The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

According to both Renaud Lavoie and Larry Brooks of the NY Post, there is some thought that the Habs and Rangers (two struggling teams) could be eyeing each other's rosters for solutions and that there could be thought of a Galchenyuk for Kreider or Galchenyuk for Zuccarello trade. I wouldn't do either, but of the two, Kreider is a much more attractive player than Zuccarello. Every time we've played Zuccarello, he's been pushed around very very easily. Not enough upper body strength to be a consistent threat in the NHL in my opinion. I'd want more than Kreider for AG though, with his being a bit older. Right now, it could be a fair 1-for-1 trade, but that just goes to show how much the Habs have sunk AG's value. If the team plays him at center in the top 6, AG's ceiling is much higher than Kreider's.

57 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

According to both Renaud Lavoie and Larry Brooks of the NY Post, there is some thought that the Habs and Rangers (two struggling teams) could be eyeing each other's rosters for solutions and that there could be thought of a Galchenyuk for Kreider or Galchenyuk for Zuccarello trade. I wouldn't do either, but of the two, Kreider is a much more attractive player than Zuccarello. Every time we've played Zuccarello, he's been pushed around very very easily. Not enough upper body strength to be a consistent threat in the NHL in my opinion. I'd want more than Kreider for AG though, with his being a bit older. Right now, it could be a fair 1-for-1 trade, but that just goes to show how much the Habs have sunk AG's value. If the team plays him at center in the top 6, AG's ceiling is much higher than Kreider's.

I'm pretty sure Carey would be in the Kreider camp too. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Id do Kreider + Sean Day for Galchenyuk.  Its risky (for both sides) but any trade of this magnitude is.  AG + some of the wingers NY has could be a huge boost & lead to very high scoring.  Kreider helps immediately and Day has the potential to be a top 4 puck moving dman. 

Haha, what about AG for McDonaugh??  (Too soon?) :P

24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id do Kreider + Sean Day for Galchenyuk.  Its risky (for both sides) but any trade of this magnitude is.  AG + some of the wingers NY has could be a huge boost & lead to very high scoring.  Kreider helps immediately and Day has the potential to be a top 4 puck moving dman. 

Haha, what about AG for McDonaugh??  (Too soon?) :P

Too late (not too soon)!

New York honestly doesn't have much that interests me in their farm system. They've drafted pretty poorly and don't develop players that well either. Much of their line-up has been patched together via trades and free agency.

Alright, maybe I've been all wrong about Bergevin. He may have just gamed the playoffs.

Step 1: Trade for Kreider
Step 2: Trade Price to an Eastern Conference team
Step 3: Play whatever team that is in the playoffs
Step 4: Automatic trip to the next round, regardless of merit

32 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

Alright, maybe I've been all wrong about Bergevin. He may have just gamed the playoffs.

Love your way of thinking things thru. :)

4 hours ago, habs_93 said:

That only works backwards.

12 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

a lot of galchenyuk to calgary for bennett stuff floating around today, what you guys think about that? 

Bennett is a bust, imagine all the bad talk about AG and multiply it 6 fold. No thanks unless CGY drastically sweetens the offer with picks because they don't have much on the farm.

Bennett's still 21, so I wouldn't call him a bust just yet, albeit I don't think he's going to turn out to be a star or even a 30-goal scorer. He looks like he'll be a 2nd-3rd line player, which is fine, but not worth giving Galchenyuk up for to get. If we're swapping 1 for 1, I'd ask for Monahan, which Calgary won't do. So otherwise, I'd be asking for more than one player and Bennett's not really the guy you want to focus on. If we're dealing AG to Calgary, my ask would be Matthew Tkachuk and Juuso Valimaki. Two younger guys for one more established but still young player... maybe we have to toss in a 2nd rounder to make that even out, but again, we're not in a position where we need to force a trade we don't like and we're not the ones urgently trying to jockey for status to win a Cup, so the onus would be on Calgary to up the offer if they want the best player in the deal and the win-now player.

Friedman said in his 30 (err...31) thoughts yesterday that he thinks the Habs are considering moving Shaw and would consider retaining money. Kinda surprising to hear someone as plugged in as Shaw say that, I figured he was an untouchable especially so shortly after he got that gigantic contract.

Multiple sources reporting LV has given permission to Vadim Shipachyov's agent to talk to other teams about a trade. He has not reported to the AHL affiliate yet since his 2nd demotion. He's a 30 year-old center with a history of success in the KHL and is currently on a 2 year, 4.5M AAV deal. Could be a gamble with the money but could also be a top-6 center solution if given the chance and might be a player you could acquire without giving up much. Rumor is also that Vegas may agree to retain some salary/cap hit, since it doesn't matter that much to them at this point... a possibility if we trade them a 4th or 5th rounder and they retian 1.5M in salary?

12 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

If Vadim Shipachyov cant make it with an expansion team , then IMO that tells you something about him . Habs don't need more of these signings . Steit , Hemsky , Semin etc .  

I think the same as you but Does Marc Bergevin. Scary thought.

Just now, xxdocxx said:

I think the same as you but Does Marc Bergevin. Scary thought.

17 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

If Vadim Shipachyov cant make it with an expansion team , then IMO that tells you something about him . Habs don't need more of these signings . Steit , Hemsky , Semin etc .  

Hang on now their 7-1

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Bob McKenzie reports Bergevin was contacted and told Vegas he has no interest in Shipachyov, so there you go.

Im not actually surprised.  Its a risky play and the problem is probably the fact that Julien wants defensively responsible centres & he's already a little outside of his comfort zone with Drouin.  I dont think CJ would love the idea of Drouin - Shypachyov - Danault - Plekanec etc.  

Id certainly consider it (we could probably get him very cheap, as you eluded to) but I also see the downside. For a team like Vegas to give up on him that quickly makes me wonder if he's wanting "top 6 or nothing" - there's no way he's worse than all 4 of their centres. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Multiple sources reporting LV has given permission to Vadim Shipachyov's agent to talk to other teams about a trade. He has not reported to the AHL affiliate yet since his 2nd demotion. He's a 30 year-old center with a history of success in the KHL and is currently on a 2 year, 4.5M AAV deal. Could be a gamble with the money but could also be a top-6 center solution if given the chance and might be a player you could acquire without giving up much. Rumor is also that Vegas may agree to retain some salary/cap hit, since it doesn't matter that much to them at this point... a possibility if we trade them a 4th or 5th rounder and they retian 1.5M in salary?

Right up MB's alley because we don't have much to give up anyway. 

• H_T_L locked this topic