The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

The entire idea of a proper rebuild not being possible in Montreal due to the high expectations of the market and/or fan base is a total myth in my opinion. Newsflash: We haven't won anything in 25 years. I firmly believe that the large majority of fans would be perfectly fine with icing a young and inexperienced lineup short-term and going through the growing pains. It's signing guys like Alzner or Shaw to inflated long-term deals or adding a random selection of marginal players like Fleischmann, Smith-Pelly, Flynn, Brown, Bartley, Scrivens, Matteau, Hemsky, King, Martinsen, Ott, Nesterov, Morrow, Streit etc. that rightfully drives people nuts, especially if it essentially amounts to nothing and only keeps us playing around .500 hockey without any real chance of winning anything.

1 hour ago, habs_93 said:

No, bottoming out is not a guarantee of success. Just like how playing proper possession hockey is not a guarantee of winning. There are no guarantees, there are moves which serve to put probability on our side as opposed to against us.

This is a deeply mediocre hockey team which has been fundamentally constructed incorrectly. We cannot band-aid this and become contenders again. The core will not support it; they're too old and get paid too much. Price, Petry, Weber, Gallagher, and Pacioretty must be traded ASAP to make sure we get proper value for them. Every we game we play is a possible injury that negatively impacts our future talent a few years down the road.

We are in the preparatory phases of becoming Edmonton and Toronto of the last decade right now.

Good summations of the current mess .... a rebuild is not necessarily a tank if it is done with focus, commitment, and careful talent assessments. This team has won nothing for 25 years and the operating assumptions employed by management are getting real old.  I believe the fans will embrace a rebuild with purpose if it is done with an intelligent plan and commitment by ownership. There also needs to be a shift in this franchise's paradigm that currently accepts lying to the fans as an acceptable strategy in building and operating the team. No .. you do not necessarily make public all negotiations including the draft and trading strategies but you do not make pronouncements in absolute terms and within a matter of hours do the opposite and blindside those who support this organization with their hard earned money.  I have been a fan for over 50 years and I know there are others here of similar vintage who are as fed up as I have become. I would embrace a plan with some thought and transparency that will produce a legit contender within the next 3 to 5 years. As it is ... we are going nowhere with the current regime. Most people capable of objective analysis of our current roster see this easily.

Another myth that needs to be busted is the notion that management and coaching needs to be French speaking. Preferable yes .... mandatory ..... no! The idea that people are hired in to critical management and coaching positions because of their linguistic capabilities rather than their professional hockey credentials makes me sick to my stomach. Nobody cares except for the irrelevant few in the French media. ASK the people who pay the bills!!!!! If this team won the Cup with an English speaking GM/Head Coach would the fans be complaining about their lack of French speaking coaches and management? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!  

If I was Molson I would do the following:

1)Hire one or more respected hockey minds (outside of current organization) to advise on a rebuilding plan and recommend General Manager candidates. They could assist with recruitment and selection of appropriate candidate.

2)Instruct Bergevin to begin immediate efforts to trade Messrs Weber and Price and Pacioretty for maximum return in terms of high end prospects and draft picks. Certain deadwood contracts may have to come back our way to facilitate $$$ in each transaction within each team's cap considerations. ALL TRADES would be vetted by Molson and Advisory group.

3)Secondary trades would also be entertained with the same returns sought with no current roster assets considered untouchable with possible exception of players such as Drouin and Mete.

4)As soon as a suitable GM candidate is identified pull the trigger and exit Bergevin. BE TRANSPARENT with the fans at that point in announcing the organizational changes and the rebuild focus. Bring in managerial talent to facilitate the rebuild as assets become available ala the LEAFS rebuild.

5)Give new management complete authority over the hockey organization including the coaching and player development. The new regime would decide the fate of CJ, the assistants, and same with the farm team.

I cannot think of any other way to proceed that makes sense but if there are other ideas out there it would be great to hear them.

5 hours ago, eldag said:

Good summations of the current mess .... a rebuild is not necessarily a tank if it is done with focus, commitment, and careful talent assessments. This team has won nothing for 25 years and the operating assumptions employed by management are getting real old.  I believe the fans will embrace a rebuild with purpose if it is done with an intelligent plan and commitment by ownership. There also needs to be a shift in this franchise's paradigm that currently accepts lying to the fans as an acceptable strategy in building and operating the team. No .. you do not necessarily make public all negotiations including the draft and trading strategies but you do not make pronouncements in absolute terms and within a matter of hours do the opposite and blindside those who support this organization with their hard earned money.  I have been a fan for over 50 years and I know there are others here of similar vintage who are as fed up as I have become. I would embrace a plan with some thought and transparency that will produce a legit contender within the next 3 to 5 years. As it is ... we are going nowhere with the current regime. Most people capable of objective analysis of our current roster see this easily.

Another myth that needs to be busted is the notion that management and coaching needs to be French speaking. Preferable yes .... mandatory ..... no! The idea that people are hired in to critical management and coaching positions because of their linguistic capabilities rather than their professional hockey credentials makes me sick to my stomach. Nobody cares except for the irrelevant few in the French media. ASK the people who pay the bills!!!!! If this team won the Cup with an English speaking GM/Head Coach would the fans be complaining about their lack of French speaking coaches and management? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!  

If I was Molson I would do the following:

1)Hire one or more respected hockey minds (outside of current organization) to advise on a rebuilding plan and recommend General Manager candidates. They could assist with recruitment and selection of appropriate candidate.

2)Instruct Bergevin to begin immediate efforts to trade Messrs Weber and Price and Pacioretty for maximum return in terms of high end prospects and draft picks. Certain deadwood contracts may have to come back our way to facilitate $$$ in each transaction within each team's cap considerations. ALL TRADES would be vetted by Molson and Advisory group.

3)Secondary trades would also be entertained with the same returns sought with no current roster assets considered untouchable with possible exception of players such as Drouin and Mete.

4)As soon as a suitable GM candidate is identified pull the trigger and exit Bergevin. BE TRANSPARENT with the fans at that point in announcing the organizational changes and the rebuild focus. Bring in managerial talent to facilitate the rebuild as assets become available ala the LEAFS rebuild.

5)Give new management complete authority over the hockey organization including the coaching and player development. The new regime would decide the fate of CJ, the assistants, and same with the farm team.

I cannot think of any other way to proceed that makes sense but if there are other ideas out there it would be great to hear them.

Agreed. Getting rid of our seemingly listless, uninspiring veterans would be a good start.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think we just simplify and fire Bergevin if the team cannot get back to 0.500 by Christmas. And even that is risking him making another silly move and costing us another player we might want to keep. I just know, for certain, that I don't want him to be our GM come deadline time.

Everything is cool according to Mr. Molson so our GM is locked in place unfortunately.

9 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Absolutely, New Jersey isn't quite there yet but they're definitely on the right track because they were and still are willing to properly develop their prospects, even if that comes with not being competitive for some time. The Johanssen trade is a perfect example of how you take advantage of a team in Cap trouble, which unfortunately is a concept MB doesn't seem to grasp. But hey, we have 8 million in Cap space, yet nobody to spend it on.

After being eliminated by the Rangers last spring, I didn't think it was time for a rebuild because I thought the roster was still competitive for another 2 years. However, that was before MB decided to let Radulov and Markov walk for nothing, trade Beaulieu for a freaking 3rd rounder, expose Emelin in the ED and then replace our LHDs with a random cast-offs and nobodies. Just imagine how bad our D would look if it wasn't for Mete, essentially a child who's doing a marvelous job playing against guys twice his size, age and weight. I'm sure we won't finish the year with a shooting percentage around 3% but that doesn't change the fact that we're not going anywhere with the current team. I don't want to jump the gun but after our terrible offseason (Streit? Morrow? Hemsky?), preseason and start to the regular season, I've seen enough. Let's keep a couple of veterans for mentoring purposes and blow this thing up already.

The entire idea of a proper rebuild not being possible in Montreal due to the high expectations of the market and/or fan base is a total myth in my opinion. Newsflash: We haven't won anything in 25 years. I firmly believe that the large majority of fans would be perfectly fine with icing a young and inexperienced lineup short-term and going through the growing pains. It's signing guys like Alzner or Shaw to inflated long-term deals or adding a random selection of marginal players like Fleischmann, Smith-Pelly, Flynn, Brown, Bartley, Scrivens, Matteau, Hemsky, King, Martinsen, Ott, Nesterov, Morrow, Streit etc. that rightfully drives people nuts, especially if it essentially amounts to nothing and only keeps us playing around .500 hockey without any real chance of winning anything.

this is post of the day material.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think we just simplify and fire Bergevin if the team cannot get back to 0.500 by Christmas. And even that is risking him making another silly move and costing us another player we might want to keep. I just know, for certain, that I don't want him to be our GM come deadline time.

He will have traded Galchenyuk by then.  Fine if the return is quality but i think we're going to end up with a #4 dman and a 3rd line winger both north of 27 years old.

Related (if you believe him) from Eklund:

"As for Galcheynuk, the talks with Colorado continue, however I have also heard there have been discussions with Vancouver and San Jose as well....

more on that shortly...:

I would trade anyone 26 or older starting with the best players with the highest salaries. If we get a top end prospect and a number one draft --for for each of  price, weber, patches that would be good enough for me. How about Weber for Darnel Nurse or RNH and Edmontons first. Price to Islanders for Barsal, Putlock and their first overall. ( your not getting taveres, however islanders would swing this deal if they feel tavaers would resign with price coming over and price would likely take this trade with taveres signing long term...Patches for Subban and Nashvilles first overall. :)...

32 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Dreger never went into it anymore than mentioning he's a player Pittsburgh could be interested in.

I could see us asking for Kris Letang.  He's French, an elite-level puck-moving defensman & his addition would instantly make our defense substantially better...on the flip side he's 30 and has played a full NHL season only once in his nhl career.  

Totally not what i would trade chucky for, although I most likely wouldnt want to trade him in the first place. 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

If we're trading Price,Weber or Patches for 1st round picks we better be trading with bottom dwellers otherwise those picks are useless. 

for sure.  and wouldnt it be nice to let Timmins' crew draft the players they want (risk and all) vs. the safe bets we always seem to draft in the first few rounds...

6 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

A Galchenyuk for Letang deal would make me cry.

This totally looks like a deal MB would be willing to swing though.

Then he'll acquire Ladd for Lehkonen/picks or something silly because hurr durr we have the Cap space.

• H_T_L locked this topic