The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

Lol saves 15 billion in cap space in the hopes he'll get a lucky break to get an impact player. Gets a lucky break, passes on it. Great work Marc, just excellent management of the 30 year old season of the best goalie in a generation. Yeah I get Shipachyov has red flags if he can't make Vegas but we're talking about 4.5M here, and Plekanec is in the last year of his deal. 

FWIW, from GoHabsGo,,,,  " Pierre LeBrun made a very surprising statement about the future of the team, at least for this season.

Indeed, the highly reputed insider said that if Claude Julien's men are not able to get back on track after a very difficult start to the season, all players could end up on a flight out of town. Basically there would be no untouchables within the team."

28 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

FWIW, from GoHabsGo,,,,  " Pierre LeBrun made a very surprising statement about the future of the team, at least for this season.

Indeed, the highly reputed insider said that if Claude Julien's men are not able to get back on track after a very difficult start to the season, all players could end up on a flight out of town. Basically there would be no untouchables within the team."

Meh.  If we're gutting the team Id feel a lot more confident with a new GM at the helm.

In other news apparently Eliotte Friedman said we have been quietly shopping Andrew Shaw. 

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

I'm one fan that won't shed a tear. parting ways with Shaw. He lost me in his first pre season game as a Hab. Been downhill since. Awful pick up by Bergevin.

I agree.  If thats true though & Vegas really wants to get out from Shypachov's contract, why wouldnt Bergevin offer Shaw for Shypachov + Prospect ?   "Not interested" is the answer of a short sighted Manager imho.  There may ultimately not be a fit, but you never dismiss things outright until you've had a chance to really look. 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I agree.  If thats true though & Vegas really wants to get out from Shypachov's contract, why wouldnt Bergevin offer Shaw for Shypachov + Prospect ?   "Not interested" is the answer of a short sighted Manager imho.  There may ultimately not be a fit, but you never dismiss things outright until you've had a chance to really look. 

I'd do it straight up without hesitation. He can't be any more useless.

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Hard to think of any untouchables on this squad. You might have argued Price before, but not with his big contract any more. On D, the closest thing to an untouchable has to be Victor Mete, and he'd get traded if there was a good return. I'd deal Weber's contract for a younger, more affordable star too. Up front, closest thing to untouchables would be Drouin and Lehkonen I'd imagine, but again, not like either one is a franchise cornerstone like a McDavid, Crosby, Stamkos, Subban, Karlsson, Filip Forsberg, etc. Subban was without a doubt the most "untouchable" player we had in the past ten years and Marc Bergevin let him get touched.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I'm one fan that wouldn't shed a tear. parting ways with Shaw. He lost me in his first pre season game as a Hab. Been downhill since. Awful pick up by Bergevin.

Ditto. Shaw's not my type of player. Too many bad penalties that appear selfish, too many times where he's running his mouth at opposition players or refs, and not enough to show for it on the ice. You look at a guy like Gallagher and he yaps too, but he plays hard and he knows when to focus and he doesn't take nearly as many awful penalties. Shaw is more of a showboater and I frankly don't find him to be all that mature on the ice.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Keeping in mind George McPhee opted to take Emelin over Hudon, so he's a guy you might be able to take advantage of.

With all the Rangers bigwigs at the Montreal-Ottawa game there are plenty of rumors circulating the last 2 days.  Some say they were scouting Galchenyuk while others suggest they really really want Pacioretty.  Ive also read that they like Shaw a lot.

I still would really like to NOT deal Galchenyuk.    I know that it would hurt to lose Pacioretty but with only 2 years left on his sweetheart deal, I think his value is only going to go down from here (and i dont want to be the team who resigns him to the next contract).  

One name that ive heard thrown out there is Brady Skjei - who i would be very interested in & would make out top 4 a lot better.  I think Pacioretty is worth more than him and while i wouldnt trade Galchenyuk straight up for Skjei, i think right now thats probably about where his value is at. 

53 minutes ago, maas_art said:

With all the Rangers bigwigs at the Montreal-Ottawa game there are plenty of rumors circulating the last 2 days.  Some say they were scouting Galchenyuk while others suggest they really really want Pacioretty.  Ive also read that they like Shaw a lot.

I still would really like to NOT deal Galchenyuk.    I know that it would hurt to lose Pacioretty but with only 2 years left on his sweetheart deal, I think his value is only going to go down from here (and i dont want to be the team who resigns him to the next contract).  

One name that ive heard thrown out there is Brady Skjei - who i would be very interested in & would make out top 4 a lot better.  I think Pacioretty is worth more than him and while i wouldnt trade Galchenyuk straight up for Skjei, i think right now thats probably about where his value is at. 

Methinks the Rags wouldn't trade him, because he an up and comer. He will only get better with  age. But then again,,, you gotta give to get. 

Skjei has performed well for NY but to me he looks a little awkward as a skater. He's got huge shoulder pads and he always looks a little top heavy. I think he's a 2nd-pairing player but I don't see top-pairing potential. If we were to deal AG or MP, I'd want a real top pairing D man coming back. I simply don't see anything NY has that is of interest to us.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Maybe the Rags were scouting the Sens. 

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Skjei has performed well for NY but to me he looks a little awkward as a skater. He's got huge shoulder pads and he always looks a little top heavy. I think he's a 2nd-pairing player but I don't see top-pairing potential. If we were to deal AG or MP, I'd want a real top pairing D man coming back. I simply don't see anything NY has that is of interest to us.

Yeah its a tough call. I know what you're saying about the Rags & what they have to offer. There's more likely a deal for a team that wants to win now. Unfortunately Bergevin seems to think we're in  that boat. 

14 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Maybe the Rags were scouting the Sens. 

Yeah I wondered that too.

Elliott Friedman put his own 2¢ in on the Rags & what they might do. He believes its unlikely they will move any young players but guys like Kreider, Miller, Zuccarello and McDonaugh are apparently available. 

Most of those guys I would have very little interest in but McDonaugh is a guy id kick tires on.  I wouldnt give up youth (even though I know thats what the Rags want) but consider this: McDonaugh is in his prime, has 1 more year (after this one) on his contract and will be in for a big pay-day after that.  Who does that sound like on our roster?  Pacioretty.  I think Max would fetch more than McDonaugh straight up.  Even though I wouldnt want to overpay either of them on their next deal, McDonaugh fits our deficiencies better than Pacioretty going forward (and looking at our prospect pool).

Would anyone consider Pacioretty  for McDonaugh + Gropp /or/ Chytil /or/ Nieves 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah its a tough call. I know what you're saying about the Rags & what they have to offer. There's more likely a deal for a team that wants to win now. Unfortunately Bergevin seems to think we're in  that boat. 

Yeah I wondered that too.

Elliott Friedman put his own 2¢ in on the Rags & what they might do. He believes its unlikely they will move any young players but guys like Kreider, Miller, Zuccarello and McDonaugh are apparently available. 

Most of those guys I would have very little interest in but McDonaugh is a guy id kick tires on.  I wouldnt give up youth (even though I know thats what the Rags want) but consider this: McDonaugh is in his prime, has 1 more year (after this one) on his contract and will be in for a big pay-day after that.  Who does that sound like on our roster?  Pacioretty.  I think Max would fetch more than McDonaugh straight up.  Even though I wouldnt want to overpay either of them on their next deal, McDonaugh fits our deficiencies better than Pacioretty going forward (and looking at our prospect pool).

Would anyone consider Pacioretty  for McDonaugh + Gropp /or/ Chytil /or/ Nieves 

I wouldn't. I think if we were to trade Max he'd be best sent out West to a contending team. I'm very sick of having our ex-players light us up on a regular basis. There's a lot of teams that could benefit from his leadership and experience; Van, Edm, Cal, Arz, these teams have loads of youth that we lack. 

6 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN just said that they don't know where he's going, but he has been traded.

That was a big ol' trade.  Here's how it breaks down:

Ottawa gets Matt Duchene
Ottawa gives up:  1st rounder, 3rd rounder, Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond

Nashville gets Kyle Turris
Nashville gives up:  2nd Round Pick, Sam Girard, Kamenev (The guy i wanted with Weber for PK!)

Colorado gets 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd Rounder, Bowers, Hammond, Girard and Kamenev
Colorado gives up Duchene

Holy Heck Joe Sakic just won the lottery. He got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, a pretty much sure thing young 3rd line centre, a likely 2nd line centre, a probable #4 dman and a backup goaltender.  I know Duchene is a good player but man oh man, that is how you swing for the fences.

Nashville makes a decent move.  Kamenev could be very good but looks to be at least a couple more years away from his potential. Girard is a solid #4 probably, but not breaking that roster.   I have no idea what Ottawa is doing though.  They were weak down the middle so they gave up their best centre for a different centre.  Sounds like something Bergevin would do. lol

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

That was a big ol' trade.  Here's how it breaks down:

Ottawa gets Matt Duchene
Ottawa gives up:  1st rounder, 3rd rounder, Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond

Nashville gets Kyle Turris
Nashville gives up:  2nd Round Pick, Sam Girard, Kamenev (The guy i wanted with Weber for PK!)

Colorado gets 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd Rounder, Bowers, Hammond, Girard and Kamenev
Colorado gives up Duchene

Holy Heck Joe Sakic just won the lottery. He got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, a pretty much sure thing young 3rd line centre, a likely 2nd line centre, a probable #4 dman and a backup goaltender.  I know Duchene is a good player but man oh man, that is how you swing for the fences.

Nashville makes a decent move.  Kamenev could be very good but looks to be at least a couple more years away from his potential. Girard is a solid #4 probably, but not breaking that roster.   I have no idea what Ottawa is doing though.  They were weak down the middle so they gave up their best centre for a different centre.  Sounds like something Bergevin would do. lol

lol yeah exactly, but the guy would have to be a bit older and slower.

what bergy SHOULD do is go turn pacioretty into a package like that. this is exactly what ive been going on and on about this whole time. THATS what I want. 

Very interesting trade. I like it for all three teams actually, Colorado somehow managed to get way more value out of Duchene than Edmonton did for Taylor Hall which is hilarious. Nashville has filthy C depth now with Johansen-Turris-Bonino-Jarnkrok all locked up. Ottawa upgrades at C and gets a guy two years younger signed for another year without parting with Chabot or White.

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

I have no idea what Ottawa is doing though.  They were weak down the middle so they gave up their best centre for a different centre.  Sounds like something Bergevin would do. lol

Not a huge gap between them but I rate Duchene a bit higher than Turris. They also kick the can down the road on their cap problem for another year. Ryan and Phaneuf are signed for $7M forever. Anderson has 2 more years at 4.2M which is a bit scary. Ceci's contract is up and he'll probably get a slight raise. Stone's contract is up this year and he's getting paid. Karlsson's contract is up the following year and he's getting PAID. Turris' contract was up this year and it sounds like Ottawa didn't want to give him 6X6 (he's paid 3.5M now) considering they already have Ryan/Phaneuf/Anderson signed for lots of money deep into their 30s. The challenge is now they'll feel compelled to sign Duchene long term but 6Y/6M is much more palatable for Duchene age 27-33 than Turris age 29-35.

I kinda like it, it's a bit of a steep price to pay but they didn't really give up anything too consequential. They basically gave up two firsts and a backup goalie to sign 110% of Turris for 2Y/6M and retained their blue chip prospects. The Karlsson factor is really important too. He's good enough to drag that team to the 3rd round and a game 7 OT goal away from the cup final. There's no guarantee Karlsson signs in Ottawa in 2019 and he's going to cost a hell of a lot more than 6.5M, so when you have a player that good you have to go all in. This trade guarantees they have Duchene and Brassard for this season and next, imagine if they didn't make this move and Turris walks in the offseason. Going into the last year of Karlsson's contract with...Brassard as your center depth is pretty scary. 

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

Very interesting trade. I like it for all three teams actually, Colorado somehow managed to get way more value out of Duchene than Edmonton did for Taylor Hall which is hilarious. Nashville has filthy C depth now with Johansen-Turris-Bonino-Jarnkrok all locked up. Ottawa upgrades at C and gets a guy two years younger signed for another year without parting with Chabot or White.

Not a huge gap between them but I rate Duchene a bit higher than Turris. They also kick the can down the road on their cap problem for another year. Ryan and Phaneuf are signed for $7M forever. Anderson has 2 more years at 4.2M which is a bit scary. Ceci's contract is up and he'll probably get a slight raise. Stone's contract is up this year and he's getting paid. Karlsson's contract is up the following year and he's getting PAID. Turris' contract was up this year and it sounds like Ottawa didn't want to give him 6X6 (he's paid 3.5M now) considering they already have Ryan/Phaneuf/Anderson signed for lots of money deep into their 30s. The challenge is now they'll feel compelled to sign Duchene long term but 6Y/6M is much more palatable for Duchene age 27-33 than Turris age 29-35.

I kinda like it, it's a bit of a steep price to pay but they didn't really give up anything too consequential. They basically gave up two firsts and a backup goalie to sign 110% of Turris for 2Y/6M and retained their blue chip prospects. The Karlsson factor is really important too. He's good enough to drag that team to the 3rd round and a game 7 OT goal away from the cup final. There's no guarantee Karlsson signs in Ottawa in 2019 and he's going to cost a hell of a lot more than 6.5M, so when you have a player that good you have to go all in. This trade guarantees they have Duchene and Brassard for this season and next, imagine if they didn't make this move and Turris walks in the offseason. Going into the last year of Karlsson's contract with...Brassard as your center depth is pretty scary. 

I like the deal for Nas and Col, not so much for Ott. It's a steep price to pay to go from Turris to Duchene. As you said, he's maybe 110% of what you get with Turris for one year longer, but Duchene will get paid in two years (minimum 7M a season I'd bet) or he'll walk and go somewhere else. So how confident is Ottawa that they're going to contend for a Cup in the next two years? They're a decent team but have probably played above their heads the past two years, and in today's NHL and with parity, making one conference final by no means guarantees you'll be back in the next two years. I'm just not sure going from Turris to Duchene makes Ottawa that much better that it justifies sacrificing a number of high draft picks to do.

Which trade would you say would have been better for us to make:

- Acquire Duchene for Galchenyuk, Poehling, Montoya, a 1st, and a 3rd

OR

- Acquire Turris for Mete, DLR, and a 2nd

I'll say right off the bat that AG is a better asset than Turris, but we don't really have a comparable player to Turris and we know Nashville wanted center help, so let's assume that for us to have played Ottawa's role in the trade, we would have had to give up AG. Personally, I'd go with the second route. If Ottawa knew they didn't want to keep Turris, I would have made that trade with Nasvhille separately, acquired assets, and then flipped only some of them to Colorado to get Duchene. I really think Sakic got way more than he should have, especially with his player having made a trade request and being on a soon-to-be expiring contract. Essentially 6 top-100 draft picks for Sakic in exchange for one guy... good rebuild move. The only justification for giving that up is if you think you can win now. I don't think Ottawa's that close.

• H_T_L locked this topic