The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

According to RDS, there's a rumor that Bergevin might be interested in trading for Claude Giroux. He'd automatically be our No1 center for sure, but that 8.25M Cap hit for 4 more years? Yikes. Declining production also for 3 years in a row now.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/le-coin-des-rumeurs-alex-galchenyuk-encore-disponible-1.4555772

6 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

According to RDS, there's a rumor that Bergevin might be interested in trading for Claude Giroux. He'd automatically be our No1 center for sure, but that 8.25M Cap hit for 4 more years? Yikes. Declining production also for 3 years in a row now.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/le-coin-des-rumeurs-alex-galchenyuk-encore-disponible-1.4555772

I would trade for Giroux at this point but... like I wouldn't give up much. I'm not trading Chucky for him, at least not just for Giroux. Plekanec has to go the other way

and its 5 more years not 4

Trading for Giroux would be a huge mistake. Declining asset, nowhere close to being worth what his contract pays him. If Philly wants to talk trade for Chucky, then my ask would be Couturier and Gostisbehere and work from there. Forget Giroux, trading for him would be a Gomez situation all over again.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Trading for Giroux would be a huge mistake. Declining asset, nowhere close to being worth what his contract pays him. If Philly wants to talk trade for Chucky, then my ask would be Couturier and Gostisbehere and work from there. Forget Giroux, trading for him would be a Gomez situation all over again.

to me it depends on what it costs to get him. If we had traded Chris Higgins and a second round pick for Scott Gomez then it wouldn't have been a terrible trade. It would have ended bad but we would have clearly improved our team in the short term. I would be willing to take that risk for Giroux. I would absolutely not give up anyone like Galchenyuk, not even close! Byron and a second... that's how much I value Giroux and his contract. 

Couturier and Gostisbehere I'd move Chucky for

what else is new. Im no NHL GM but sometimes I think MB ( and his staff  of Rick Dudley, Mellanby , Latty Carriere ) are lost .

He's looking for more people of defence ?

Duh , you got rid of three last week and you added a forward that you didn't need . Most teams I would think would try and trade from a postion of strength . If you're going to get rid of 1/2 your D which includes  a 1st round D man from last year at least have a plan in place to replace them before you get rid of them .

And you needed Centres not another winger .

And don't go around bad mouthing a player ( AG ) you're trying to trade. How do you expect to get a top Centre or D man for AG when you tell the world he's not a # 1 C or a 200 foot player .

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-galchenyuk-still-available-1.788460

The Montreal Canadiens still have some needs after the NHL Draft and TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reported Habs GM Marc Bergevin could still be in on a lot of trade discussions.

McKenzie said forward Alex Galchenyuk’s name is still out there, and the 23-year-old is still available as the Canadiens try to land a centre, and more players on the blue line.

Bergevin left the draft here without getting a lot of what he wanted to accomplish done,” McKenzie said. “He’s still looking for a centre, he’s still looking for more people on defence. Alex Galchenyuk’s name is still out there, lots of teams still talking. I think Bergevin’s in on a lot of stuff now.”

McKenzie did add however, that rumours linking Philadelphia Flyers centre Claude Giroux to the Canadiens are simply that, rumours.

Galchenyuk finished with 17 goals and 27 assists in 61 games for Montreal last season.

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

So was " we're not trading PK " last year

That's what MB said do you expect him to say yes we are. what Bob Mckenzie says is usually true, probably the most trusted sports journalist there is

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

4th Period says Thornton has drawn lots of interest, as has Marleau. They say Thornton camp is asking for 3-year deal.

I don't think either of them want to play here anyway

I'd be willing to give both the same cap hit  they had last year (6.5 & 6.75) on 2 year deals. I'd be willing to go up to 3 but then the hit comes down to 5.5

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I don't think either of them want to play here anyway

I'd be willing to give both the same cap hit  they had last year (6.5 & 6.75) on 2 year deals. I'd be willing to go up to 3 but then the hit comes down to 5.5

Not in interested in Marleau for that much- at all.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Why would Joe want to

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2017/6/26/15871342/joe-thornton-to-montreal-free-agency-rumours-alex-radulov-markov-galchenyuk-contract-ryan-poehling

Monday Habs Headlines: Joe Thornton may consider Montreal as a potential landing spot

Bottom of the barrel?

4 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Why would Joe want to

Thing is, if you're Thornton, you probably only have a couple of more cracks at winning the cup.  Look at most of the contenders in the league: they dont need (or cant afford) JT.   We fit the bill on a few fronts (need, want, probably can afford) etc.  

You can argue we are, or arent a contender, but adding him into the mix would certainly push us a bit closer.   Regardless of our season last year this is a team with some very high profile names: Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Radulov (maybe), Galchenuyk (maybe), Drouin, Gallagher, Petry, Julien even - I could see the appeal to a player trying to figure out what team gives him the best chance to finally get that elusive cup.

34 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-alzner-interested-in-habs-1.790013

Alzner would definitely help our thin blueline.  He'd be an upgrade from Emelin on that top pairing.  I'd also accept Bonino and Daley signing in MTL.

No to Alzner.

Meh to Daley.

Bonino I would take, but he doesn't really address our needs. He's a bit akin to Danault, can play a two-way role but is ideally a 2c/3c and not an offensive center for our first line. Signing him would likely mean we're going Bonino-Danault-Plekanec down the middle and that's just not good enough. If you can dump Plekanec, then I'm fine with Bonino as a 2C and Danault as a 3C, but it doesn't really solve problems for us.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

If you can dump Plekanec, then I'm fine with Bonino as a 2C and Danault as a 3C, but it doesn't really solve problems for us.

Unless we're planning on using Drouin (or Galchenyuk) as #1 C.

Drouin/Galchenyuk - Bonino - Danault - Mitchell/McCarron etc   Would not be terrible. 

11 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Have we been talking to Shattenkirk at all? Is it a problem for him to play on his off side?

You would have to think between Weber, Petry and Shattenkirk one of them would be ok playing on their offside.  Benn, for example is a left handed shot but prefers playing right.

It seems like its been made more and more of a 'thing' to always have LD on the left and RD on the right over the last decade - 20 years or so but in the past it never was as big of a deal. 

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Are MTL looking at potentially using Charles Hudon down the middle, full time this year?  Are they finally going to start looking for answers from within?  

One would hope, but considering they left him completely exposed during the ED, you have to wonder if there are plans or not.  

• H_T_L locked this topic