Em1StVA.jpg

Position: Centre
Shoots: Right
Birthplace: Greenfield Park, QC, CAN 6UKXtFw.png
Birth date: 30 January 1985
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 190 lbs
Drafted by: San Jose
Draft Year: 2004 Round 4 (126th Overall)

Archive 2016-17

Stats | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):

brLdaGC.png

• 3 months later...

I have a feeling DLR is going to gradually take over his spot this year as it would be easier to let go of Torrey than a young guy who could potentially be more. To me, Mitchell has been an amazing 4th line center. Do we see a trade midway through the season? What's the return? 4th round pick?

59 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

I have a feeling DLR is going to gradually take over his spot this year as it would be easier to let go of Torrey than a young guy who could potentially be more. To me, Mitchell has been an amazing 4th line center. Do we see a trade midway through the season? What's the return? 4th round pick?

Agreed... it may even be a good time to cut ties with Torrey now... hopefully via a trade for picks or as part of a trade

DLR has had a better camp than Mitchell, and it's also clear CJ didn't care much for Mitchell at the end of last year. However, I do think we need a right-handed center somewhere. We saw what happened when we didn't replace the likes of Metro/Halpen/White properly and we didn't have a righty for key D-zone face-offs to the right of our goalie.

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

DLR has had a better camp than Mitchell, and it's also clear CJ didn't care much for Mitchell at the end of last year. However, I do think we need a right-handed center somewhere. We saw what happened when we didn't replace the likes of Metro/Halpen/White properly and we didn't have a righty for key D-zone face-offs to the right of our goalie.

Was this something we all discussed? There was an influx of draws lost on the right side of our zone because of handedness?

On 10/1/2017 at 3:43 PM, BigTed3 said:

Could one of our right wingers take those draws?    Shaw (54% FO% last year) is the only guy who jumps out as a decent option but perhaps  McCarron (40-50%) or Gallager (40ish percent career) could be groomed?    Hemsky is also a right shot but has taken very few FO over his long career. 

I agree with you that DLR has looked a lot better than Mitchell & I wonder if it isnt a waste to use a roster spot on him. 

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

Could one of our right wingers take those draws?    Shaw (54% FO% last year) is the only guy who jumps out as a decent option but perhaps  McCarron (40-50%) or Gallager (40ish percent career) could be groomed?    Hemsky is also a right shot but has taken very few FO over his long career. 

I agree with you that DLR has looked a lot better than Mitchell & I wonder if it isnt a waste to use a roster spot on him. 

If we had another skill option to discuss for the 4th line center, I would absolutely be fine with swapping Mitchell out. But barring that, I'm asking myself what skills the 4th liners bring that add value to the team. Do we have guys who go to the net, play with intensity, play well on the PK, win face-offs, etc. These are guys who get 7-10 minutes a night, and you want players who aren't going to hurt you if they get caught out against another team's top lines. Parros hurt us. Laraque hurt us. Mike Brown hurt us. You can't throw those guys out safely. But I'm happy to have a right-handed center like Halpern, Metro, White, or Mitchell here, because it gives us a skill we lack up the rest of the line-up. Shaw has done okay at face-offs but he's concussion-prone and he's frequently in the box at key moments, so hard to ask him to be the guy to take that key late-game PK faceoff when he's the one penalized! As for Mac and BG, well 40% is really abysmal. Most guys are somewhere in the 48-52% range, no matter how good or bad they are. In general, face-off skill is overrated and doesn't affect the game that much, but I still see it having value when you're talking about specific situations. So unless Mac proves he's ready or we get more skill onto the 4th, Mitchell as a right-handed center and PK player gives us as much utility as anyone else we have for that role. I'm excited to see if DLR can really take that next step after his last exhibition game, but he's got to make big strides because he's been a disappointment the past 2-3 years.

Looking at the preseason  DLR appears to understand the role and has vastly improved his ability to create scoring chances and use his size. I am a little shodked  that Mitchell is in the position he is in, but good for DLR. If he can stick it will be an improvement and it looks like he is part of the reason Martinsen has been sent down. We have some very good interchangeable parts for our third and fourth lines and should give teams trouble with those matchups.