   If we could do it for like Galchenyuk + Beaulieu + Pick(s)  Id definitely go this route.  Im all for going big for now.  FWIW I dont think Eichel is moving and id be pretty surprised to see Mack moved either but not surprised at all to see Tavares Traded. 

2) A secondary (but still bonefide top 2) centre.  That inclides RNH, Huberdeau, Duchene
All 3 of these guys could help our squad and I would welcome any of them - depending upon cost.  IMHO Galchenyuk is off the table in discussions for any of these.  I would consider anyone below him on our depth charts but AK, Patches and Drouin would be off limits to get any of these players.   I think RNH could be had for the least. I think he'd be an exceptionally good #2 centre but I do worry about his health.   Duchene would be a good addition too but I think Sakic is asking for too much for him.  Huberdeau is very intriguing but i worry how well he'd fit into our system.    

I consider Huberdeau to be Elite, I think he is ready for the next step. I certainly value him more than I would RNH and I really don't like Duchene at all. I agree that RNH could be a very nice piece and may not cost us too much (keep Galchenyuk). Unfortunately, I think Oilers would rather trade Eberle... but this is when I'd bully the Oilers a little... we can always offer sheet Draisaitl!

The Poll needs an option for "None of the Above" That is my choice. The team's fate has been sealed by the idiotic decision to trade Sergychev for Drouin. Drouin is a good (not great) hockey player to date with only one full season under his belt. Half his points were on the power play while even strength he is MINUS 13. In short sports fans, he needs a surrounding cast to help him be effective. In case you haven't noticed, this team is rather short of offensively gifted players and if you are still scratching your head, let me name them for you in no particular order: Pacioretty, Radulov, and Galchenyuk. We have received lots of signals from our beloved "braintrust" that Radulov will probably not re-sign here and there remain active stories that GallyA is being shopped so that bargainbin can capitalize on his rock bottom trade value at this stage of his career. That leaves us with one major league offensive player to go with Drouin and now we have traded away Bo which leaves some rather healthy questions around just who else we are going to expose to the expansion draft?

The point being is that the window for this crew is officially CLOSED, notwithstanding bargainbin's strident "I don believe in dat!" when asked by the media about the window remaining for this team. The time to begin stockpiling draft picks and unloading contracts is NOW! and the quicker we do this, the quicker the rebuild can begin. Bargainbin should be dismissed now before he does more damage ie signing Price to a long term and expensive contract with a no movement clause as I am sure he is iching to do ......

Archived