The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#34 Michael McCarron 2017-18

habs_93

21 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

What value do you think McCarron has in a trade? He's one guy I would consider shopping. I wonder what GMs consider him to be worth.

Methinks he deserves another chance of maybe 20 games for an accurate assessment. 

I don't think he has much value right now. Maybe a second round pick but you never know. There is enough of a fog around him that maybe there is a GM who believes in him, wanted to draft him... but he's a late first round pick, his value certainly hasn't improved! 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

i like him with chucky but i still dont understand why we have a natural centre playing wing and a natural winger playing centre.  

Scherbak - Galchenuyk - McCarron makes more sense with those 3. 

because everyone is better than AG at everything, have u not been paying attention, but welcome back up, hope he produces

35 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

i watched an interview on RDS when he got called up, he seemed different more fired up and sure of himself even said he was coming up to help these guys win! should be interesting.

He'll be playing with AG and Sherbak, so he "could" do something. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Returned to Laval.

Methinks we have another Tinordi on our hands,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just not good enough.

He just doesn't seem to be fast enough to keep up with the game. Yes, he stands in front of the net, but he needs to show better hands, a quicker shot release, and most of all, improved footspeed. As it stands, I think McCarron could be a 4th liner in the NHL, but I don't see a player who's going to crack the top 9. It's funny, because I really disliked the selection when it was made. Then, McCarron went out and had a monster offensive year in junior and I thought to myself, maybe they did draft him for offence instead of size. But Trevor Timmins' recent interview where he stated MB wanted to get a big center combined with McCarron's lack of performance at the NHL level has me casting doubt again. Some players just take time to develop, particularly when they're bigger-framed and need to adjust to the speed of the NHL, but it hasn't looked like Mac has made much progress in the past 2-3 years.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:27 PM, maas_art said:

i like him with chucky but i still dont understand why we have a natural centre playing wing and a natural winger playing centre.  

Scherbak - Galchenuyk - McCarron makes more sense with those 3. 

Anything is worth a try right now.  Galchenyuk between those 2 might be the secondary scoring threat you currently lack.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

He just doesn't seem to be fast enough to keep up with the game. Yes, he stands in front of the net, but he needs to show better hands, a quicker shot release, and most of all, improved footspeed. As it stands, I think McCarron could be a 4th liner in the NHL, but I don't see a player who's going to crack the top 9. It's funny, because I really disliked the selection when it was made. Then, McCarron went out and had a monster offensive year in junior and I thought to myself, maybe they did draft him for offence instead of size. But Trevor Timmins' recent interview where he stated MB wanted to get a big center combined with McCarron's lack of performance at the NHL level has me casting doubt again. Some players just take time to develop, particularly when they're bigger-framed and need to adjust to the speed of the NHL, but it hasn't looked like Mac has made much progress in the past 2-3 years.

So is he part of your rebuild?  Or do you package him with Scherbak and ship them both out for a missing piece?  The problem with any move Bergevin makes, he'll most likely undersell.  Ala the Adrighetto for Martinsen trade (Still hurts).

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

So is he part of your rebuild?  Or do you package him with Scherbak and ship them both out for a missing piece?  The problem with any move Bergevin makes, he'll most likely undersell.  Ala the Adrighetto for Martinsen trade (Still hurts).

hes not part of the rebuild, but scherbak might be.

the ghetto trade was very frustrating because not only could you clearly see he had skill, he actually put up really good numbers in our tank year at the end when everyone got hurt and he got some ice with good players. I thought they would start him there the next year, but of course we had therrien and his brilliant idea was 5 minutes on the 4th line every night.

mac hasnt shown anything. hes probably got very little trade value, and unlike ghetto i dont see him doing anything anywhere else. hes a throw in on some larger deal

8 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I can't imagine McCarron being instrumental to the team's future. I'd leave him in Laval for an extended period of time. It kind of feels like the ball is in his court to take the next steps. When I've watched him playing for Montreal he always looks lost on the ice. 

I'd also leave him there. Let him play the first line there. We've seen guys like Pacioretty be late bloomers after going back down to the AHL, so I don't think we have much to lose. He's clearly a step behind the NHL gamespeed right now and he's not contributing much based on size alone. He needs to get quicker, he needs to improve his shot release, and he needs to work on his hands with the puck. If he can't develop in at least two of those skill areas, then he won't be more than a 4th liner, and we're certainly not lacking for those.

35 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd also leave him there. Let him play the first line there. We've seen guys like Pacioretty be late bloomers after going back down to the AHL, so I don't think we have much to lose. He's clearly a step behind the NHL gamespeed right now and he's not contributing much based on size alone. He needs to get quicker, he needs to improve his shot release, and he needs to work on his hands with the puck. If he can't develop in at least two of those skill areas, then he won't be more than a 4th liner, and we're certainly not lacking for those.

Agreed.

If he's ever to develop into a top 6 player he needs time to do so. That wont happen at the NHL level.  Let him play in Laval, and if he finds success, when we bring him back up next year try him in the same role, dont ask him to be a grinder on the 4th line because the transition will never work.

• 4 weeks later...

McCarron suffered a scary injury while playing with the Laval Rocket on Saturday night where the former first-round pick had to be rushed to an area hospital for emergency surgery. 

“Big Mac” was hit by a skate in the left ear with the blade causing a major cut that needed to be treated right away.